Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #1

Monaco coaches-good, bad, parts, etc

I am expanding my search to include Monaco diesel pushers in the 40 ft range and 2005-2007. How are these coaches as far as long term quality cause I am planning on keeping it a long time. Also, how is customer service and the ability to get parts now and into the future. Been looking at tiffin and newmar with great customer service and stability, wanted to hear from some of you folks with more experience than me. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #2

Don't know which one or what year but there is a trailing arm issue on some model.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You need to do some research. Monaco coaches from that era came on two chassis, one with 8 air bags and one with 4. The RR4R 4 baggers had a serious safety issue--at this time most should have been fixed, but I found one that hadn't while searching for our coach. The RR8R or RR8S 8 bag coaches seem to be pretty good although there are a couple threads here about how to improve the steering and ride.

Apparently the new Monaco does provide support for the older models where they are able. I've seen a few posts by people that contacted them and were pleased with the response.

They are quality coaches and use all the name brand appliances and systems from that era so parts should be available for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased a 2002 Monaco Windsor in 2008 and it is still running strong. The Windsor is below the Dynasty in the hierarchy, a really nice coach. This year model has the same chassis as the Dynasty, RM8H which is a full steel cage super structure. This changed in 2003 where the super structure is aluminum.

If you stay with an 8 or 10 air bag chassis you would be pleased.

Technical support from Monaco is very good. In the last year I have contacted them several times and they have responded very quickly. I was having a problem with my side radiator cooling fan and requested a hydraulic schematic, which they sent via email. After several email exchanges I got a phone call and they walked me through how to trouble shoot the system. Every time I have contacted technical support they have assisted me at no charge.

There is also a strong support base from current Monaco owners who overall are very loyal to the brand. There is a Monaco Owners forum on IRV2 and also 2 Yahoo groups, the Moncoers and Monaco Coach Owners. The Monacoers Group have compiled a data base of files that come in handy along with an extensive parts cross reference list.

In reality most of the components come from OEM suppliers and you can usually find them via alternate sources.

Again, I am very pleased with my 2002 model coach, I have 106K miles on my rig now and think it's got another 100K left in it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am very happy with the phone/tech support I have received over the phone regarding my 2002 HR Navigator.

Every time I have called they have been super helpful and knowledgeable.

Not to mention friendly, too.

Very impressed so far.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have had our 08' Dynasty Squire IV for a couple of years and are very happy with it. I've been told that this was the last year model that does not use DEF and was built by the "old" Monaco company. It is a 42' coach with a tag axle which means it is the Roadmaster RR10S chassis. Which, as you probably already know, means Raised Rail, 10 air bag, side radiator. This is our second coach by Monaco and have always had great customer service and support. Just tell them the last 8 digits of the vin and they know everything about your coach. Ordering parts has always been very easy. I've been told that Country Coach charges by the quarter hour just to talk to you. Just sayin.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
We have had our 08' Dynasty Squire IV for a couple of years and are very happy with it. I've been told that this was the last year model that does not use DEF and was built by the "old" Monaco company. It is a 42' coach with a tag axle which means it is the Roadmaster RR10S chassis. Which, as you probably already know, means Raised Rail, 10 air bag, side radiator. This is our second coach by Monaco and have always had great customer service and support. Just tell them the last 8 digits of the vin and they know everything about your coach. Ordering parts has always been very easy. I've been told that Country Coach charges by the quarter hour just to talk to you. Just sayin.

Actually Chuck, your coach is built on the Roadmaster S Series semi monocoque chassis. It's one of the strongest chassis in the business. DEF is part of Cummins (and most others) solution to meeting the EPA 2010 emissions requirements. Monaco coaches didn't start using DEF until they started building coaches under the current ownership.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You won't go wrong with a Monaco in that era. In 2005, the Diplomat, Camelot, Windsor and Dynasty had the Cummins ISL motor, probably one of the best RV engines ever built. Some Dynasty's had an optional 500 ISM.

Don't forget to look at the sister line to Monaco, Holiday Rambler (much like Chevy-GMC). They offered the ISL in the Endeavor (Diplomat equivalent), Scepter (Camelot equivalent), and I believe the Navigator was the Dynasty equivalent.

Monaco still has all of their brochures available online, back to the early 2000's Monaco Coach
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

There may have been a thread about a year ago where the op has issue with the body control module that was no longer available and current company did not have a solution.

So...

Continue your hunt until you find "the one" then as part of the pre buy homework follow up with manufacturer to confirm status of parts availability by both VIN and coach serial number.

Main concern is unique parts or assemblies custom built or difficult to locate specific to that unit such as a body control module.

Lights and other things do not matter.

Good advice for anything used...
Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

I have a 2009 Safari Cheetah made by Monaco. It is pre DEF but it does have a DPF on it. It is a 350 Cat. No problems with it at this point yet. It's a very nice coach. There is always something to upgrade but the basics are there. I've put in a real home theatre system, put in a larger tv in the bedroom, replaced all the lighting to LED's, upgraded the batwing to digital, upgraded the crt back-up camera to color flat screen, installed LED's in the outside grab handle that runs off the porch light among countless other things. Working on an electric bed lift once spring shows up. It's become a hobby for me. It is a good solid coach.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #11

When we searched for our MH we looked long and hard at Country Coach and Newmar but in the end we knew only a Monaco/HR rig would do. (After all our 5th wheel had been a Holiday Rambler that was built like a tank, never an issue.)
When we finally located our Dynasty 2 years ago it was live at first at first sight.
We have had great support from Monaco. Every question answered even with the 5th wheel ouyr tech support people had worked in Indiana building them so they knew their stuff
Our first summer we went thru Orgon and and stopped at the service center to check on getting our step cover repaired. We met the head of their tech dept and after answering a few of our questions he asked if our rig was in the parking lot. When we told him no, he asked what campground. He then told us that one of his techs who lived nearby would stop by after work. Sure enough he arrived and ended up spending over an hour with us. He showed us how the step cover came off and then proceeded to go over some stuff on the rig. Almost like a mini walk thru. We tried to pay and that was quickly turned down
So yes. Their tech support is top notch
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Our first summer we went thru Orgon and and stopped at the service center to check on getting our step cover repaired. We met the head of their tech dept and after answering a few of our questions he asked if our rig was in the parking lot. When we told him no, he asked what campground. He then told us that one of his techs who lived nearby would stop by after work. Sure enough he arrived and ended up spending over an hour with us. He showed us how the step cover came off and then proceeded to go over some stuff on the rig. Almost like a mini walk thru. We tried to pay and that was quickly turned down
So yes. Their tech support is top notch
That's great service, sure won't get that with our CC now!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I too have been very happy with the Dp in my signature. I have had outstanding phone support. Never charged for a call, never rushed and always helpful.

I have been to both the Coburg, OR and Decatur, IN factory service centers and have been very satisfied. They take appointments.

So far no issues with getting parts.

Tags
monaco, parts