Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

Monaco ac power problem (ems?)

I usually am very good on troubleshooting, but this one is also driving me crazy. I am preparing for rv trip and am on home shore power (30a).
Everything was great with power usage for several wks. Today I noticed the voltage was only 112 v. I cked input voltage at transfer panel and had 115v on both input terminals from my home and also 115v on terminals going to rv load center. I also cked if there was current leaving the panel to the rv load center. There was none..
I turned off the ckt breakers at load center that went to the inverter power supply and the voltage on the rv receptacles went to zero. The batteries also when very low. Conclusion-for some reason the ems was using the inverter and batteries to feed ac to the rv.?? I also started the generator and it indicated a 120v on rv receptacles BUT when I turned of the inverter ckt breaker, the receptacles again when to zero.??
More facts later as I continue to search for problem ,,,,but can anyone help...Please

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The inverter is not passing current through. You might check inside the inverter for small fuses on the control boards. If you are lucky, it is just a blown fuse. Good luck and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

I have reviewed over an hour of irv2 posts and several indicated that some receptacles are supplied from the inverter. I don't understand the logic, but the receptacles do show voltage when I close the inverter ckt. bkr. Can anyone explain the logic and is the correct conclusion. It still doesn't explain why the battery voltage when very low unless somehow the inverter was inverting batteries, BUT I did not select invert and the invert green lite was not on although the batteries discharge to very low...
tks rv wizard...but the receptacles are energized when I close the inverter bkr, so "the inverter must be passing current through"
Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
LJJSRZ.....I see you have a Monaco, but a year and model would help. From 2005 and on, most of them have a Magnum Inverter. If yours is a Magnum Inverter, it will go to sleep after awhile and the lights will go off. You won't necessarily know that it's on. Other brands do the same thing.

Most motor homes do not power all of the receptacles in a coach. You don't always want every outlet to run through the inverter, especially outlets that might get a heavy load, like space heaters and bathrooms where blow dryers are being used.

Your A/C's require too much power for an inverter and I recommend to most of my friends to never run your microwave on the inverter. The Sharp convection units that Monaco used a lot of sound really weird when powered by the inverter. Plus, many of them have their timers fail, which I believe is from inverter use.

You should really disconnect from shore power, turn on your inverter and mark all of your outlets with a Sharpie (like a dot) that are powered by the inverter.

Your inverter transfers power through it when not in use and that's why it's not a good idea to run high load items, like space heaters through them. Once you have all of your outlets marked, you can then run high draw units through the outlets that run direct to shore power.

Note: On a lot of Monaco coaches with large refers and ice makers, there are two outlets behind the refer. One is inverted and one goes straight to shore power. The inverted outlet runs the icemaker. So while on inverter, your making ice.

Lastly, there is a Monaco only forum on here. You will have better luck using that forum for Monaco specific questions.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJSRZ View Post
I usually am very good on troubleshooting, but this one is also driving me crazy. I am preparing for rv trip and am on home shore power (30a).
Everything was great with power usage for several wks. Today I noticed the voltage was only 112 v. I cked input voltage at transfer panel and had 115v on both input terminals from my home and also 115v on terminals going to rv load center. I also cked if there was current leaving the panel to the rv load center. There was none..
I turned off the ckt breakers at load center that went to the inverter power supply and the voltage on the rv receptacles went to zero. The batteries also when very low. Conclusion-for some reason the ems was using the inverter and batteries to feed ac to the rv.?? I also started the generator and it indicated a 120v on rv receptacles BUT when I turned of the inverter ckt breaker, the receptacles again when to zero.??
More facts later as I continue to search for problem ,,,,but can anyone help...Please
I do not know if you have a power monitoring system or not but if you do is it showing incoming power to the unit and is it passing power. I use an extension cord to plug into my coach when I first get home just to power the refrigerator. I left it plugged in for several hours once and when I went back in I noticed my batteries were low. I checked my incoming power and it showed a fault with the incoming voltage. When I checked the ground connector had broken off the male plug and was in the outlet but not touching the cord. The power monitor did not see a ground so it did not allow the incoming power to the coach. You might look for something along those lines. If you turn on the inverter you will have power because the incoming power monitor system does not monitor that.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

I am so thankful I found IRV2, I can't believe there are so many generous folks who help others with RV problems. I will try to do the same. Now- I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 38'. The ac distribution panel is intellitec model 750, The transfer switch is a IOTA, model its-50R. The battery ems panel is by Xantrex. My Monaco book says the Intelltec 50a Smart EMS panel is located in an overhead compartment by entrance which is not true in my case. Maybe it was an option my rv doesn't have, but could the Xantrex be the substitute? OR could it be mounted behind the distsribution panel? I will also consult with Monaco today, but still would appreciate any insite.

Tags
monaco, power