Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Moisture between side window. How did you fix it?

Hi guys,

The stationary part of the window on the door has water/moisture in it. You can see through it but its deffenatly there!

I've had someone say "take off the inner pane and leave it off" while someone else said "drill a hole in the bottom and using a straw from a can of WD-40 spray in a drying agent", while still others say "sell the bus and buy a motorcycle"!

Have you had the problem and what have you done about it? With your coach, not your motorcycle!

Thanks,

Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #2

The only fix is to fix it the right way. I have had all my windows resealed by Dave Root in Bend, Oregon.https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com
You can get a repair kit also and do it yourself.
https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.co...pair-kits.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

When this occurs what I have seen professional window installers do, especially on double pane windows is drill small pin holes in the inside window. This helps let the moisture out. I had a friend who had this problem with her living room window in her house. It appears to have permanently fixed the issue.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
The only fix is to fix it the right way. I have had all my windows resealed by Dave Root in Bend, Oregon.https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com
You can get a repair kit also and do it yourself.
https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.co...pair-kits.html
2 stroker
Numerous threads on this repair. x2 on Dave Root. Dave has done 3 windows on our coach. Came to a campground once, the other time we went to his shop. Several hours are involved doing this job, taking the window out, splitting the panes apart, polishing and removing the staining, replacing the gasket material and reinstalling and caulking the window. If you have let this go on for a while, the moisture causes etching on the inner panes and the panes will need to be replaced. Nothing can be done. This job is doable for the DIYer but a big job none the less. Bend, Oregon is a beautiful area if you are nearby.

As far as drilling holes in the window seals this sounds like back yard engineering to me. The manufacturer would have done this if this was viable. Seems like it would defeat the purpose of dual pane windows.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys,

The stationary part of the window on the door has water/moisture in it. You can see through it but its deffenatly there!

I've had someone say "take off the inner pane and leave it off" while someone else said "drill a hole in the bottom and using a straw from a can of WD-40 spray in a drying agent", while still others say "sell the bus and buy a motorcycle"!

Have you had the problem and what have you done about it? With your coach, not your motorcycle!

Thanks,

Harry
Take the motorcycle!!

Obviously, just kidding. I'm told you don't want to wait to long to get it dried out. Otherwise the moisture inside the glass will start to etch the glass. that's not good.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

To see an example of how to repair the fogged window, in this forum go to "Files" click on "Exterior" and look for "Fogged window repair". I repaired my fogged window and documented the process.

It does take some time, but is not very difficult.

Fred
Old 07-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
RV Glass solutions rebuilds the window with a single pane of safety glass. It's a permanent repair as now there's no air space to fog up. They also have shops in Phoenix and FL.

RV Glass Solutions
91302 Coburg Industrial Way
Coburg, OR 97408
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If you go to the RV show in Quartzsite, AZ (last half of January) you'll find Lake Havasu Glass parked in the southwest corner of the town's main intersection. They did one of our fogged windows a couple of years back for about $200 and it's been crystal clear ever since. They sent their service truck out to our parking spot, about 5 miles out in the BLM land, where they removed the window. They returned later that same day and re-installed it.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #9

Moisture between side window. How did you fix it?

I seriously recommend calling a window expert. Working with glass is tricky. They have the special tools required to work with glass since it is such a fragile material. If there is a safelite auto glass in your area they really excellent and they have mobile service so no need to take it to the shop, since they will come to you. Also they are reasonably price. I had them install a new windshield a couple of years ago. Cost about $150.00 bucks and had lifetime warranty.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

Why not just take the inside window off and be done with it? The noise and hot/cold transmission can't be that significant. It just seems like there should be a simpler solution without driving hundreds of miles and spending hundreds of dollars?

I'll give a local glass guy a call and see what he has to say?

Harry
Old 07-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #11

its to nice a coach to not fix it right.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
just to give my research and background and maybe save you some time. I had 3 fogged windows I repaired myself from info on this forum and youtube videos.

Those of you who suggest "call around to local glass shops" - I live in the metro Atlanta area -- lots and lots of glass shops. I could not find a single one that was interested in doing any work on it. Besides most have no idea how to remove and replace RV windows and they don't have the facilities to handle an RV if you want to take it to them to "take a look". This is just a beast that is out of their area of expertise.

I found 5 options. #1 Take it to a shop that specializes in double pane RV work. Closest to me was central FL or Sealy AR. #2 Remove the window and ship it to them for repair. You or local RV shop does the remove and replacement + shipping. Turn around with shipping is about 2 weeks. #3 Remove the window and take measurements. Contact one of the RV shops to cut you need glass and assemble. Again, either you or RV shop do the remove and replace. #4.. Same as #3 but use single pane of safety glass - same thickness and same amount of work. You can take measurements and have it tempered and shipped to you some have had success in having made locally at a glass shop. #5 If the window hasn't been fogged to long and gotten etched, you can do it yourself. About same amount of work as #3 + split the windows, clean them and re-assemble.

For app. $150 you can get all the materials to do around 5 windows. It isn't difficult to do, but take patience and a clean area to work. This is safety glass you are working with, so very minimal danger in working with it.

Oh.. there is another option I don't think you want to do. Go to the RV mfg or the window mfg and order a new replacement window. Seems that is app. $900.00 for a typical window + remove and replace. I did look into this option as well. If you remove your window you will find the mfg. on a small sticker along the edge of the window, but keep in mind many have sold out, consolidated and or gone out of business.

I think thats about it for my experience with fogged windows.

Tags
moisture, window