Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

MOLD

We are second owners of a 1999 Rexhall. It is loaded and we really like it. Recently wedecided to replace the living room carpet with wood and upgrade the furniture. During the process we found MOLD on the subfloor. Then we found a leakk in the bathroom faucet where the prior owner had tried to repair it with silicone instead of finding and replacing a faulty "O" ring. Naturalky we traced the leak into the bedroom carpet where we suspect more mold. On top of it all Mary is now sick with broncitus.
So, all carpet is coming out, sanitize with Chlorox and put wood floors down.
Why did I post this? Not sure. Perhaps looking for those with similar experience and how they fixed it.
AquaBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

Please make sure you kill all of the mold. Very dangerous considering the small space of a coach. I would research chemicals/sealers/etc. that are made specifically for mold. Also check your vents/ducts.

When we lived in FL, I kept having sinus issues. Come to find out it was due to this weird black mold that was hiding behind our bathroom mirror. It was one of those large mirrors that get glued onto dry wall. When it was installed it was not sealed all of the war around and moisture got in there and that black mold went crazy. After getting it fixed my sinus issues went away.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

Ethylene Glycol (Antifreeze) on the wood that has been damaged and has dry rot. Let it dry for at least a week then do as you will. Don't let small kids or any animals in while it is drying.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

Also wear a mask while removing the carpet etc..
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Buy or rent a good ozone generator to kill mold and remove smells. We purchased one like this. New Commercial Industrial Ozone Generator Pro Air Purifier Mold Mildew Odor | eBay

I run mine overnight whenever we take the motorhome out of storage as the DW has severe allergies.

Follow the safety instructions as breathing ozone can be dangerous.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Second the ozinator. Professionals use them to kill mold in homes. Start them up, close it up, let it run!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBlur View Post
.....................So, all carpet is coming out, sanitize with Chlorox ................
Don't user Clorox........it's chlorine and it will cause metals to rust. You may not see the results for months but, when you do you won't like it.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #8

Before installing the new flooring, seal the old subfloor with Kilz. It is a primer/sealer paint designed to seal in mold and other nasty stuff. Then put your new flooring down. Available at any hardware store.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

Anti freeze, ozinator, and more. WOW thank you for this. Mask, yes. We have two small dogs and am not sure how to work wigh the anti freeze. Mary is doing better. When we tore up the carpet her reaction was immediate and there was no question what caused it. The living room floor is now WHITE Kilz It. Need to start on bedroom next.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Second the ozinator. Professionals use them to kill mold in homes. Start them up, close it up, let it run!
3rd the ozinator. I have this model I bought to get rid of mold in a basement. Works great and gets to places you couldn't using just chemicals.

Ozone attacks rubber though......so don't over do it !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4009483869.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	55697  
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kilz is a good primer I use it all of the time but for sealing the smell and odors there is better primers out there. Make sure you use a prime that is lacquer based. I had a fire in a home and one of the cures was to strip out the insulation and paint over all of the studs with a laquer based primer to kill all of the odor. Since you already have kilz down I would get some clear lacquer and cover that.

I recently had to take a small course on mold for my real estate license. Everyone should read up on that subject. There is only one type of mold that can be fatal and that mold is only fatal if the mold starts where another mold is already in place. Apparently it has a chemical change when it is grown near another mold and changes the composition to kill the other mold. That change is what can be fatal to humans. I agree to use a dust mask and gloves to be cautious. I also agree with the poster that said find out what type of mold it is.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

I have been building homes for 18 plus years. The word mold has exploded because of the companies looking to make a fortune.
Here is an example. You have mold in your basement. Just FYI everyone has mold!!
The restoration companies charge $20-30000
My cost to clean up the area with the same chemicals. $546.00.
It has taken this nation by storm.
indycoltsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsguy View Post
I have been building homes for 18 plus years. The word mold has exploded because of the companies looking to make a fortune.
Here is an example. You have mold in your basement. Just FYI everyone has mold!!
The restoration companies charge $20-30000
My cost to clean up the area with the same chemicals. $546.00.
It has taken this nation by storm.
Very interesting. Thank you.