Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
One of these has been known to help.
Amazon.com: Camco 40595 White Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vent: Automotive

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

One thing I don't see mentioned (could have missed it) is to check the actual roof vent itself. Many times when motorhomes sit for long periods critters or wasps build a nest in the vent cap on the roof. If there's no way for the fumes to escape you're going to get the smell inside.

It's best to take a flashlight with you when checking the vent. Remove the screw holding the cap in place and shine down the pipe. It should be clear all the way down. If it isn't you'll have to take some kind of rod or stick and remove the obstruction.

The vent pipe should only extend about 6" into the tank. If it's further down you may be filling the tank high enough to block it off. It has been reported a few times that the pipe has come loose and slid further into the tank. It's not common, but has happened. It should be noticeable because the pipe and cap should stick about 6" above the roof line. If it's much lower than that the pipe has possibly slipped. If it has slipped I would take it to a professional to have it repaired. Believe accessing the tanks is a miserable job if you don't have ALL the proper tools.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #17

I did not see any obstructions in the top. I have a cyclone coming today that I plan to install tonight and we will open it up to look down the tube.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchamp View Post
I did not see any obstructions in the top. I have a cyclone coming today that I plan to install tonight and we will open it up to look down the tube.
etchamp
If everything is as it should be in both your black and grey sewer/drain systems you do not need to add any "gadgets" or "gizmos".
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles, (113 k mine, since '01)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #19

I agree with that but climbing on top to check the vent it made sense to try it. BTW, the vent pipe looked clean as far as I could see. I installed the cyclone, installed the new AAV vents on both sinks, and stuck the cleaning wand in the tank and worked it over for a few minutes. Went and flushed the tank and the water was still good and clear.

I think the next step is some tank cleaner like Tank Techs or Happy Camper just to see what it can do.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #20

You probably have the tanks clean enough. The next time waste goes into either tank, an odor will be generated and unless you have corrected the air leak, you will still have the foul smell in the coach. We have used Happy Camper in the past and still do at times. We have come to rely more on Pine Power which controls odor, but also cleans the tanks. Pine-Sol doesn't work as it does not have any pine oil in it. Pine Power is harder to find, but we have found other products with Pine Oil and they work too. It's a pretty simple system, but has several places where odor can enter the coach. Once those areas function as designed, your odor will vent outside where it belongs.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You probably have the tanks clean enough. The next time waste goes into either tank, an odor will be generated and unless you have corrected the air leak, you will still have the foul smell in the coach. Once those areas function as designed, your odor will vent outside where it belongs.
Correct
The goal is to stop tank odor from getting into the coach.

"Cleaning" a tank you are going to use is an exersize in futility... and tank chemicals, additives and cleaners only serve to make the "gunk" in the tank smell like "perfumed gunk".

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
',ok k,k

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #23

To add... Our toilets have overflow drain holes that lead to a trap, if that trap is dry its a pathway for sewer gas. Overfill the toilet and watch where the water goes.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #24

Itshould not make any difference if sink drains into the black tank as long as you have a trap. The water in the trap would stop the odor
Old 05-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
To add... Our toilets have overflow drain holes that lead to a trap, if that trap is dry its a pathway for sewer gas. Overfill the toilet and watch where the water goes.
Vectraguy

Occasionally the trap, (traps?), in my Sealand 510 toilet dry out and allow black tank odor into the coach.
Adding water into the 2 drain holes near the top of the toilet bowl, with a turkey baster refills the trap, traps(s), and stops the stink for many months, (sometimes years).
Mel
'96 Safari. (mine since '01)
Old 06-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #26

FWIW, I took off over the weekend to test run the race car. I was only about an hour away from home but there was nothing bad to report. We leave again in a few weeks to Beech Bend Park in Kentucky so we'll see how it goes.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the Cyclone vent works great! Hopefully that problem is solved. I previously had an 89 Winnebago with P30. The front coil airbags were also completely disintegrated. Get some new air lifts to replace them and you will be amazed at what a difference it will make in how that rig drives down the road! (I ran 60 -70 psi in the bags) Particularly in wind and when the 18 wheelers breeze by! Good Luck!

mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote