Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
More electrical gremlins

I am beginning to hate electricity I am dry camping At Lake Hartwell and need some suggestions Generator is running AC is working everything else seems to be running off of my coach batteries. They are now have a battery charger on them but can't seem to get them charged This morning I heard a pop and it seemed that everything in the coach was operating off the generator but now I am losing power to everything but the a/c. Help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

Have you checked the voltage at the batteries?
Are you using a battery charger other than the on board converter/charger?
If so ; why ?

If you heard a pop , and the coach batteries won't charge , good chance there was an internal battery failure , shut everything off , disconnect the batteries and check voltage of each battery.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I am using an external battery charger. Batteries are at 11.7 to 11.9 b
Per the internal gushed. Battery charger just reads 12 volts but only. 14% charge. They are brand new batteries last week.
Why isn't everything running off the generator. The intelligence shows power to frig etc frig is definitely running off the batteries
Old 08-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am using an external battery charger because apparently the built in one is not working. Last night coach lights keep getting dimmer and dimmer than the refrigerator shut down. When I hooked up the external charger refrigerator came back on and eventually lights had normal illumination

The inventor was rebuilt earlier this year and had been working fine but now I cannot switch at the panel to supposedly use the inverters
Old 08-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #5

Brand new ; doesn't mean the batteries are good .
JMHO. On board charger failed and aux battery charger having trouble , you need to check those batteries , individually , I think you'll find one has blown an inter cell connector . If you get the bad battery out of the system IF you have 2 , 12volt batteries , charging and second battery may keep things going until you get a replacement.

Low battery voltage will probably prevent the inverter from cutting in.

EDIT: Shutting every thing down to check the batteries , will also give you a chance to make sure all the connections are 100% , as a poor connection is the other possible cause of your problem.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
There are usually breakers on the inverter. I would reset the breakers on it. There is also a small, very small fuse on it that could be bad. Next could be a transfer switch issue with a loose connection. Make sure all is off, 12v switch, breakers on the generator, no power to the coach then remove the cover and tighten. My coach also has a 300 amp fuse that is essential to power the coach. It doesn't look like a normal fuse, more like a solid silver colored round tube with flat ends. It really sounds like the problem is at the inverter to me.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I reset all breakers that I could find on the inverter. Also disconnected and reconnected the wire that goes from the inverter to the negative battery side as well as the one that looks like a telephone wire. No change. Leave for Bristol tomorrow, will see if I can find somebody on route to assist. Question, at Bristol I will have 50 amp service. If I am connected to shore power will the issue of running of the coach batteries go away while on shore power. So do I go to an RV repair facility or should I be looking for someone who might specialize in electrical issues. To me most RV repair shops are more in tune with fixing leaks in plumbing type issues.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #8

FWIW the problem will probably remain. It sounds like you have a messed up system or do not understand how it works. Maybe a bit of both.

The basic setup is that the batteries provide 12 VDC for controls and lights.

Shore cord feeds 120 AC to the microwave, refrigerator, A/C's and other appliances. It also feeds 120 VAC to the converter or converter section of a combined converter/inverter. That in turn feeds 12 VDC to charge the batteries and supply the lights and other 12 VDC loads when on shore power.

The generator replaces the shore cord.

With that in mind you should not be using the inverter to feed 120 VAC to anything when on shore power or generator. The gotcha there is that the inverter probably has to be on to keep the converter section going. There should be an internal transfer switch in the inverter to pass through shore power instead of making it.

If the 12 VDC is dropping it is because the converter section is not supplying power to the DC system to charge the batteries while supplying the other loads or you are drawing way too much 12 VDC current. You will draw too much current if the inverter is running loads like the refrigerator when on shore power. The batteries can also be disconnected because the storage relay is either off or faulty. you could also have a 120 VAC feed breaker popped for the power to the converter as well as the breakers on the unit. It's really time to check the breakers then start taking 120 VAC measurements to find out where power is getting to then DC measurements to find out what is going after you know the converter is getting power.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all of the comments so far. I agree I believe the problem is between the inverter and the coach. Just had the inverter rebuilt so while it is possible that is the problem it goes down to the bottom of the probability list. I am guessed it is more like the transfer switch or a solenoid that has failed. Will have to tough it out until after Bristol than find a shop that understands RV systems. As long as we have A/C we can survive. Guess we will be a little bit more like camping.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Now have all of the batteries out and am charging and testing independently.
Question concerning re-installing. There is a wire (actually two wires bundled together) that comes from the inverter to the batteries. I want to be sure I install everything correctly, does it go to the negative or battery terminal post.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #11

Find a qualified RV technician as you have no IDEA what your dealing with.
Your going to hurt your self or the coach.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Update, pulled all of the batteries, tested independently, one came up as a bad cell. Replaced the battery, checked the 300 amp fuse, all ok. Re-installed the batteries and all is working fine.
Bad battery, bad connection ?, not sure which but all is working as it is supposed to be.
Thanks everyone for your comments, with a little help such as this forum I can usually work through problems.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Update. FYI
After my last post everything went to H*** in handbasket as some people say. After spending hours tracing wires etc couldn't seem to locate the problem. Called my inverter company, told them my tale of woe and they determined that the wire that goes from the inverter to the negative battery post had failed. It has a 10 amp resistor in the connector, and they determined that it probably had failed or there was a short in the wire. The original wire is pulled very tight, and they told me have seen similar failures in coaches with slide out battery trays. They sent me a new wire, which was much longer that the original. Installed it this weekend, seems like that resolved the problem as my three stage internal battery charger is working fine.

Tags
electrical