Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Monaco Diplomat v. American Coach Revolution,?

Trying to weigh the pros and cons of the two. Have read so much that my head is beginning to spin. Please let me know what you think, which is better, however you define better. Thank you in advance for your help!

Neal Davis
Alexandria, Virginia

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
you're going to have to be more specific... over the years there were several differences in each model.

Both are good coaches, although after owning a REV, I might opt for the Diplomat had I to do it again.

But what year models are you looking at - cause that's going to make a big difference regarding engine and chassis setup.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrierncd View Post
Trying to weigh the pros and cons of the two. Have read so much that my head is beginning to spin. Please let me know what you think, which is better, however you define better. Thank you in advance for your help!

Neal Davis

Alexandria, Virginia

Are you talking new or used and if used, what age range?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The Rev is the entry level of the American Coach line...where is the Diplomat in the Monaco Line?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

More specifically, I'm trying to decide between a 2016 Revolution 42T and a 2017 Diplomat 43sf. Both are new. Thanks agin!
Old 07-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

The Diplomat is also entry-level for Monaco.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrierncd View Post
The Diplomat is also entry-level for Monaco.

Those two coaches are likely to be very close in most ways. They are both produced in the same plant on the same assembly line. Their chassis carry different names but are likewise produced from very similar components and methods. You should compare the floorplans on the coaches you are considering. Go to the dealers and sit in them for an extended time. Drive them both. The correct choice for you should emerge.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #8

Thank you, Steve! Great information and very much appreciated!

Neal Davis
Alexandria, Virginia
Old 07-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Those two coaches are likely to be very close in most ways. They are both produced in the same plant on the same assembly line. Their chassis carry different names but are likewise produced from very similar components and methods. You should compare the floorplans on the coaches you are considering. Go to the dealers and sit in them for an extended time. Drive them both. The correct choice for you should emerge.

Good luck in your search.

Consolidation, and rebranding of age old known brands, continues!

Remember when Beaver were Beaver's... Trek's were Trek's... Holiday Ramblers were Holiday Ramblers...

The 'blending' of American Coach, Fleetwood and what was left of Monaco (One, or is it now two steps back now?) - are making a 1960's - 1970's General Motorizing of these once very distinct brands. (Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Old's and Cadillac's were quite often built on the same platforms, with minor 'tweak's' between them, and just a separate bend of the sheet metal, and interior content to distinguish enough to suck the buying public in!

Steve - I have to say, when I read your response, I had to stop and think about where and how Monaco and Fleetwood (And thus American Coach and the Revolution.) have ended up... I suspect I blocked this total rebranding and GM'izing of this segment of the RV industry.

Heck, next thin you'll post is that Country Coach is back, but is now spelled Wountry Woach! (Still wrapping my head around this. But suspect former Beaver owners had to do this when they became Meaver...).

It's a tough business world - and those that can, do. Those that did not - well, they're now a rebranded Diplomat/Revolution in many ways... (PLEASE - Just a generalization, for sure not really that quite of a rebranding of the same model... But, it's meant as a sentiment of the general RV industry as a whole. Jaycee is just the current one...)

Oh well. OP, as Steve said. Check the specs of both closely, look at the floor plans and determine which of these floats your boat... Then go get one, or something else (I suspect the Ventana is the equivalent in the Newmar line. And their's aways a Tiffen model that competes at this level too.) - and go have some fun!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 07-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #10

Thank you for the information and encouragement, Smitty!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah here's what I know....

The REV has been made for a lot of years.... solid product with solid heritage... and the brand new ones are very different from the 05 I owned (better)

Monaco was purchased by Fleetwood a year or two back, and no Monaco coaches were made for a year.

And I haven't investigated this at all, but I wonder what chassis and engine they put on the new Diplomat. Years past, the Dip had a custom chassis and engine... and I wonder if fleetwood ditched that for a Spartan or Freightliner..

I *think* that I would trust Fleetwood to do a good job on either coach. They are pretty solid as a manufacturer all the way around.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Yeah here's what I know....

The REV has been made for a lot of years.... solid product with solid heritage... and the brand new ones are very different from the 05 I owned (better)

Monaco was purchased by Fleetwood a year or two back, and no Monaco coaches were made for a year.

And I haven't investigated this at all, but I wonder what chassis and engine they put on the new Diplomat. Years past, the Dip had a custom chassis and engine... and I wonder if fleetwood ditched that for a Spartan or Freightliner..

I *think* that I would trust Fleetwood to do a good job on either coach. They are pretty solid as a manufacturer all the way around.

I think REV is attempting to maintain some individuality in brands and specific models while sharing most of the overhead and customer service end of the business. They are assembling several chassis at Decatur using front and rear clips from Freightliner, joined by a ladder type center section. The American Coach variation is called the Liberty chassis and Monaco uses the name of their proprietary chassis the Roadmaster. Last year, when Mike Snell was running the Monaco/HR side of the business, he was trying to stay true to the historic Monaco/HR model lineup. It appears that, now with Mike gone, that plan is only partly true. The Dip is powered by the Cummins ISL. I saw the '16 Dip at the Tampa Super Show & thought it compared very favorably to the Monaco Flagship the Dynasty. The Dynasty is powered by the big ISX which is a big hp up grade, but at a pretty steep price.

Tags
monaco, revolution