Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Miramar 34.2 nightmare

Hubby and I traded in our C-class Thor Fourwinds within months because we realized we needed a bigger unit. We decided on a A-Class for the livable space and purchased a 2017 Miramar 34.2 in April last year. We parked our coach on an RV lot early May and upon opening the full slide, noticed a long rubber piece of molding was on the ground. We weren’t sure where it came from but shortly thereafter we noticed the end cap on the slide started to separate from the slide and you can see where there was no paint so it was obvious. My husband used double stick tape to hold the corner cap in place so we wouldn’t lose it. I wasn't sure if it was our imagination but the problem has grown bigger. We had water leaking inside from the slide up top and on the sides and from the window over the dining table area. When we fled Florida by summer for the big hurricane, water was coming in with the rains and I was able to take a video to document this issue. Just before taking it into service, we noticed the entire wall now has a 1/8-1/4” gap at the top of the wall of the slide and the gap closes upon pulling the slide in. The rear end cap is also separated now and the slide sags enough that the locker door can’t open with out rubbing the bottom of the slide. The motor is now making a loud noise and we heard a pop and felt it jolt when we pulled the slide in at the service department. Hopefully it gets done right but it’s really upsetting that we’re having these problems on this new unit. We have put less than 1,000 miles on the coach and these issues are really disheartening.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, was it fixed right by Thor?

MRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Unfortunately all new rigs have issues that need to be addressed. The demand is so great that build time is expedited and there is no debugging done. Manufacturers release the product and expect a certain amount of returns for rework and repair. Most manufacturers will do a decent repair job. But unfortunately they expect us to find the anomalies. Best of luck!

Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

Unfortunately the predominant thinking, today, is you are to expect to require repairs and adjustments. The manufacturers are cranking them out as quickly as they can with less thought to quality control and any final inspection.

The dealers are expected to do a through pre-delivery inspection and catch all they can that the manufacturer couldn't afford the time to rework. The dealers are selling record numbers of units and need to get the unit off their lot and paid for. Almost all dealers are multi-line and experienced repair technicians as well as factory assemblers are in short supply and new hires receive dubious training. It makes it hard to know your product

You are the party who is expected to accept shoddy work, either to schedule a return to the dealer or attempt to fix it yourself. You are not compensated for your time or inconvenience, it's expected. Learn to live with what you can and attempt to get that which you can't corrected.

The Automotive industry went through this until the Japanese taught we Americans the "foreign" concept of quality control. The RV industry is light years away from implementing anything close.

Sorry for the truth I was a Service Manager from the late sixties until 2012. Detroit puts out some fine vehicles "today", but it's almost too late. They've allowed foreign makes to surge ahead and doubtful they'll ever build the number of vehicles they had. It actually breaks my heart we've lost ground in auto manufacturing, probably for good. I love this country, all my vehicles are American and I proudly served in the military.

Ok, that's my .02 Time to flame me.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #4

I appreciate your honesty. Before we took delivery, I noticed a few things including a slashed tire, which was definitely something that got corrected. They didn’t want to replace the tire but at $600 plus a tire, it wasn’t up for discussion. We learned more with this second one than the first one because we didn’t keep the first one long. Seemed that C-class didn’t give us much headaches. What I do know now is as the consumer we just about have to go through with white gloves and a magnifying glass to make sure everything is in order. Somethings just are not evident on delivery, so it’s tough. Not sure I’d buy another. All the negative aside, I do love the coach.

When we were shopping for Class-A’s there was one with a myriad of problems they were trying to get us to buy at a steep discount. I could not get past all the problems even thought they assured us they’d fix everything. We later found out the dealer holds older units that folks ealk through and have broken items which they absolutely will not fix until they have a contract on it because the dealer does not want to incur the expense and they wait until it’s under contract to run it under the warranty.

Live and learn I suppose. Thank you for your input. Thank you also for your support ~ my daughter is away in the Army. I have a whole different respect for military and veterans.
MRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
With the issues you have I would take it up to the Thor Factory facility in Wakarusa Indiana. I wouldn't trust a dealer to fix the slide properly. I'm going up in April to have my full wall slide adjusted. They do good work there with a good attitude.
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
With the issues you have I would take it up to the Thor Factory facility in Wakarusa Indiana. I wouldn't trust a dealer to fix the slide properly. I'm going up in April to have my full wall slide adjusted. They do good work there with a good attitude.
X2. My coach is at Wakarusa now getting a few new-coach bugs fixed under warranty. Last week they called to say they found a few other things I hadn't and they were going to fix that too! Really? That's customer service to me. Get an appointment with Thor Service. Good luck.
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post

We are scheduled for February 26 for cosmetic (mainly) issues, but nothing that effects the livability or enjoyment.