Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #1

Question More Opinions

Hi.
Found a 1999 Forest River Georgetown 346S, for an unreal price (I know gota be a catch) but before I invest any time in it, what are they like, I know that they are not top of the line for sure
Thanks.
service_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

You might want to investigate over on the FR forum. I remember reading about someone who had the lower part of the body at the front separate from the chassis while he was driving. He could see the road under his feet. Turned out that the fasteners between the body and chassis were poorly designed and weak. He ended up through-bolting it with heavy carriage bolts while out on a road trip as I recall. Not to say they are all like that but when I read about a story like that, it would make me want to dig a lot deeper, esp. on an older unit.

If something sounds too good to be true......
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by service_guy View Post
Hi.
Found a 1999 Forest River Georgetown 346S, for an unreal price (I know gota be a catch) but before I invest any time in it, what are they like, I know that they are not top of the line for sure
Thanks.
Yes definately go to the Forrest River Forums sight. There is a Georgetown thread with lots of posts. I have browsed it and read many posts. For the most part people were generally pleased with the units.

1n
mlvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Also depending on where you found it, ie the internet, it maybe a scam. I found that while searching for coaches one would often come upon a coach at well below market value. If you followed up on it always seemed to be somewhere where you couldn't go look at it. Also remember you pretty much get what you pay for.
You may also want to go to rv.org pay what they're asking and then start your search again.
Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #5

This $7200 one in Miami?

I don't think that's even a Georgetown in the pictures. I think it's a Rexhall.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

If it's the one in the link, that screams scam.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
If it's a long distance seller that offers a third party escrow to hold your money subject to your physical inspection approval or denial.......run...run...run. We came upon the same thing on an unbelievable price on a Discovery in Tennessee. Guy claimed he was a building contractor and didn't have time to show it and the price was low because he had to sacrifice it because he was moving and had no place to put it. Offered an escrow company to hold our money subject to inspection. I offered to have our attorney hold it and he quit communicating with me and the ad was removed from Craig' List. We actually bought our MH off Craig's List, but you have to be very observant/careful and try to buy local.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
If it's a long distance seller that offers a third party escrow to hold your money subject to your physical inspection approval or denial.......run...run...run. We came upon the same thing on an unbelievable price on a Discovery in Tennessee. Guy claimed he was a building contractor and didn't have time to show it and the price was low because he had to sacrifice it because he was moving and had no place to put it. Offered an escrow company to hold our money subject to inspection. I offered to have our attorney hold it and he quit communicating with me and the ad was removed from Craig' List. We actually bought our MH off Craig's List, but you have to be very observant/careful and try to buy local.
I agree with the above poster. Twice, I have come close to being scammed on Ebay or Craigslist. The other thing that I found was, both times the scammer used 'whiteout' to hide the license plate on the photos. Just use your head and be careful...!