Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Damon Owners Club

My coach has both drivers and passenger forward mounted mirrors. I've seen coached that have a drivers side mounted mirror and a passenger front mounted mirror and some with both mirrors side mounted. Seem like pure logic that front mounted mirrors would have less blind spots than a mirror (side mounted) that is mounted at 12" or more to the rear of the coach. Why wouldn't all Class C's have forward mounted mirrors? Seems like all the higher end coaches do. This was an option for my coach.
PS. I have not driven one with side mounted mirrors to compare.

This also opens up another can of worms of how people have their mirrors adjusted. I've seen some that look like out riggers on a fishing boat sticking out about a foot on each side just waiting to get knocked off by a passing tractor trailer truck.

Class A, Koni shocks, Safe T Plus, SuperSteer Rear Trac Bar, CHF.
hdzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Why wouldn't all Class C's have forward mounted mirrors?

I meant Class A's.

Class A, Koni shocks, Safe T Plus, SuperSteer Rear Trac Bar, CHF.
hdzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Being a retired transit bus driver, I would have a problem with a forward mounted mirror on the left side ...or one that you view out of the corner of the windshield. You will notice that all transit buses, OTR buses, and most (but not all) similar commercial buses will have the left mirror mounted on the side.

The reason that buses use this configuration is that the goal is to have the mirror as close in distance to your eyes. The further the mirror is physically located in relation to your eyes, the less area is viewed in the mirror glass itself. It will usually not make a huge difference but that is mainly why you'll see buses with side mounted left mirrors. For me, driving buses for as long as I did, I purposely chose a motorhome with a side mounted left mirror. At one time, I test drove a Newmar with a forward mounted left mirror and it bothered me.

And yes!! Your are definitely correct in that, again for commercial buses, the goal is to have the left mirror head itself as close to the side of the coach as possible. Again, observe any city transit vehicle and you will not see the left mirror sticking out any more than a few inches from the side of the coach. I cringe when I see these Class A motorhomes with their mirrors sticking out a foot from the side of the coach. Not only is it asking for a truck to come by and knock if off but it also makes it easier for the motorhome driver not to hit the mirror head against a fixed object when maneuvering in tight conditions ...or in parlance of transit agencies, "you make the bus wider the further you have the mirror head from the side of the coach ...adjust the arm so the mirror head is as close to the side of the coach as possible." Unfortunately, on some motorhomes, the mirror arm itself may not be adjustable.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote