Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
DTC

Monaco Electric problems...

Hi there! I have no electric in the coach. None of the receptacles, lights, etc., in the coach are working,whether on shore power or with the generator. Only 1/3 of the display panel is working. Just the Inverter, witch shows everything is charging. I've checked breakers, fuses, and the battery disconnect. Crazy thing is there are a few things that do work. The slides are working, Fridge, the receptacle the TV and dish are plugged into is working, step light, and the Trac Star satellite locator is working. The generator doesn't trip any breakers when started. I,ve reset all breakers, from the 50 amp box all the way through the coach. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks... Posted here and Monaco Owners forum. Just trying to get some advice...
DTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like your "salesman switch" could have been tripped inadvertently or failed. It is a rocker switch located near the door along with other switches that control the awnings, porch light, storage lights et al. It activates by pressing (no click). If this the problem, you just push it once.
rowalrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think that this is more related to the 110v receptacles, but there are two or more white pins on the inverter that blow (pop out) and they might need to be pushed back in.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

What year Monaco ? Do your AC units work ? I recently went thru some strange power problems with my Intellitech 50 amp distribution panel in my 2005 HR Endeavor. It was the circuit card , which of course is no longer made. You have to get the 760 model up-grade.This may have nothing to do with your problem. If you or other members DO have a problem with your card you don't have to put out $500 and rewire harness's. It is usually two opto isolators that go bad and the parts are like $5.00. Any decent electronic tech can change components. Good Luck, hope the previous posts nailed it.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Also check all GFIs. I had one located at floor level in bed room trip. Turned out the ice maker triped it. Also there are two breakers on the inverter that may be tripped. Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt it is the EMS system since this really only controls ~4 circuits, normally both AC's, Electric Hot Water Heater, and Washer/Dryer. Even if the board is bad the rest of the 120 volt would work if that was the only problem.

The most of the other circuits go through the inverter. His system may be different then mine, I have 2 legs of 120 volt that go through the inverter.
The refrigerator is working, the fridge does not go through the inverter
He should check the breaker(s) on his inverter to start with.

He is also saying that none of his lights are working, which I assume are 12 volt this could be the salesman switch.

Interesting problem, I'll me watching.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like only inverter supplied 115 is working. That points me towards the transfer switch. You mentioned genny power but what does it do on shore power? Could also be a GFCI. My Beaver, a Monaco product, has a GFCI in one of the storage bays. Another in the cabinet above the microwave. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the idea of a malfunction in the transfer switch since they mechanically switch both legs of the circuit. If the contacts on one leg aren't completing the circuit you could get the situation the OP is in. It's possible the Inverter is getting it's power from the working circuit and isn't otherwise involved.

Quick test. Check one air conditioner to see if it runs. Then check the other one. When multiple A/C units are on a coach they are usually on different legs of a 50amp circuit. If only one works I would look to a bad contact or a loose wire in the transfer switch.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

However, he also says that lights are not working and those are strictly 12v powered. Transfer switch would have no effect on that. Besides, he says the inverter indicate s it is charging, which also requires 120v power.

I think we need more specific info about exactly what items work and which do not. Some outlets or all of them? 12v lighting? A/c units? Fridge, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
DTC

One outlet working. The outlet the TV, and satellite are on. The EMS panel is dead, along with the slide panel, but the slides do work, just no lights on the panel. EMS.... Dead. The inverter is the only item with power on the distribution panel... I checked the ground fault circuit in the rear of the coach, not tripped. It's the same whether on shore power or generator as far as the lights and receptacles go. Thank you for all the replies! I'm stumped. All owners know, this is part of the game, but this is one that we've never came across yet.

Dave
Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
DTC

.........also, the AC;s will not work because the AC control has no power. Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The EMS circuit requires a 12 volt circuit to work along with 120 volt feed on one of the circuits it controls. In my case the Washer/Dryer circuit has to connected through the EMS panel for the display to work. My EMS board went bad last year. I bypassed the 3 other circuits but left the Washer/Dryer hooked up so that I could monitor told AMP load while system was by passed.

This is an interesting post, I will continue monitoring it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
depending on type and size of inverter. I have a 2500 watt inverter in my coach. it takes two legs of 115 volt power and then puts out two legs. Because i have a residential refrigerator we have it plugged into what used to be the ice maker receptacle which runs off of the inverter. I have a wiring diagram for my coach and it shows basically everything that is plugged into a receptacle in the coach with the exception of the microwave and two receptacles runs off the same leg from the inverter. The microwave runs off of the other leg and the other two receptacles are wired into the panel box and not the inverter.

A tripped circuit breaker in the inverter will cause the problems the OP mentions. Even if you have a smaller inverter than 2500 watts it takes in one leg of shore power and puts out two legs of power.

I had a wire going to one leg break before it got to the inverter which gave a symptom similar to what the OP is talking about. anything electrical not plugged into a receptacle worked. The microwave worked because it is plugged into the other inverter leg. Nothing else worked. try checking the inverter breakers and then see if you can get a wiring diagram to show you where everything is fed from.

Also if it is an inverter problem it will happen in both generator or shore power mode because both feed through the inverter which feeds everything else.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
DTC

Faulty battery disconnect or what some of you have referred to as the salesman switch. Thanks to all!!!

Tags
monaco