Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #29

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the 36la. DH & I are seriously considering this for our first MH the end of this year.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
I knew from the get-go that you can not justify a motor home but I will tell you its a lot cheaper than owning a airplane. Airplanes go from runway to runway and jet fuel can run $8 to $12.00 a gallon. A motor home is so much more fun and the people you meet are for the most part are friendly, will give you the shirt off their back and willing to help you even if you don't need help, but that is what makes this part of life enjoyable. You can't take it with you so enjoy the traveling before you fasten the seatbelt for that rocking chair.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #31

Te OP's formula is lacking one major thing. We is not budgeting for anything breaking. Yeah right. Nothing ever goes wrong with these things.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroan View Post
I knew from the get-go that you can not justify a motor home but I will tell you its a lot cheaper than owning a airplane. Airplanes go from runway to runway and jet fuel can run $8 to $12.00 a gallon. A motor home is so much more fun and the people you meet are for the most part are friendly, will give you the shirt off their back and willing to help you even if you don't need help, but that is what makes this part of life enjoyable. You can't take it with you so enjoy the traveling before you fasten the seatbelt for that rocking chair.

Jroan
I don't know how anyone could put a price tag on the good times we have or the smiles I see on my Grandkids faces when we take them with us. If everything boiled down to the operating cost of the RV then we would see a lot fewer RV's on the road.

As a side bar; I do not know where you by your Jet A fuel but in the greater Cincinnati area it is more in the $5 per gallon range. Larger airports like CVG (Cincinnati/Northern KY Int'l A/P) is in the $6 plus range.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone has forgotten the Stupid Tax.....you know...like the cost of fixing your electrical cord after driving off with it still attached. Not that I've done anything like that, of course.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I don't know how anyone could put a price tag on the good times we have or the smiles I see on my Grandkids faces when we take them with us. If everything boiled down to the operating cost of the RV then we would see a lot fewer RV's on the road.

As a side bar; I do not know where you by your Jet A fuel but in the greater Cincinnati area it is more in the $5 per gallon range. Larger airports like CVG (Cincinnati/Northern KY Int'l A/P) is in the $6 plus range.
In the north west Jet A with priest would exceed $11.00 a gal. Most of Europe JP 5 would exceed that amount due to the money exchange rate. I retired Jan 2011 and have not purchased any type aviation fuel so the current price may not be so expensive. I enjoyed the flying but I love RVing and agree with you about the Grandkids that is priceless. Live Long and Enjoy the Life You Have.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #35

With this post I wasnt really trying to justify the cost but inform others the hidden cost of owning a large class A mh. Some people actually think that when you go buy one that its the cost of the payment and fuel. The Maint cost (especially the DP's) can be as much or more than the payment.
Besides how can you put a price on the memories you make with family and friends.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
We stepped up to a MH from a TC we bought new in 04' (still have the TC) and still have not had to put a dime in it. I knew when the DW wanted a MH (so she could quilt in it) that my inexpensive spoiled days with the TC would change. This is not to scare anyone! The previous owner saved every receipt from when the coach was new....$52,000.00 worth. This did not include diesel, insurance, or CG's. Long story short.....after trying to convince the DW that this was not going to be a good investment....she simply looked at me and said: "Either we spend our money and enjoy life........or the kids will!!" I called the owner up and set an appointment to buy it the next day. Yesterday, after our week long trip down the Oregon Coast with our daughter and family, we dropped it off at a dealer to have new slide covers installed, fix the Splendid washer/dryer, stiffen up the slushiness in our step and do an oil, filter and lube job. Yup, cost is estimated at about $1600. But at least I'm spending it while I got the chance...and I will be the first to admit that it's much nicer to come back to the MH than it is the TC after a day of fishing!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #37

This is a difficult thread and my opinion is the cost of ownership is hard to rationalize so just enjoy the ride while you can.
nieders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I give up.... What's a TC?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #39

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
I give up.... What's a TC?
X2?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #40
Community Administrator

How's , truck camper ??

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #41

When we did our cost analysis we approached it from a different angle. We have always travelled from tents to condos but when the kids were on their own we did an analysis of travel expenses for the DW and myself. Choices we considered were a vacation home in the south, airfare and condo (or some other rental), or upgrading to a larger rig. Believe it or not, it was pretty much a wash. So it simply came down to lifestyle. One way or the other money was to be spend travelling so just budget accordingly. With age upon us and the clock continuously ticking, I'm more concerned about the depreciation on ourselves than any coach we own. Therefore the monthly cost of operating a Class A is the cost of maintaining ourselves. Just an interesting way to consol myself when the numbers on the gas pump are flashing by me.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #42

I guess the money spent doesn't bother me because I look at it different. First off it's not an investment to me, it's a family activity. That I can't put a price on. We also didn't spend an arm and a leg for the MH. Found a good unit in our price range and paid cash. Insurance isn't bad and the CG fees for a weekend are far less then what I spend on 1 round of golf. Memories with family = priceless.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote