Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Monaco Diplomat slide problem

I have a 2007 Monaco Diplomat. The main road side slid out creates a hugh snapping sound when the slide starts in, it sort of jumps to start.

I see an adjustment bolt in a panel under the slide that I think may adjust it but I am not sure which way to adjust if it is the one.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Larry F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would help if we knew what brand of slides you have. Are they HWH hydraulic? I wouldn't be adjusting anything until you understand the problem better.

Hopefully some of our Monaco owners will be along soon to chime in.

We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I am having the same problem with my main slide. I found that the problem is the slide topper hanging. If fact, it has actually bent the arm on one end of the slide.

I haven't had time to do anything about it yet. Obviously there is something inside the tube that is hanging up, probably some kind of locking mechanism. I hope I can fix it as this particular topper is no longer available and they don't sell parts for it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
YC1

My rear slide was popping and I found an outside trip piece hanging up. The front slide also had some things roll into the slide mechanism area. Use a flashlight and small board to prop up the cover on the floor inside the living area to inspect.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I am having the same problem with my main slide. I found that the problem is the slide topper hanging. If fact, it has actually bent the arm on one end of the slide.
Had the Same problem on my NRV Islander, check the tensioners on the ends of the topper, mine had actually worn groves almost a half inch deep down into the face of the tensioner. I replaced both tensioners and the problem is gone.

God bless and safe travels.
1oldMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Larry
Mine seems to be doing the same thing, here's a post about the problem and the fix. getting ready to do mine just about the same way.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/majo...ere-98473.html

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

Monaco slide problems

I have an '06 Diplomat PDQ with main road slide problems. Pops, jerks and jumps coming and going. Sounds like gears jumping. After recent repairs, teflon (?) slide block screws started backing out severely scoring slide bottom plastic cover. What would be a fix or is there one? New to RV life and not getting off to a good start it seems.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2007 Diplomat main slide started making the snap sound when retracting a while ago. It is so loud it makes you jump, even when you know it is coming. It sounds more like a gunshot than something mechanical. Can't imagine it being the slide topper. It seems to strain as it reaches the crest of the lifting portion of the retraction cycle. Of course, when I took it to the dealer, it wouldn't do it. Went out and in, full cycle each way, without hesitation or any noise other than the whirring of the electric motor.

On a couple of occasions the slide would stall and I had to press against it on the outside to help it over that spot. Yesterday, about to leave a campground at the shore, it just completely stalled at that binding point, and pushing did nothing.

I disconnected the motor and tried manual retraction using a 15" crescent wrench, which is not some little toy. I got a couple of quarter turns with the wrench, and then it would not move. Both hands, pulling with all my might, did nothing. This was desperation time. If it didn't retract, we were stuck there without a site. So I reconnected the motor, and helped with the wrench, my wife instructed to release the button upon any movement at all. Maybe 4 or 6 quarter turns, helping the motor, and it was over that binding spot. It looked to me, down under the slide, that the gear rail was against the coach frame below it, but the coach was at ride height before we started. I don't remember hearing the snap sound out there, but my wife said she heard it as loudly as ever.

I had been trying to see if I could upgrade the motor size or add another, but now I think there is a much bigger problem. Where on the east coast is there a Monaco service center with truly competent slide mechanics? I'm now to the point where I'm afraid to extend that slide until it gets some serious attention.
CoachCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Couple of items worth noting.

If the paint lines are correct on the outside of the coach with the slide in, the slide has not moved since it was built.

Second, if a weak motor gives you problem on the start up ramp, verify the motor has 12 volts when running. Also, in order to get that slide in, you can tilt the coach with the levelers to make that side high. Gravity is your friend.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just did a post on repairing and adjusting your slide. You may find your issues after reading this.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slid...ce-169336.html
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, Don. I'll check mine out and comment on that thread. I also found another post that more directly addresses my specific issue: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/majo...ere-98473.html
Even if I do the filing and shimming that is suggested there, your checks and adjustments should certainly be accomplished.
CoachCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, slide