Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mixed Tire sizes & Truck vs RV

Hello folks,

My "new" 2006 rig has the following:

Front tires are Goodyear G149 RSA LT tires. 245/75 22.5 DOT about 2 years old (don't remember the exact DOT).

Duals are Mich XRV 235/80 22.5 DOT about May of 05.

The Goodyear tires are in great shape but according to documentation are only for freewheel/steer wheel use. The Mich still have a lot of tread, are in decent shape and no obvious weather checking.

Some of the issues for me are:

1. The 235/80s are only made by Mich...well, I haven't found anyone else anyway.

2. Rotation between front and back can't be done. Is that really a big deal?

3. I've read on several threads that the 245/75 size is not a bad alternative across the board. There seems to be some opinion that they are more available in general. Any pros or cons?

4. The 245/75 is available in a few different brands.

I think I'm good for the bulk of this summer since we are just learning the rig and don't plan any super long trips. Maybe by Labor Day we will make a 600-700 mile round trip but nothing longer than that is on the schedule.

So, from what I have read my Michs won't drop dead just because they are 7 years old. I would think that my smart move would be to get my rig to a tire shop and have them inspected. Probably want to do that for wheel alignment anyway. Just not sure about mixed tires for long term.

Thoughts or ideas?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Don't bet your life on it. We blew an inside dual a few years ago just as we pulled off I-20 in Columbia SC at the Flying J. The tread looked great on it as well. This was a 2000 model year and happened in the early spring of 2007. Now it may have been that the tires were older than that. I know Winne buys in large lots. My point is these Michleins looked nearly new and had been covered for the majority of there lives. Glad it was at low speed (just starting off from a red light) and right beside the Flying J. Had it been a steering axle tire at highway speed, it might not have turned out as well. Good luck to you.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ya got a point my friend. I just wish all 6 tires were the same size and age. Might cost more to get them all replaced but having the different sizes and ages makes me think too hard.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about the different sizes/ages part at all.
Not unusual to replace the steer tires first as they "age out"
As long as all the tires on an axle match and the wieght rating is ok, different sizes front to rear don't matter much.

For the rear duals, it is important to maintain some clearance between them. This needs to be checked when going to wider tires. The 245's are 1 cm wider that 235's, half times 2 ends up that they will use up half an inch of the clearance you have between the back tires now. If you have 2", then they will work. If you only have one inch, then you wanna stay with a 235 tire.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

FWIW, I drive for a local school district, the tire rep is on site a least once a week. I have talked to him about this same issue. I wanted to know what kind of deal he could get me on the michelins, he said he could get them alright, but would HIGHLY recommend going to the truck tire , he said you could find them anywhere across the nation if you have tire issues on the road.

Try that with michelins, anyway I needed to save cash, he said to pull off the good michelins put them in place of the 2 outdate ones, install trucks upfront and upgrade when I could for the rears later.

Now if money is no object then your best bet may be to buy all new truck tires, that way you get new and con rotate when you have too.

Just my 02
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote