Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Montana LLC

Anyone doing a Montana LLC question is if the Motor home is licensed in Montana and you live outside of Montana can you store the Motorhome without issue in the home state of residence. We are picking up our new Motorhome thus the question. Have talked to attorney but would like a personal point of view,

AndySally

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySally View Post
Anyone doing a Montana LLC question is if the Motor home is licensed in Montana and you live outside of Montana can you store the Motorhome without issue in the home state of residence. We are picking up our new Motorhome thus the question. Have talked to attorney but would like a personal point of view,

AndySally
All depends on the state law of your home state, they all have different laws when it comes to this. You will have to study up on the laws in your home state pertaining to LLC laws.
Maybe someone that lives in SD and has a LLC will comment.?
I assume that is your home state by your profile?

Old 05-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA won't allow it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:

AndySally
You don't say which "Lawyer" you talked to but, if I recall, there is or was, a firm called the "Bennet Law Firm" in Montana that specialized in LLCs for Motor homes etc. Those boys knew/know ALL the states laws pertaining to this action. They know exactly what each state will and or, will not allow. It's been a while since the old "LLC" thread has popped up. Usually it's about once a month.

But, to cover all your bases, just make sure that it's in writing, any and all laws pertaining to you and your coach, AND YOUR INSURANCE on your coach, in your particular state, are well explained. And, if there's any vagueness, in any part of any law, you'd better make sure it's CRYSTAL clear before you sign any papers.

There are many jealous people on this planet and, they figure that since they pay their share of taxes and registration fees, then ALL PEOPLE must do the same so, if and when you have some neighbors that might fall into that category, be prepared for a visit from the local LEO and or, DMV staff to question your actions and registrations.

Also, based on any one particular states rules, there are certain steps that need to be precisely followed in terms of actual purchase, storage and use of LLC motor homes. Just make sure you know EVERYTHING that can come back and bite you.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

Yes your right on all of what you advise, we live in SD but may move to Montana in a few months so we are checking out the best state for our retirement. Montana seems to be a little cheaper than SD so we are looking at options.

THANKS
Old 05-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes your right on all of what you advise, we live in SD but may move to Montana in a few months so we are checking out the best state for our retirement. Montana seems to be a little cheaper than SD so we are looking at options.

THANKS
Hey, if you have about 20-40 acres around Custer you want to part with hit me up. A barn on it would be nice but house is not necessary.
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
srh

Monaco Owners Club
As I understand it, Montana LLC's are pretty common for RV taxation and registration. The fellow I bought my Newell from had a Montana LLC. I registered/titled mine in my state of residency, just to be safe.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
When I looked at a MT LLC in 2014 I contacted Bennett. They sent me a fact sheet outlining all the rules for my home state. There are other law firms that do LLC's but I'm not sure if they do this or not. Bennet"s was very specific.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:51 PM   #9

I contacted them as well and found that Maryland, where we lived at the time, was going to have an issue with it if the coach was in state for more than 30 days.

Our solution was to go full time and change address to SD.
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our coach was registered to an LLC in Montana by the PO. When we purchased it we formed our own then transferred it. It's never been on the books in our home state and never will. Besides we're out of state 7 months out of the year any way.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #11

The Montana LLC is always a hot issue. You do need to check out the residency laws of South Dakota first and make sure you can comply with those laws and document your compliance. Residency issues are very complex and we have had several residency audits that have taken over two years to resolve.

One of my clients got nailed using the Montana LLC. He had used Bennett to set up the LLC. When the fertilizer hit the ventilator (variation of old saying) and NYS taxation came calling Bennett's comment was that they were not licensed in NY so good luck.

Many full timers use South Dakota as a residency and many use the Montana LLC without a problem. You will need to do your own research to see what does and does not work.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

I am one of those people that have a problem with the tax loophole of LLC registrations. I won't turn anyone in but you are using my states roads and Infrastructure and should share equally in paying for it. I didn't like paying $13k in taxes but I did.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
laj

if it doesnt work for you, dont use it. it works for me, so i do. its just like everything else, people pick and choose what and how they want to do things.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #14

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with using an LLC to buy a motorhome and then having an insurance claim denied because they weren't carrying commercial insurance. I decided to just go with the SD residency and pay the taxes to avoid any potential legal issues.

Tags
montana