Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
More Pace Arrow Questions

Ok, here I am again asking some novice questions. We are once again considering the Vision that we previously looked at. You might remember that the inspection highlighted severe transmission leak, non working dash ac, and non working levelers (which the current owner told me about right from the start). After seeing the report the current owner was furious, he swears it has never leaked a drop and can show me where is been parked for 3 years. And he is willing to have it inspected again to prove this.

We really do like the coach, so we are going to see where this leads.He is also going to have the levelers checked out to find the exact issue. As far as the dash ac, I'm not too concerned as we can always use the rooftop, correct?

It is a 36b model, but I'm having no luck finding specs on it. He says it's a 1996, but I can't find any info on years prior to 1997. It has the chevy motor, but I'm not sure what the tranny would be, any help on that? It has the tag able if that makes a difference. Apparently there is no park in the tranny, or at least none that works. The parking brake must be used. Not sure how concerned I should be with that.

Other than that the coach seems very nice. Thanks for any help you can lend this newbie.

OC Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Unless you are getting a steal of a deal,I think I would pass on that one. There are plenty of good used Rv's out there to choose from that are in very good condition. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a link to another members purchase similar to your interest.
Considering a 1996 Pace Arrow

I bought mine 2 years ago, no slide, needed new tires, paid $10,000. For what it is worth, love the coach, very good quality for the era.

Hope this helps you somewhat in your decision.
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
We used to have a 1991 Pace Arrow, and for several years after we bought it, I collected brochures. Just so happen I have a 1996 Pace Arrow Vision brochure. It does not list a 36b, just a 33L, 33P, 35D, 35W and a 37J. Interestingly, I could not find mention of what transmission the coach used with the Chevy engine--my '91 had a 4L80--a piece of doggie-doo if you ask me, but sometime later Fleetwood went to an Allison transmission, which is great. That may be the reason the transmission on the one you are looking at does not have a park feature. If you have any questions that the brochure could answer, I'd be happy to help.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
I was told it had the Allison, just wanted to be sure that was the case. It has a single slide, something important to us as we have a couple of BIG dogs that will be living with us and it would be nice to not have to hurdle them every time we walk through the coach.

Here is the Craigslist listing. The folks selling it really seem like good people and have done everything we have asked so far.

96 Fleetwood/Pace Arrow
OC Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
The '96 PA Vision brochure does not show a floor plan with a slide, so perhaps it is an early 1997. Also the Pace Arrow Vision and Pace Arrow were slightly different models.
The 454 in our Pace Arrow warped the right exhaust manifold at around 75k miles--does this have original manifolds? We put Ring manifolds on ours and did a valve job at the same time, and it was still running fine when we sold it with about 112k miles. Still getting 3-4k miles on a quart of oil.
A compression check would be in order on this coach. Looks OK from the pictures, but can't give you advice on whether to buy it--that's your decision!
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 82 PA P-30 454 - 4 bbl. not sure on the trannie though. We tow a 99 deville on a KarKaddySS and have had no problems. Just turned 50,000 miles. We get around 8 MPG @ 55 with cruise. Haven't had to add oil or trannie fluid, I change it every 3,000 miles, and use a 20w-50w oil.
We love it and get compliments on her looks every time out.
We need to change over the dash AC to the new stuff but we just use the rooftop which will almost will freeze ya out. (I like the curtain they installed behind the driver/passenger sets.)
You have to live in it and maybe even fulltime in her so be sure she is what you want/need. Good luck and enjoy.

1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

pace arrow