Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco PowerGear Slide seems to be stuck.

Have a 2001 Monaco Diplomat 40 PBD. The slide containing the sofa and galley will not extend. I have voltage to the motor when the switch is depressed. Released the brake on the motor and tried to manualy extend the slide with a socket on the shaft. Put more pressure than I think is necessary and the slide doesn't move. Afraid to put too much pressure and strip or break something.

No "slide stops" are in place.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be wrong and what I can try.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by popsgarage View Post
Have a 2001 Monaco Diplomat 40 PBD. The slide containing the sofa and galley will not extend. I have voltage to the motor when the switch is depressed. Released the brake on the motor and tried to manualy extend the slide with a socket on the shaft. Put more pressure than I think is necessary and the slide doesn't move. Afraid to put too much pressure and strip or break something.

No "slide stops" are in place.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be wrong and what I can try.

Thanks
Might check any door switches on doors under the slide to see if you hav voltage on each post. I had a switch lose its continuity and interrupt the switch.

Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you're familiar with the system , otherwise my initial thought would be that the brake was not released fully. It might be bound up. These brakes do corrode. You could pull off the rubber boot to examine the brake. Here is a link to PG's troubleshooting of the slideout motor.
http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0309-T.pdf
They ( PG ) are super responsive to emails and will assist you in troubleshooting this. Their address is. info@powergearus.com.
Good luck and please update us when you can.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Think I have it figured out!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

This morning I tried it again and by putting a lot of pressure on the shaft, I moved it out a couple of inches and then couldn't get it back in. With the help of a friend pushing in on the slide and me putting pressure on the shaft, we got it back in.

I took the suggestion to contact support at Power Gears and got basic info and links and confirmation that the motor was probably bad (which I already knew).

I replied and asked again what I could check and how hard it should be to turn the shaft with a socket on the end.

I then got this reply:

" if something is defective or bound up inside the motor gearbox, it can keep you from moving it easily or at all."

I went and took out the two bolts connecting the shafts on each side of the motor. I put a pipe wrench on the motor and it was all I could do to turn the motor with the "brake" off. Couldn't turn it at all with the brake on as it should be.

I put a socket on the shaft and gently turned it and the slide started moving. Went to the other side and it moved easily as well. Going to make a coupler tomorrow to connect the two shafts together and then see if the goes in and out without any problems.

If that works (I think it will), I'll get a new motor and put it back together.

Lesson learned: If a motor goes bad and you can't manually get the slide in or out, check first to see if the motor/gearbox is locked up.

My first post and with members help/suggestions, I'm happy and relieved.

Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it moving. Let us know how the new motor works out.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, slide