Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #1

Money pit rv "gifted" to me

We just got our first rv. It is a 1986 cavalier by Monaco on a 1985 Chevy p30 Chasis. The previous owner apparently had fuel system problems. He put in an inline fuel pump and rerouted it to a bucket in the storage area. We figured the 70 gallon tank had to be bad. We dropped it only to find 25 gallons of old fuel. We are pretty sure the sending unit is bad, but can not find a five bolt 3 outlet replacement. (Motor, generator,return). Next problem is it wasn't winterized properly and a line near the water heater is blown out. I also can not locate a manual with piping diagrams. Third problem we know of is when the dimmer switch is on the keys no longer control the engine. It sputters and backfires and won't shut off. Anyone with advice,parts leads, or condolences. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello and

OK, you folks have my sympathies

Anyway, a suggestion......you may also find some help over at the vintage RV forum here. Lots of help from owners of RVs of your coach's era. I'm sure you'll find some answers there. Don't worry, it'll be fun!!

Oh, and don't forget the Monaco owners forum too.
Best regards,
W.D.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Google p30 chassis and get lots of info too.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Thank you!!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

If it's too much for you to bother with, find an charity that will take it as a donation, then you can take a tax deduction for 2016.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #6

Hang in there, our first motorhome was a well used up 86 Fleetwood South Wind. It was held together with literally baling wire and duck tape. Seriously. It was a great learning experience and we loved it for over 10 years until we got the one we have now. I'm a tinker and learning how to fix the last guys shortcuts was half the fun. Dw called it our "hillbilly mobil" after all I did to it. Will make you appreciate all the good times in it even more.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

How does one eat an elephant...One small bite at a time.

First action is to make sure roof good.

Next gut all loose stuff.

Not focus on running gear

Drop and flush tank then you always can add a pick up tube to a new sending unit fix drilling a hole and adding a fitting or 3...You have one for a sample.

Check oil and other fluids before changing then if looks okay change engine oil and get engine fired up and running as tune up will be needed but be sure not blown up.

Search here for help as many have walked your trail so lots of great advice!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariejennife View Post
We just got our first rv. It is a 1986 cavalier by Monaco on a 1985 Chevy p30 Chasis. The previous owner apparently had fuel system problems. He put in an inline fuel pump and rerouted it to a bucket in the storage area. We figured the 70 gallon tank had to be bad. We dropped it only to find 25 gallons of old fuel. We are pretty sure the sending unit is bad, but can not find a five bolt 3 outlet replacement. (Motor, generator,return). Next problem is it wasn't winterized properly and a line near the water heater is blown out. I also can not locate a manual with piping diagrams. Third problem we know of is when the dimmer switch is on the keys no longer control the engine. It sputters and backfires and won't shut off. Anyone with advice,parts leads, or condolences. Thank you in advance.
I have no help for the fuel sending unit. I searched rock auto and another place and could not find the 70 gal tank only a 40 gal tank. Must have been swapped out by Monaco and who knows what brand they used. Perhaps there are some numbers on the old assembly that can be googled.

On the plumbing diagram, you probably will not find one. Most manufactures do not have detail plumbing diagrams available and the age of the unit will make it difficult to find as Monaco has changed hands a few times over the years even if Monaco had them available in 1985.

What I would do is cut the split pipe out and use shark bite fittings and a new section of PEX to replace the damaged section. If you have not heard of shark bite fittings just google the name to see how they are used. They make repairs to RV plumbing easy.

Is it the dash light dimmer that is creating the issue with the ignition switch? If so I would think that there is a short or maybe a bad ground.

Mike
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I tell others that the most expensive RV you can get is a free one. What you've found thus far is probably just a drop of the bucket of other things you'll find wrong. It's easy to get bit by the RV bug. The thought of climbing up those steps, setting in the cockpit and traveling down the open highway while waving to other class A owners, can take your breath away! But getting a bad RV will squash that bug in no time and you'll never want to RV again. My two cents is to ditch the RV, look for something better, because you'll have over 10 grand into this one before you know it.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #10
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Goll-dang Pexring yer a heck of an optimist!

Nah I know, yer a realist right?

Seriously, I'd keep investigating the rig as time permits. If it looks like more than you want to tackle in time/effort/and $$, then donate it and write it off on taxes, then look for another. Otherwise, if it looks to be a doable challenge and your up for a project to learn with that won't break the bank, heck go for it. Who knows, you may even be able to flip it for profit if it's not too bad, not impossible.

Take some time to fully assess it and go from there. We're all pullin' for ya!

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #11

You guys are awesome!

We are going to try to repair the sending unit, after spending countless hours on the phone. I've come to the realization that there is zero chance of getting a new one without altering the tank. The shark fittings look like a great solution for the water problem. As far as the wiring, I'm going to leave that part to my husband. From what we can tell at some point someone wired the auxiliary power to the dash dimmer switch. We just need to reroute it to its own switch. Thanks again!!! This MAY be doable. I told my husband I cleaned the whole thing including the shower and toilet, so it's his job to fix everything else. Lol
Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
Commercial Member

the in tank fuel pump is from a one ton gm vam. it should have all three pickup tubes.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
...the most expensive RV you can get is a free one...you'll have over 10 grand into this one before you know it.
It's not nice to make them think it'll only take $10k.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariejennife View Post
We are going to try to repair the sending unit, after spending countless hours on the phone. I've come to the realization that there is zero chance of getting a new one without altering the tank. The shark fittings look like a great solution for the water problem. As far as the wiring, I'm going to leave that part to my husband. From what we can tell at some point someone wired the auxiliary power to the dash dimmer switch. We just need to reroute it to its own switch. Thanks again!!! This MAY be doable. I told my husband I cleaned the whole thing including the shower and toilet, so it's his job to fix everything else. Lol
The sending unit is usually resistor based and usually goes from 0 to 330ohms. Repairing it may be doable it is usually the float that no longer floats on the sender arm or the resistor bar is damaged and the files wire insulation could have rubbed off.