Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #29

Or must move to Montana ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
From a law enforcement view, I've been told two of the three things must match
1) Licence Plates on vehicle
2) Insurance address for vehicle
3) Address listed on driver's license

Otherwise, you run into big headaches...

-Mark

Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
From a law enforcement view, I've been told two of the three things must match
1) Licence Plates on vehicle
2) Insurance address for vehicle
3) Address listed on driver's license

Otherwise, you run into big headaches...

-Mark
I don't think you'd have a problem getting the insurance and DL to match even if they are a state other than Montana. My insurance company wanted the address where the motor home was going to be "garaged", they didn't care where it was titled.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I am one of those people that have a problem with the tax loophole of LLC registrations. I won't turn anyone in but you are using my states roads and Infrastructure and should share equally in paying for it. I didn't like paying $13k in taxes but I did.

Slemnah, if I apply your logic, since you do not pay taxes in my state, you can not use my states roads and infrastructure. Lucky for you that is not the logic used in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, come on over, our state is financially solvent. Oh, btw, when I bought my coach in California, I paid $23k in taxes, so I should get to drive on your roads for s little while.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #33

Everyone talks about the ownership with a Montana LLC. That has nothing to do with what the states care about which is registration.

States do not care who owns a vehicle, the issue is if the vehicle is "garaged" in the state. If it is "garaged" there, it needs to be registered there.

Most of the northern states, "garage" status starts 30 days. The Sunbelt states usually have 6 months or more visitor time before a vehicle is "garaged".

A full-timer has more leeway because they are temporary outside of their resident state. But you have to be careful. For example, Arizona has 6 month of visitor status but if you get a job, or collect a service from the state, then you window to get registered to two weeks.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #34
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Used to be that a lot of people in Colorado did their tags up in MT until the State found out about it and cracked down.

I have registered my current coach in Colorado so that both the coach and the tag have the same plates. If they are different, it is a dead giveaway.

They rake you over the coals and then some when it came to taxing the rig. They charge regular sales tax (8% or so depending on the county) whether you are buying a sandwich or a motorhome.

If I was to ever buy a brand new motorhome it would be in a state that does not charge sales tax on them. Tens of thousands of dollars in tax savings.

Expensive "sandwich".
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Everyone talks about the ownership with a Montana LLC. That has nothing to do with what the states care about which is registration.

States do not care who owns a vehicle, the issue is if the vehicle is "garaged" in the state. If it is "garaged" there, it needs to be registered there.

Most of the northern states, "garage" status starts 30 days. The Sunbelt states usually have 6 months or more visitor time before a vehicle is "garaged".

A full-timer has more leeway because they are temporary outside of their resident state. But you have to be careful. For example, Arizona has 6 month of visitor status but if you get a job, or collect a service from the state, then you window to get registered to two weeks.
Dale hit the nail on the head. That is exactly the case.

One other confusing aspect is that many assume that an LLC is strictly a business entity. It is not. It is an asset protection entity. We have seen many different assets put into LLC's from homes to cars to vehicles driven by the kids to an almost you name it level. The TV attorneys are always looking for someone to sue and the LLC makes the target a lot less attractive.

The standard joke is that LLC means Lawyers Lose Cash. There is a very large element of truth to that comment.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #36

Unfortunately the power that be decided in CA to use the road tax and registration taxes to fund many things that had nothing to do with fixing the roads so now they want to tax us for the miles we drive. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to spend any more in taxes than anyone else. I just want everyone to be on the same playing field doing their part. As for the states that allow it, that's great if you benefit from it. What I don't like to see is the Montana plates on a Vehicle owned by a state resident knowing they circumvented the system.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
And, ESPECIALLY, a Driver's License in the pocket of the driver that does not match the State of one or both of the vehicles. In that situation, the only thing that needs to happen for you to begin your problems is to get stopped for a traffic ticket.

Additionally, what may be legal today could be different tomorrow. Sure, a Montana LLC is legal... it is the "home" State of the owner that is, on an ever-increasing frequency, figuring out how to collect taxes they think rightfully belong to them. In my opinion, that's just too fine a line to walk.

Maybe a lawyer can weigh in here and clarify but, if I'm not mistaken, the Montana LLC popularity began with RVers when someone actually had business to conduct in multiple states and the LLC was for profitable business (using the Coach to help accomplish said business) rather than just a shell in which to hold a vehicle. I would feel much more comfortable defending the first scenario than the second.

Here's your exact scenario. My father had a Class A CDL from Missouri, pick up truck tagged in South Dakota, 5th wheel tagged in Montana under an LLC. Stopped in Illinois for a few mph over the limit. Trooper asked him if everything was gonna come back OK, Dad said it would. A few minutes later he was issued a warning and told to have a nice day.
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #38

[Moderator Edit] With all this "debating" about what's RIGHT, what's LEGAL, and STORIES of who's been caught and, for WHAT REASON, I just wonder, we're only talking between a few folks here on this forum. I just wonder how many RV folks, all across this nation, who don't participate in this or any other RV forum, who have an LLC, have had one in the past, or are setting one up as we all "speak" here, and have had absolutely ZERO issues, with any state entity, law enforcement, motor vehicle registration, tax officials, and more????

Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #39

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Thread such as this one show up on all RV forums a couple of times a year. Usually I post the following quotation by the famous judge Learned Hand:

Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as
possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the
treasury. There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes.
Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister
in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everyone
does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any
public duty to pay more than the law demands.

I pay all the taxes I am obligated to pay; I choose to use every legal mechanism available to avoid paying one penny more than I have to.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Here's your exact scenario. My father had a Class A CDL from Missouri, pick up truck tagged in South Dakota, 5th wheel tagged in Montana under an LLC. Stopped in Illinois for a few mph over the limit. Trooper asked him if everything was gonna come back OK, Dad said it would. A few minutes later he was issued a warning and told to have a nice day.
The other shoe dropping on the scenario you cite is, if he had been stopped in Missouri, his Domicile State, that "warning" may have been more and he would, most likely, be receiving letters from the State, County and Local taxing authorities. In your case, Illinois doesn't much care because none of those potential taxes are "theirs".
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Thread such as this one show up on all RV forums a couple of times a year. Usually I post the following quotation by the famous judge Learned Hand:

Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as
possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the
treasury. There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes.
Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister
in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everyone
does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any
public duty to pay more than the law demands.

I pay all the taxes I am obligated to pay; I choose to use every legal mechanism available to avoid paying one penny more than I have to.
I think that might be the finest post I've read in a very long time!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Used to be that a lot of people in Colorado did their tags up in MT until the State found out about it and cracked down.

I have registered my current coach in Colorado so that both the coach and the tag have the same plates. If they are different, it is a dead giveaway.

They rake you over the coals and then some when it came to taxing the rig. They charge regular sales tax (8% or so depending on the county) whether you are buying a sandwich or a motorhome.

If I was to ever buy a brand new motorhome it would be in a state that does not charge sales tax on them. Tens of thousands of dollars in tax savings.

Expensive "sandwich".
But when you go to register the vehicle they charge the sales tax if you bought in another state and register it in a state that charges sales/use tax.. We bought the Magna in OR, a non sales tax state. But when we registered it in WA we paid the over $25,000 use tax to WA to register it. Glad that was on a used vehicle, I would hate to pay it on a new rig like ours.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana