Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #1

Monaco/Holiday Rambler: replacing 32" Sharp TV housed in overhead cabinet with larger

I own 2006 HR Imperial that came from factory with nicely finished tv housing (stained cherry) containing the Sharp 32" Tv with side speakers. Width of TV is 38 5/8" and a Samsung 43" Led will fit nicely in this width. But... The height requires cutting away the bottom of the tv cabinetry as well as at least an inch above the current tv cabinetry. Has anyone done this conversion? I would appreciate feedback. Thanks!
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

Just do an rv forum online search and you will find plenty of people that have including videos and pictures.

Good luck!
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced my TV twice in my 2005 Diplomat. When it was new, I removed the original CRT TV and mounted the new one on the OUTSIDE of the cabinet. On my Monaco, you could access the back of the TV by removing the louvered vent. I made a metal frame that attached to Monaco's frame with tabs that matched the mounts on the back of the TV.

I've seen others use a piece of plywood that just fits in the opening, attach a piano hinge to one side and then mount the TV to the plywood. This way you can swing the TV out and use behind it for storage.

The first TV I put in was a 32" Sony Bravia. Several years later I installed a 40". It fit just between the cabinets on both sides of the TV. I had to move the cabinet doors over about a 1/2 inch, but you couldn't tell. The photo below is of the 32" Bravia.

Here is a photo....literally, think outside the box. The TV's are really shallow and don't stick out enough to be an issue.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here is a photo....literally, think outside the box. The TV's are really shallow and don't stick out enough to be an issue.

But I still hit my head on them!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtismb View Post
I own 2006 HR Imperial that came from factory with nicely finished tv housing (stained cherry) containing the Sharp 32" Tv with side speakers. Width of TV is 38 5/8" and a Samsung 43" Led will fit nicely in this width. But... The height requires cutting away the bottom of the tv cabinetry as well as at least an inch above the current tv cabinetry. Has anyone done this conversion? I would appreciate feedback. Thanks!
There are some shops that will remove and dispose of your old TV and install a new flat screen. These shops have the experience to rework the cabinet to reduce its mass so your TV is mounted further back towards the windshield which eliminates the bulky cabinet over your head and enter/exiting the coach.

I reworked my existing cabinet to add a panel to mount the new TV on. I've seen some who have made a door which they mounted the new TV to which opens to utilize the existing space where the old TV was for storage.

One in particular stowed their shoes behind the new TV...it was obvious when entering their coach...the smell of feet greeted you as you entered.

A friend turned his into secured storage compartment. Found a metal box which fit nicely in the space where he keeps his valuables and firearms.

Seen one setup where they eliminated most of the TV cabinet and installed a fold up TV under it which gives you greater visibility while driving down the road while still providing a shallow cabinet for storage.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #6

I appreciate everyone's input. My objective is to contain the 43" tv within the existing cabinetry - certainly do NOT want to install 43" in front of cabinet. I have today removed the Sharp 32" and it appears that I may by removing the entire 3" board that is next to padded ceiling; the 43" will fit within the remaining cabinetry. However, it would be necessary to cut a couple of rectangle holes on bottom of cabinet to permit adequate sound to emit from 43" tv that has speakers on the bottom (common design of today's LED TVs). Overall objective: final appearance to look very much like the "factory built in". Hopefully another IRVer will read and give their input and possibly have done similar.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The holes for the speakers will probably not sound good and you'll lose volume. Have you got room for a Sound Bar. It would make the TV sound nice.

Just so you know, this is all that my TV stuck out. The newer one was even thinner.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

Thanks for the pic. My tv cabinet is different in that the sides are flush with top & bottom. With such, mounting on the face would cause a 3" protusion which I believe would be unsightly as well as a probable head banger.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #9

I did this exact install in my 2006 Camelot. I used the LG 43" tv, cut holes in the bottom board for both speakers and the center "joystick". I removed the top trim, pushed the TV to the ceiling and made new trim for the sides and bottom front. I am new to this ap so not sure how to include pictures
javickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by javickers View Post
i did this exact install in my 2006 camelot. I used the lg 43" tv, cut holes in the bottom board for both speakers and the center "joystick". I removed the top trim, pushed the tv to the ceiling and made new trim for the sides and bottom front. I am new to this ap so not sure how to include pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4294.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	151431Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4295.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	151432
javickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #11

Nice work on your Camelot install. Finished my 43" Samsung yesterday with slightly different approachClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4599.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	151447Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4602.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	151448
Old 02-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I have my TV wired (well, fibered technically) from it's fiber/toslink output into my stereo to the left of it. That way I don't have to worry about how the TV's speakers sound, and I get surround sound as a bonus.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #13

Flush mounting TV

You should be able to flush mount into existing cabinet with minor modifications.
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #14

I wished i had taken pictures of my tv upgrades in the last monthin our American Traditions, it had 3 Sony tube tv's between them and cabinetry removed 300 + lbs with the 2 Samsung 32" and a 28" in the bed room, and most important eliminated the head knockers in entry and bedroom, I will try to dig up some before pictures to aid someone else it was a lengthy task as I'm not a trim carpenter at all,wished I could have put a bigger one in the living area but it would have required complete cabinetry redo.Good luck
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler, monaco