Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #1

Model Year and Chassis Year Different

We have had way too many problems.today hubby was looking at the Ford warranty and saw that out is 2013 but we bought this unit as it was advertised..A 2014..thoughts

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

i think 2014 is the model year, while 2013 is the manufacture date. they may not be the same. many vehicles were made in the later half of previous year for the listed model year.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Common

If your motor home is a 2014 model, most likely it is on a 2013 chassis. Year model refers to RV manufacturers, but they buy chassis ahead of time. Same here, mine is a 2004 National RV Sea Breeze, and it is on a 2003 Ford chassis.

Warranty should still be from date of purchase.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is correct - the "in service" date is what is important. Regardless of when the coach was made or how long it sat on the dealers lot.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same situation for us. Chassis is manufactured in 2004 according to the VIN but the coach made in 2005. We have a hybrid coach...the floor plan is shown only in the 2006 brochure, but the interior finishes/fabrics and exterior paint scheme is 2005. In any event, it is titled/registered as a 2005.
TinCanTee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
If your motor home is a 2014 model, most likely it is on a 2013 chassis. Year model refers to RV manufacturers, but they buy chassis ahead of time. Same here, mine is a 2004 National RV Sea Breeze, and it is on a 2003 Ford chassis.

Warranty should still be from date of purchase.
Correct, date of purchase starts the clock on all warranties.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

By federal law, the vehicle model-year is established by the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin issued by the RV manufacturer. The chassis is made ahead of time and the VIN is issued by the chassis builder, so is sometimes a year earlier than the model year of the completed coach. This is a normal thing for vehicles made in two separate stages, but is often confusing to owners and even DMV employees and insurers. Don't let anybody tell you the VIN year is the controlling date - it is not.

And as others have stated, the warranties start when the vehicle is sold to the first retail customer.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #8

I ran into a warranty issue with Ford on my 2010 Hurricane. (2009 Ford Chassis) The starter needed replacement and was advised by Ford I was out of warranty by one year when I only had the vehicle for two years and 12,000 miles. Ford advised that the warranty started the day it was delivered to Thor.

When I spoke with Thor they advised that my Dealership should have sent a delayed warranty start form to Ford. My dealership when questioned denied any knowledge of this form.

I paid for the replacement starter and sent the bill to Ford with a letter and copy of my bill of sale on the motorhome. Approx. 2 weeks later received a call from Form Motorhome Division that they had panel of supervisors look at my request for repayment and their decision was to pay me for my claim and that it would take up to six weeks for my file to be updated for future warranty issues.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As noted, warranty starts when the first retail purchaser buys it. The official year of the vehicle is on the title...that's the one that counts.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
By federal law, the vehicle model-year is established by the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin issued by the RV manufacturer. The chassis is made ahead of time and the VIN is issued by the chassis builder, so is sometimes a year earlier than the model year of the completed coach. This is a normal thing for vehicles made in two separate stages, but is often confusing to owners and even DMV employees and insurers. Don't let anybody tell you the VIN year is the controlling date - it is not.

And as others have stated, the warranties start when the vehicle is sold to the first retail customer.

back in 2000,we purchased a coach that had been titled in Indiana as a 1998 due to the "house" builders date. When I titled it in Florida, they used the VIN from the chassis and the title stated it was a 1999.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Split model year comes up often, Industry standard for registration is here: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Motorhomes.pdf

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis