Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

Minor Interior Remodel for Cyclists on 1996 Bounder 34H

RVers and Cyclists: My gal and I had bought into the MH as a way to enhance our refound sport of cycling. We wanted to extend touring and have a place to return to after riding that gave us the best level of comfort. We bought an older 1996 Bounder 34H and decided to make the interior a gem for our use. Here are some details of things we decided upon on our shoe string budget that made our ability to ride our cycles even better.
Things we disliked about the RV
1. The Dinette (it is a waste of space in our opinion)
2. Carpet (We really have a more active life than spending it cleaning carpet multiple times a day after cycling)

Things we did to make cycling the goal and RV maintenance less the burden
1. Replaced the flooring with a garage floor product we purchased at Sams Club called G-Flooring
2. Removed the dinette and placed the couch in the area where the dinette used to be
3. removed the captains chair that was by the entrance door
4. crafted a safety floor cover to keep a guest from falling into the RV step hole
5. Got rid of the carpet around the toilet (YIKES was that stinky YUCK)
6. created an interior cycle rack to secure our trikes and give us peace of mind.

This was our main project for cycling improvements.... I think a flooring project was my personal favorite improvement. But having more space inside the MH really helps get around and by reclaiming the area where the stair hole is we got to have a version of dining space. I use a folding chair and the fold up card table that was mounted in the RV behind the passenger seat as our dining area table. This works for us well. Thus we did not lose features we just found new purposes for some.
Questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3635.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	28847  
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #2

Like the look of that flooring , we like you , cycle swim run and have a dog . Carpet not our first choice
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #3

Jimmy: As active users of the MH....we go in and out of the home plenty and park in sand, leaves, water and mud.... have many dogs and they go with us all over. In the carpet config.....we were re-cleaning the RV more than enjoying it. Now ...as you stated... with non-carpet as our choice... we have a floor material that is durable, non-skid, easy to clean and pleasing to look at. The project is over and we are into several small weekend trips with the flooring. the best portion of the floor project was getting rid of the carpet around the toilet. That area was a mess. OYE Momma....just removing the old carpet was an amazing improvement. Scrubbing around the toilet flange and putting that flooring material in place of the carpet in that area made me feel like I did a life saving change to the RV. YUCKerino...to the way they thought carpet and toilets went together.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

Fortunately we have vynal in bathroom , but I feel your pain regards carpet around toilet .
Looks like a great improvement
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #5

Looks good! One of the great things about an older coach is how (relatively) easy it is to convert to a specific lifestyle without breaking the bank. And taking the carpet out of the bathroom is probably the best thing anyone can do. :-)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #6

Bichon... you are so correct about the penny pinch you can do with an older MH. I am not a toss it away type person and see value in the older models. The fact that this model is without the slides and some of the complications of a more complex unit...I have less to learn and to maintain at this time. I might reserve my enjoyment of the bigger features but right now this is great. the feature I might really like is offered in a longer RV... washer dryer set up. I might really like to be able to wash a set of shorts and riding shirt while boon docking.

Craig
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks/sounds great, but post more pictures of all the upgrades!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Looks/sounds great, but post more pictures of all the upgrades!

What Kent said!! More pics!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

I will add more photos. We are getting the MH spruced up for the Thanksgiving trip and after I put my tools away it will make for a nice photo environment. Is there anyone out there that has suffered from the old double pane window that is now chalky white between the panes. I have repaired that issue on both my front sliders too. If you need detail on how to make a worthy repair I will let out my effort to get that reconditioned.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have both a road and mountain bike and have often thought about how to carry them in the coach. I'm just wondering whether that will work once we sell/trade our current mid-entry coach for a front entry DP. We are also setting up for full time use so that might not be a way for us to go. Still...I really like what you did!!!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #11

Looks good, I too am remodeling my 94 bounder, and it is looking good. All fabric and valances were redone in leather and my next project is the bathroom, I already removed the carpet.....going to tile around the toilet. I also wanted to remove the dinette, but the wife gave me the stare down........ will post pics later......
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #12

Warrior: I was getting that from my gal too. I had to pull out the Dinette to install the flooring and she got to see the RV with the couch in place of the dinette and she says...that looks great, let's keep it like this. I could have even placed two couches in the open span....I have a second Bounder as a parts vehicle. I thought about tiling in the restroom and as I made my paper template of the floor and toilet platform and saw the number of tile nips and cuts....I said "this vinyl flooring looks great"....I did the floor in the same material as the rest of my RV project.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior17 View Post
Looks good, I too am remodeling my 94 bounder, and it is looking good. All fabric and valances were redone in leather and my next project is the bathroom, I already removed the carpet.....going to tile around the toilet. I also wanted to remove the dinette, but the wife gave me the stare down........ will post pics later......
How did you do those fabric box covers (valances) over the top of the windows? I can't see how they come off to have the fabric updated...?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #14

Depending on length, Lincolnboy2, there are 2-3 wood screws holding them onto the overhead cabinets (those all have false bottoms on the interior where they run wiring). With the wall mount types, there are 4 'L' brackets screwed to the wall. At least in my '94.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, remodel