Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Monaco dynasty

We are looking at a 2000 Monaco Dynasty, 40ft 350 Cummings w/ diesel generator.It is very clean inside and out, 49K miles. Found out there have been 2 previous owners. The problem that we are having is that there are no maintenance records. I always keep very good records on my items. Anyway, what should I be looking for as far as wear and tear goes, what maintenance on a coach this age should have been completed. Is there a way I can find out any information on the maintenance of this coach? The dealer did a carfax on the coach, it didn't come up with anything significant. I just would like some opinions of people that have been doing this for a long while. The 2 tires rear are good, needs 2 new front tires, also, driver side window is fogged, they will fix that and the tires, and deliver the coach in working order. Will the RR4R Chassis be an issue with this coach? I would appreciate any assistance so that I can make a quick informed decision. Thank you. David Jean

david1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
What is the asking price.

Robert and Debra
1998 Dutch Star '38 DP
150 cc scooter Riley, Springer and Rio, Chihuahua
rsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I bought mine a little over a year ago, also without service records. I immediately had the engine and generator oil changed as well as all the filters and the chassis lubed. That way I had a baseline to know when those items would need redoing.
Your chassis is not an RR4R, but rather an RR8S, so the trailing arm problem is a non-issue.
Mine has been quite reliable so far but I would suggest you buy 2 or 3 of the high current solenoids that are used for the starter, chassis and house power. I've had two fail. Easy replacement, though.
I have no regrets on the purchase. When new, my coach had a sticker price of $285,000 so it is a high end product for a bargain price.
2000 Dynasty 40' Regent, Cummins ISC 350
2012 Ford Edge toad
CoPilot: Vicki, 2 greyhounds: Hope & Dora
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
The last owner should be on the title, he may even have the records. I just purchased a 2001 Diplomat, with 30,000 mile, the 2 nd owner changed the oil only 1 time in 3 yrs, So I did a complete oil, oil filters, fuel filters , next is the Trans. Good luck.
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No real way to find out more unless you can get in touch with the former owner. You can ask the dealer to call them for you (privacy laws now make it impossible to simply hand out their name) and make contact, but don't be too optimistic.

I would inspect it as best I could (hire a mobile rv tech if unsure of your own knowledge) and plan on doing a full 48 month service cycle shortly after buying. Service EVERYTHING so you have a new baseline to start from. Cooling system, hydraulics, transmission, engine oil, air filter, fuel filters, etc. And get both a engine and tranny fluid analysis before changing fluids. That will give you a solid place to start. Do all fluids and filters on the genny too.

Don't forget the tires - look carefully at the date codes. A 12 year old coach with low miles often has old tires that are no longer reliable no matter how good they look.

Figure the cost of all that in your price offer.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder

We bought our MH in Feb 2012 with 38K miles on it and no maintenance records. We changed the oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter. You might want to check to oil & filter in the generator too.
Open the slides & Check slide gaskets for cracking and weather wear too.
cfyanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Since there are no records available, I would require an oil sample and a transmission fluid sample be sent to a lab for testing. Most people change the engine oil but neglect other stuff. The Allison transmission should have been changed over to Transynd by now and the filters need changing every 36 months. Check the air dryer. It need to be served every 1-3 years depending on manufacturer. Front wheel bearings need cleaning/ packing. The coolant should have been changed out once or twice and the SCA level checked and adjusted at least annually (you may have a coolant filter).
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
I definately agree with all the other posts above. If you aren't real skookum on Rv's there are so many systems that can have issues and you can spend money real quickly on these things. I would also recommend an inspection by a mobile tech. It may cost a hundred or two or three but that is a drop in the bucket compared to what things could cost. My experience with RV's on RV lots are that most of the sales people are full of boloney and really don't know much about the specific rigs they are selling. Just my experience though. Do check the exhaust manifold real closely as I've seen quite a few cracked on those Cummins. I just replaced mine.
OlyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The BIG inspection on a Monaco product is the 60,000 mile check. It should be a 2 page list. Sounds like you do not have an owners manual (get one) but the Monaco factory will email you the above inspection form. They also had my owners manual.
For peace of mind it may be wise to purchase a one year "warranty" policy. Dealer markup is unbelieveable so get one from Good Sam or the like.
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Things to look for....

We bought a 2000 Monaco Windsor a couple of years ago. The big surprise we got was cracks in the frame back by the rear axle. I got them fixed, but as I said Surprise!

stingrea is offline   Reply With Quote