Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #1

More easy questions from a new guy....

We took off on our second trip with the new to us Winne Vectra. Both times we have had trouble with a sewer smell coming back into the camper. Both times we have used it the possibility of dumping tanks onsite was not a option and roughly about halfway home it starts. After the first trip, I bought chemicals for both tanks and doubled the dosage hoping for optimum results.

Im looking at the schematics on Winn Industries and think that my bathroom sink possibly hooks into the black tank too?? It appears to me that its a possibility. The toilet has water holding in the bowl so im sure its not coming from there. My only other thought is if there was a valve between the gray and black to let excess gray flow over into the black and the smell is coming back through the shower. The smell is coming from the bathroom so It has to be sink or shower. I have checked toilet valve and it holds water, and the bolts holding it down are good and tight and toilet is secure to the floor.

We got to the dump and i emptied both tanks. Got home and my black tank has a fast flush valve on the side so I kept filling it up and dumping and the water is clear as it is going in so im not sure how much cleaner tank can get.

Second...Ive noticed the front end sits lower than the rear. I don't see airbags inside the springs so i have to assume it was spring only. I will measure tonight to see what the gap is at the bump stops to see if it needs new springs.. Is there a recommended outlet for them?

Thanks for the help

95 Vectra/P30
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchamp View Post
We took off on our second trip with the new to us Winne Vectra. Both times we have had trouble with a sewer smell coming back into the camper. Both times we have used it the possibility of dumping tanks onsite was not a option and roughly about halfway home it starts. After the first trip, I bought chemicals for both tanks and doubled the dosage hoping for optimum results.

Im looking at the schematics on Winn Industries and think that my bathroom sink possibly hooks into the black tank too?? It appears to me that its a possibility. The toilet has water holding in the bowl so im sure its not coming from there. My only other thought is if there was a valve between the gray and black to let excess gray flow over into the black and the smell is coming back through the shower. The smell is coming from the bathroom so It has to be sink or shower. I have checked toilet valve and it holds water, and the bolts holding it down are good and tight and toilet is secure to the floor.
We got to the dump and i emptied both tanks. Got home and my black tank has a fast flush valve on the side so I kept filling it up and dumping and the water is clear as it is going in so im not sure how much cleaner tank can get.
Thanks for the help
95 Vectra/P30
etchamp
IMO if tank odor gets into your coach either something needs FIXING or you are doing something WRONG.
BTW, it is not unusual for the bathroom sink to drain to the black tank, (mine does also).
The smell may be coming from either tank. (grey can smell as bad as black).

If you do an IRV2 forum search for "tank odor" you will find many "ideas" and "opinions" about sewer smells.... (and MAYBE even the solution to your tank odor problem).

Good luck

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Most likely a vacuum breaking valve under the sink. Looks like a water pipe to nowhere with a thing on the end. Home Depot type store has them.

LEN
Old 05-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #4

If you are not smelling it until half way home are you by any chance leaving the bathroom vent cracked going down the highway? You may be causing a negative pressure differential and sucking fumes up through the sink. Also look under sink and see if you have a vacuum break valve that could be bad. You can get them at Lowes or HD.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Make sure water is in your shower trap. Air can move into the vents on top, and push air back up through any sink or shower trap. Could be that motion of movement helps the traps clear of water, especially if installed at a funny angle. Grey tanks smell as bad, if not worse than, black tanks.

Happy Campers powder is your best friend, but it will take a few dumps to really take effect.

Wash out both tanks like crazy, 3 or 5 time each, then put in a little water, then put in happy campers and let it start working.

From what I understand, devices such as a cyclone sewer vent work VERY well at keeping air moving out, not in, while driving.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Most likely a vacuum breaking valve under the sink. Looks like a water pipe to nowhere with a thing on the end. Home Depot type store has them.
LEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
If you are not smelling it until half way home are you by any chance leaving the bathroom vent cracked going down the highway? You may be causing a negative pressure differential and sucking fumes up through the sink. Also look under sink and see if you have a vacuum break valve that could be bad. You can get them at Lowes or HD.
2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
etchamp
LEN & Duoglide1 are correct

A bad "Air Admittance Valve", (AAV), a type of vacuum breaker used in plumbing drain lines, can allow tank odor into the coach.

AAV VALVE

BTW, true "Vacuum Breakers", (which are used in pressurized water lines), can also be found in some RVs.
Although they can sometimes leak fresh water they seldom cause a "tank smell" in the coach:

VACUUM BREAKER

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All of the above, and...

You mentioned that you smelled it on your way home. Did you by any chance have your driver's side window open? Of even cracked a bit? Just like Duoglide1 said with the open vent causing a negative pressure issue, your driver's window being open could cause the same problem.

If it's a negative pressure issue, there's an upgraded vent cap you can install that will likely solve the problem. It creates a venturi effect that draws air up an out the vent instead of simply creating pressure in the tank that is vented into the interior.

RV Siphon Vent Cap
Cyclone Sewer Vent Cap

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #8

Windows were all closed and so were the roof vents/fans. Im a AC guy so the dash air was on.

When I get home I will look it over closer. It is a 95 with 25K on it and has been sitting for the most part of the last few years so I think things like this are just part of getting it back to good although the wife and daughter are not to happy with the smell.

We have a race coming up in two weeks so this and a panhard/trackbar are on the "hurry and and get done list". The front springs I may save until after racing season concludes.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

I opened the cabinet and found this

Pro-Vent

FWIW, it was loose as in two fingers backed it out maybe a full turn and it fell off.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #10

That's the beast. If it's loose it can leak. It can also stick open. It should let air into the pipe but not out.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

Another area to look at is if your RV has a washer/dryer option then the smell can com from the drain line.
I have also seen where the toilet seal, located between the black pipe coming out of the floor and going into the toilet. This is an o-ring that seals the pipe and toilet. The only way to get to it is to pull the toilet and replace.

2013 Georgetown XL 378

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

It's not a rotten egg smell by chance verse poopy which would be batteries.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #13

No washer and dryer and it is not a battery. I know its coming from the bathroom somewhere just got to find out where.

1. Removed both AAV's and will get new tomorrow.

2. Ceiling fan/vent closed during transport as was all windows.

3. Toilet had water a couple of inches deep in bowl so the valve was not dry.

4. Toilet is not leaking into floor and I did check and snug up bolts when purchased...possible issue maybe but with no leaks im not sure.

5. The tops of the tanks are dry.

6. Sink and shower both have standard P trap...possibly sloshing empty during traveling.

7. Roof vent is behind wall and I cannot see it...not really sure how to check it without putting water in it to see if pipe has came apart????
Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #14

and I almost forgot...jammed under the front too and noticed that it did have air bags and they are destroyed. I assumed it didnt have as there was no controller or lines that I could find.

This fun never ends!