Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #1

Monaco Power issues

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just recently ran into an issue. Before this one event everything has worked perfectly fine.

I recently plugged my shore power (50amp) cord into my RV, and I had forgotten the 50amp plug I wired I left the neutral open when I wired my new to me spa. I left it plugged in for about 10 mins. Didnt run anything, realized it and unplugged it.

This is all I did, before this it all worked the day before (on generator power).

Now here is where I am at:

I have a 50amp to 120v adapter, I can plug a normal extension cord to power motorhome. It always used to work. Now I only have power on 1 outlet, my ACs (front and rear) and my fridge (on AC). My incoming power monitor shows I am getting 30amps 120v and pulling 1 amp.

I am able to turn on my inverter and power all my circuits, tv, microwave etc. so I know they work and its not a breaker issue.

Doesnt matter if I am on Gen Set or Shore, same circuits get power either way.

I believe my issue is with my ATS or something of that nature, this is where Im stuck. Something seems to only be giving me 1 line of power I believe. and the 2nd line gives power to the other circuits. It is also not charging my batteries.

Anyways. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks Sorry if im missing any pertinent info, long day.
joshfcs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.
Sorry your first post is about problems .

Your 50 amp coach uses two incoming lines of 120 volt power .

The adapter you're using is 50 amp to 15 amp. if your using a regular extension cord.
You power monitor can't differentiate between 30 amp and 15 amp power , it looks for power on both legs of the supply " in phase " when it sees that it assumes you only have 30 amps available. With proper 50 amp power the two legs would be out of phase and then the monitor would show 50 amp.

Internal in your inverter is a relay ( solenoid ) that when 120 volt power is supplied through the cord , bypasses inverter function to allow the 120 volt power through to the circuits the inverter is attached to AND start the battery charge function.
I believe you've damaged the internal relay in the inverter so posting all the info on the unit would help .
Old 07-09-2019, 04:33 AM   #3

50 amp service isn't 2 50 amp, 120 volt lines, its 50 amps at 240 volts. It is split at the RV main breaker panel to 2, 120 volt legs.

The way its split is by using the neutral as a return path for each line. Without the neutral it can deliver up to 240 volts to either leg, depending on how uneven the draw is.
Without a neutral, your 120 volt stuff is running in series at 240 volts. If the draw was even on each leg, each would get 120 volts.

By plugging in to a outlet with no neutral, the Inverter/charger probably was the only big draw to one leg of the system, that leg went way above 120 volts and was probably damaged by the high voltage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
50 amp service isn't 2 50 amp, 120 volt lines, its 50 amps at 240 volts. It is split at the RV main breaker panel to 2, 120 volt legs.

The way its split is by using the neutral as a return path for each line. Without the neutral it can deliver up to 240 volts to either leg, depending on how uneven the draw is.
Without a neutral, your 120 volt stuff is running in series at 240 volts. If the draw was even on each leg, each would get 120 volts.

By plugging in to a outlet with no neutral, the Inverter/charger probably was the only big draw to one leg of the system, that leg went way above 120 volts and was probably damaged by the high voltage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	252656
Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #5

ok That makes perfect sense. I will break out my DMM and confirm and start from there.

Thanks guys exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Start at the breaker box and then the transfer switch. It sounds like you are only getting the 30A side of your 50A. Your inverter is probably running off of that side is why every thing works when you turn it on. It works just like your house but with one 30A side and one 20A side.

PS: I lost power on one side and the wires in the transfer switch had come loose. Sense then I have had to tighten them again.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Start at the breaker box and then the transfer switch. It sounds like you are only getting the 30A side of your 50A. Your inverter is probably running off of that side is why every thing works when you turn it on. It works just like your house but with one 30A side and one 20A side.

PS: I lost power on one side and the wires in the transfer switch had come loose. Sense then I have had to tighten them again.
What is a 30 amp side and a 20 amp side ?

That's not what 50 amp service is.

You need to understand what 50 amp 240 volt service is before offering up advice.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #8

I think the above mentioned earlier is on the right path.

There should be 2 AC feeds from my inverter (Xantex freedom 58) seems like 1 feed has failed. Giving me only half(ish) of my normal circuits.

It’s not a main panel breaker issue, as when the inverter is on, they work. So it seems it is not passing AC input through (shore power). Rather it’s only outputting it from DC supply (batteries).

I’m hoping the built in protection breakers saved my Inverter as it was replaced right before I bought it 2 years ago. But usually that’s current protection and not voltage. So I might be hosed.

I will update the thread with what I find. I’m pretty handy with a meter.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #9

Confirmed I have my 2 hots have 120v to my ATS. And is outputting 120v on both loads.

Now to test my inverter.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #10

I have 120v input into my inverter. But no output on either of my AC lines hot.

Xantrex confirmed most likely a stuck relay a mentioned before.

They want me to send it in for repairs. Says it’s not common for that to happen on an open neutral. But could have happened due to the unit being worn down already.

I’ll update if this doesn’t fix the issue. But as of now this most likely was the problem.

Thanks. Trips in a week. Fingers crossed it can be fixed in time or I’ll have to buy a new one.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #11

Confirmed my inverter was bad. Upgraded it to a 2000watt model and had a bunch of boards replaced $600.

A mistake I wont make again. Already ordered my plug tester.

Tags
monaco, power