Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
Are you planning on living in it? if so, yeas... be very careful and get a good inspection done. If it is for vacationing, mostly what needs to run right are the things you mentioned... engine, generator, stove , fridge, steps...
We bought an old Honey, and first thing we noticed running down the road was exhaust smell, so we had the exhaust manifold fepaired, then we had a problem with the wiring mice had been at work previously and the heat of running it finished the deal there, had that fixed. Then, the engine died. Like dead, well, I had already fallen in love and we had put enough into it, even though we looked again for a few months, no one responded or units got sold out on our way to go look/buy.... so we replaced the engine... basically,she ought to run a long time now! Looks aren't that important. Function is. Hope it works out for you and ya'll have a blast!

Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #16
The asking price is what I would expect for a twenty year old RV in generally good condition without any major issues.

To me the bigger issues are the more important issues, like the condition of the engine and drivetrain. Age of the tires is important. If they're old, they will need to be replaced as having a blowout on the highway can damage other things underneath.

The roof looking good and not having any apparent leaks is a plus.

It's a twenty year old vehicle and there will be issues because of that. If you're handy, most, if not all, will be things you can take care of with a little money and a bit of effort. I have a 30-year old RV and have done quite a bit of work on it, but it hasn't become a money pit yet.

The best thing about getting a good inspection is you know what issues there are and you can use them in bargaining with the seller.

If this one doesn't work out for you, there are a lot of others being offered in the same price range.

Good luck with it. Let us know if you get it.

alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #17
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
inspector, inspector, inspector...............get yourself a good one and have them go over the unit top to bottom testing all systems..........download a copy of the owners manual and read it cover to cover, several times while the unit is in for inspection..................with a coach that old, you never want to be surprised...............I would imagine it will take several thousand dollars to get it the unit into shape (tires, etc.).............good luck with this one
Great advice - it will be well worth it!
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #18
Assuming nothing major is wrong I'd be figuring tires, roof repair, batteries, tune up etc. so you're in for another few thousand. As someone else mentioned a 20 year old RV is going to need other stuff fixed eventually (fridge, water heater, AC etc). If you're handy and up for the challenge then go for it if you get a green light from the inspector. Unfortunately, the fact that you need an inspector indicates to me you probably have a steep, and possibly expensive learning curve in front of you.

If I were going to buy an older RV, I'd look for one that's been used recently and maintained. They don't do well just sitting around unless kept indoors or covered. And very few are kept like that.

2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote