Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question More tires 225/70R19.5

Well, I searched the threads and couldn't find anything on this tire size that would answer my questions. Sorry to add more tire talk, but...

We have a 1988 Holiday Rambler - 30 ft, Chevy 454 and need to replace the tires. The tires on it now are : Michelin 225/70R19.5
We have a limited budget and I have found the following tires, all in the size above:

Michelin XDE @ $260 ea (Costco)
Cooper Road Masters @ $215 ea (Cross-Midwest)
Hercules H-902 @ 200 ea (Cross-Midwest)
Hercules H-702 @ $225 ea (Cross-Midwest)

These are tire only costs, not mounting, balancing, etc...
I know these are on the cheap side, but I need help making this expensive decision. Does anyone have these on their coach? Does one ride better than the other? Do you love them, hate them...?

Also!! Is a different sized tire better for our rig - and why?

Any input at all is very much appreciated.

88Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #2

Just before I traded in my class C I'd just installed a set of Firestone Transforce tires. They rode much better than the tires I replaced due to side wall cracking. They were only 16 ", but you might try checking with Firestone to get a price for your size. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Ramblur View Post
I know these are on the cheap side, but I need help making this expensive decision.
Be glad (very, very glad) you aren't replacing 22.5's. Our fronts were over $600 each!

That said I don't trust my life and my wife's to anything but Michelins.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We just bought our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V with the Chevy 454 in April of this year & I put Hancook AH 11's all around for $1850 installed for 6 of them in Mass. Sold the old Coopers on Craigslist for $600 that were in pretty good shape still with the caveat that they were just to be used locally to someone local going to football games & concerts. Been very happy with them so far after 6K miles.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a 1988 Holiday Rambler Alumalite 35' with EIGHT tires.

Ours are 8R19.5. I have heard that you can switch them (to 225/70R19.5 ???) except for maybe the duals where spacing might be a problem.

A LOT of people believe that Michelin are the best. And maybe they are. But on our budget it ain't gonna happen. We are looking at Samson or Hankook. I heard some good things about Double Coin but they seem hard to find.

BTW we are looking for info on our wiper motor which appears to be a Sprague E-008-010. Can't really tell because the label is damaged. Would you have any info?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would "suspect"... and have no direct knowledge, that your rig MAY have started off with 8R19.5s

Here is a Goodyear conversion web page:

Size Conversions - Goodyear RV
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjell View Post
We have a 1988 Holiday Rambler Alumalite 35' with EIGHT tires.

Ours are 8R19.5. I have heard that you can switch them (to 225/70R19.5 ???) except for maybe the duals where spacing might be a problem.

A LOT of people believe that Michelin are the best. And maybe they are. But on our budget it ain't gonna happen. We are looking at Samson or Hankook. I heard some good things about Double Coin but they seem hard to find.

BTW we are looking for info on our wiper motor which appears to be a Sprague E-008-010. Can't really tell because the label is damaged. Would you have any info?
Yes, that's what we were told about the tires it had from the factory, and it has the 225/70r19.5's on it right now. The duals fit fine, with no spacing problems. Feeling a little better about my tire situation and thankful that I don't have to buy 8!
As for the wiper motor -
Our RV is at Cummins for the next week getting the genny worked on. We actually have the original owner's manual and the Chevy manual as well. Both books are in the glove-compartment of the RV. I know it doesn't help you now, but I'll look it up when we get the RV back and get back with you on that info.
I'd love to see pictures of yours and how it differs from ours. We have the Alumalite as well, but it's also called the Presidential model. How long have you owned your '88? We just bought ours last month from the original owner and are super excited to go on our first trip next month...after we get everything in good working order. It had sat for the last 10 years...
88Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought the Road Masters for my 2000 Allegro Bay. Only time will tell on them lasting but I love the ride. Lots of negative thoughts on here but to each his own. I have TPMS and am religious about MH maintenance.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Be glad (very, very glad) you aren't replacing 22.5's. Our fronts were over $600 each!

That said I don't trust my life and my wife's to anything but Michelins.
We just bought a set of 6 Michelins - 235/80R22.5 - for our RV. Total cost out the door was $3000 through the Tire Connection - Michelin Advantage Program program.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires