Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Monaco alternator overcharging

cummins replaced a alternator/regulator with a used one. The original unit overcharged and undercharged. The new alternator continued to overcharge also. I went to another Cummins dealer who replaced the alternator/regulator with a brand new unit. The unit STILL overcharges. The Cummins tech has tried all sorts of checks, but can't understand why the alternator is overcharging. The chassis batteries are sealed and about 3-4 years old.
LJJSRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

What is happening that makes you think that the system is overcharging? Is the voltage too high?

A bad battery or connections can also cause charging problems. If the voltage is over 14.8 volts, try disconnecting the batteries and substitute a known good battery from another vehicle and see what happens. You can do this with jumper cables. Be sure that the jumper connections are clean and tight.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

:The voltage is above the 14.4 v, and the alarm lite is coming on.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
check all the grounds
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

We had a similar problem with our 96 Holiday Rambler Imperial. Charging voltage was around 15 volts and the battery light would flash. It only went out when I put a load on it with headlights, heater motor,etc. Records showed that the previous (original) owner had replaced or repaired the alternator seven times at a cost of more than three thousand dollars. The alternator is a Leece Neville, internal regulator with external excitation.

After chasing several wrong theories, I found that the alternator input from ignition (excitation) was hot all the time while the battery lead (voltage sensing) was hot only with the ignition switch on. The installed condition was in accordance with color coding according to wiring schematics provided by Spartan. It turns out that the leads were mistakenly grafted inside of the wiring harness. Switching the leads fixed the problem.

I don't know what your coach is, but if chassis is Spartan it might be worth checking. If you need to swap the leads, be careful. It is easy to mess up the terminal posts on the back side of the alternator (and I'm not saying how I know). Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

Don
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar problem in 2012 tuned out to be corrosion on the sensing wire connection. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

A charge voltage over 14.4v is normal. Modern automotive electrical systems have typical peak charge voltages ranging from 14.8v to over 15v. If you get a alarm at over 14.4v the problem is with the alarm not the charging system.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #8

THANKS GUYS-I WILL PASS THESE IDEAS TO CUMMINS/ jERRY

Tags
alternator, charging, monaco