Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Monaco Dynasty 2000 diesel soot in headliner and around lights

Somewhere I saw a post on how to replace the seals in a 38' Monaco Dynasty 2000 Diesel Engine. It involved lifting the bed in the back of the motorhome. It gave directions and said what part to replace.

The reason for this was the diesel exhaust is leaking into the headliner in the entire motorhome and around lights, exhausts, heat and air conditioning vents.

I successfully removed the stains with resolve powder and a brush. It does allow powder to drift down while you are doing it but it does not remove or damage glue under the headliner. Wear safety goggles.

I am a new user and this is my first post. Please can someone tell me where the post is and is this the correct solution to resolve further soot problems in those areas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
soot on headliner

i found this post in the monaco owners forum using the search this forum box i think its the one you are looking for.

2000 Monaco Windsor

good luck Mike

Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

Monaco Dynasty 2000 Diesel Soot in Headliner/Lights

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have seen that one and the description is the same problem as mine but the post I saw told EXACTLY how to fix it and that it would take two people. It involved changing the seals in the diesel engine. I am a woman and not a mechanic and know nothing about this. I am trying to find the post.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have the same problem in the Magna. The fabric liner in the closet was stained for the same reason when we bought the MH. After the engine repair it looks like Cummins just reused the old alum tape so I'll have to go get some more and redo it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA198273 View Post
Thank you for the response. Yes, I have seen that one and the description is the same problem as mine but the post I saw told EXACTLY how to fix it and that it would take two people. It involved changing the seals in the diesel engine. I am a woman and not a mechanic and know nothing about this. I am trying to find the post.
You are saying engine seals when I think you mean the foam/rubber seals around the engine access compartments are leaking exhaust into the coach. If so Lowes has a large variety of foam and rubber gasket materials. Mine leaked when we got it because the carpet covering the access panels was mashed down. I bought a plusher carpet and recovered the panels. That worked for me.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
It involved changing the seals in the diesel engine.

Maybe I don't know what you are saying. You will get a certain amount of diesel exhaust and oil blow by fumes from any diesel and it will enter the coach if it can. That doesn't mean there are engine seals that need replacing.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
First and foremost check and repair any Exhaust leaks, I can't imagine that much soot coming from the engine compartment.
Second go here for the best matching seals for your needs.
>>McMaster-Carr they carry a good selection.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
First and foremost check and repair any Exhaust leaks, I can't imagine that much soot coming from the engine compartment.
NHRA225 & WA198273
When I bought my coach in '01, (with 27k miles), a lot of diesel soot had gotten in above to the headliner and spotted the ceiling carpet, (especially in the rear bedroom and center bath).
I found that a rubber gasket/seal where the back wall meets the rear cap above my rear radiator had fallen out/down.
Pushing it back into place and resealing the area with "Great Stuff insulating foam sealant" cured the problem.
Air Sealing Holes and Leaks | GREAT STUFF? Gaps & Cracks
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Could it be from other vehicles on the road or just general airborne contaminants.

Quite common to see black stains around lights and duct openings in commercial offices and that is nothing to do with an engine.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Check your exhaust manifold that was my problem, common on Cummins ISC.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #11

Soot in headliner and around lights and Air conditioner grids

Thank you everyone for your responses. Mel 5 describes my exact problem. I have a son that does autobody and he is not a mechanic. Both he and another guy said they heard an exhaust leak in the back where the engine is. That is all I know.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA198273 View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. Mel 5 describes my exact problem. I have a son that does autobody and he is not a mechanic. Both he and another guy said they heard an exhaust leak in the back where the engine is. That is all I know.
The leaking exhaust manifold will surely contribute to the problem you are experiencing. HOWEVER, do not be too disappointed if you fix the problem, clean the ceiling and it gets soiled again quickly. Although exhaust fumes are particularly nasty, the root problem was that Monaco (and others) did not seal the joints in the plywood interior roof panels, and the fixtures that protruded through the ceiling, to prevent the normal ingress of ordinary dust and dirt that will settle in the cavities above.

I have had three motorhomes with that problem. All had the Ozite-type carpeting on the ceiling. All got dirty at every plywood joint and every fixture. The first one was a gasoline Class C, so diesel fumes had nothing to do with it. After cleaning, and re-cleaning, and re-cleaning the ceilings of all of them, I finally ripped out the Ozite throughout the coach and replaced it with shiny pebble-textured FRP board from Lowe's and glued it in place using the recommended adhesive. The board is sold for building your own shower enclosure, and is tee-totally waterproof, and therefore dust-proof. The job turned out beautifully on my 2000 Dynasty. That was about a year ago, and it looks great--pebble-textured smooth, clean, and BRIGHT WHITE. It was a BOOGER of a job, though.

Tags
diesel, light, lights, monaco