Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Monthly cost on top of payment

So to get a handle on all the expenses and understand how much it cost to maintain a large class A MH I took all the maintenance cost for the year and items such as tires, shocks, brakes, belts, hoses and divided them by the amount of years they should last. Using yearly filter replacements and doing the work myself this is what I came up with. Mind you this includes plates, insurance RSA,, storage so depending on your location within the country this will vary too. Basically came down to $3811 per yr or $317 per month assuming nothing breaks and includes no labor.
Also at about 8.5mpg and $4.15 per gal it costs about .48 cents per mile for fuel. We avg about 5k miles a year or $2400 =200 per month.
So on top of the monthly payment I have to plan on about $517 a month.
Just thought I would share even though the costs will vary by location and use. But a decent baseline.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

How about CG's and don't forget depreciation. If a MH depreciates $ 6,000 a year , that's $500 a month. That may not be an expense but it is a cost of ownership that most don't consider.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
How about CG's and don't forget depreciation. If a MH depreciates $ 6,000 a year , that's $500 a month. That may not be an expense but it is a cost of ownership that most don't consider.
Good point! We typically spend almost as much in CG as we do on fuel.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Your CG's only cost $200 a month ?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Your CG's only cost $200 a month ?
Yea we are not full time so what we spend from may till Nov is about 2400
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

The DW and I both work and so I pay for fuel she pays for the CG. Basically because she is a nurse and only works 3 days a week so its easier for her to make the resv.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
May of last year we spent approx. $1,400 in Diesel and Gas, $1,300 in Food and Restaurants, $920 in CG fees (some nightly then went monthly at a spot), and then about another $1,000 on other things
We did drive from MI back to CA in that time period before setting up a monthly site for a few months. So the numbers may be a little not normal but that's what we spent May of last year.
June was about as expensive but the money went to extra stuff instead of travel that month, lol.
(I got a Neat receipts and put all the receipts in there. That's how I can see where it went.)

EDIT: I forgot to put in there the $350 for the RV and the $250 for the Bike payments .... So yea it adds up quick. I will say when I looked at the next few months expenses went down over $1000 a month. I guess April - July were just the more expensive months last year.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess it's easy to take for granted at times. Sure does ADD up fast.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #9

Before I retired, I budgeted $12K for fulltiming. It's closer to $10K.
Sure beats the money-pit house expenses!

I ignore depreciation. When you pay for a rig, cash out is only that. Cant subtract more than you are paying!

When I trade, there will be a residual value that ends up as part of the new deal, a little treat at the end of the parade. Until trade time, it is an intangible, invisible asset.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #10

We are picking up our new Allegro 36LA this week. From the second we put a deposit on it, I have kept a spreadsheet of related costs, equipment, supplies, storage, insurance, etc. Understand, this MH has 184 miles on the odometer, so while the numbers are skewed, they are humorous (in a sadistic sort of way.) So far, my MH is costing me $12.89 per mile, as in 12 dollars and 89 cents per mile !!!! I told DW we need to get some miles on this baby so I can get the cost down to under $10 per mile. Maybe it is cheaper to own an airplane. Like they say, if it floats or flies, just rent it !!!
John777Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Before I retired, I budgeted $12K for fulltiming. It's closer to $10K.
Sure beats the money-pit house expenses!

I ignore depreciation. When you pay for a rig, cash out is only that. Cant subtract more than you are paying!

When I trade, there will be a residual value that ends up as part of the new deal, a little treat at the end of the parade. Until trade time, it is an intangible, invisible asset.
You can ignore depreciation if it makes you feel good ,but when a $ 100,000 MH is worth $ $50,000 in say six years , you're $10,000 yearly cost is now $18,000.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John777Cal View Post
We are picking up our new Allegro 36LA this week. From the second we put a deposit on it, I have kept a spreadsheet of related costs, equipment, supplies, storage, insurance, etc. Understand, this MH has 184 miles on the odometer, so while the numbers are skewed, they are humorous (in a sadistic sort of way.) So far, my MH is costing me $12.89 per mile, as in 12 dollars and 89 cents per mile !!!! I told DW we need to get some miles on this baby so I can get the cost down to under $10 per mile. Maybe it is cheaper to own an airplane. Like they say, if it floats or flies, just rent it !!!
I don't want to know what it costs. I'll just enjoy the fun times.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:

You can ignore depreciation if it makes you feel good ,but when a $ 100,000 MH is worth $ $50,000 in say six years , you're $10,000 yearly cost is now $18,000.
I see the cost of the RV in business/economic terms. It is a "sunk cost", a cost that has already been incurred, with little hope for much recovery.
So, although the depreciation is real, I have no reason to account for it because the money is already spent.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Looking at the original cost of my 2002 Windsor and what the NADA retail is on it now, the depreciation comes out to $16,000 per year!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote