Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

Mini fridge in a basement bay.

How many of you have a second fridge taking up one of the basement bays? I have plenty of storage that I don't think I would feel the crunch.

I have two little kids that constantly want water, juice, cold carrots etc.

Having these items in an area they can reach and access would limit the in/out of the coach.

What do you have and what size?
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
How many of you have a second fridge taking up one of the basement bays? I have plenty of storage that I don't think I would feel the crunch.

I have two little kids that constantly want water, juice, cold carrots etc.

Having these items in an area they can reach and access would limit the in/out of the coach.

What do you have and what size?
I have a combo ref/freezer and love it. Mostly used for beer....for medicinal purposes only!!
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

I bought a small fridge, I think it is called a dorm style. Paid less than $100. I have it in a compartment that is vented to the outside.
Does the job. Runs fine on the inverter.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we bought our DSDP it came with a Dometic unit that can be a freezer or refer. We thought...what a waste of space. Then our Norcold quit 3 weeks before it was scheduled to be replaced. LOVE IT NOW!

The idea of having it for the kids outside it pretty good but make sure they know to close it completely. The Dometic we have will fool you sometimes to thinking you closed it.

Bottom line, we will keep it now. BTW...it works on both 12V & 110V. That makes it a nice choice to carry in your toad on an extended excursion and keep things cold.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I love it! I started using my basement Norcold because it cools extremely fast, so, I store food there until the Nocold 1200 takes it's sweet time (about twelve hours) to cool down. Then, when I move things "upstairs", I keep drinks and snacks in it. Also - It's 12vdc or 110vac (not propane). It's removable and can even be used in the toad. Best of all - no fire problems!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

What's the make/model that you are talking about ?
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
What's the make/model that you are talking about ?
Mine is the Dometic CF50. https://www.dometic.com/enus/America...ctdataid=81811
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We bought a small freezer only for a basement compartment.. That works best for us. The inside fridge is large enough, but we wanted more freezer space so we could store meats bought at a commissary store. (and we don't have children with us)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

We have a Norcold freezer/frig in a basement compartment from factory. Also have a Coleman 12V frig for drinks in the same bay when a few of our grandchildren are along. That compartment is sealed with Norcold inside from factory; never have had a heat issue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

DITTO !

We bought the CF80. Fulltimers now. It is on a slideout and clears the slide out wall so the top door goes all the way open. It will freeze your beer if you decide you want beer pops. It cools incredibly fast and holds a ton of stuff without all that wet annoying ice in the way. As mentioned it has a 12 volt cord and two heavy duty handles for transferring to the toad. No chasing ice and the convenience of being on the slide out tray is phenominal.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a dorm room style works great got it for less then a hundred it has a little freezer in it keeps the makings for a bloodymary ice cold
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Dometic freezer or fridge in basement, came with unit. We probably would not have bought it, but since we have it, we use it and like it. So far we have enough storage. I suppose if we get to the point of thinking it's taking up too much room, we'll get rid of it, but so far, no such plans!
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge