Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Oh, and an electric blanket is nice too.
DON'T try your electric blanket on your MSW inverter! It fries the controls. Happened to a friend (lloydu on the forum) and also reported by others here on the forum too. Due to this we've never tried ours!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #16

Having tried different heater over the years. How the heat feels to your/my body is important to how efficient it is for comfort. I have finally settled on a infrared heater from Walmart. It is quiet. Has a digital readout and remote. They do not seem to take humidity out of the air like ceramic heaters do. The cabinet is cool to touch. Only place that heat is felt is at front opening. It does need more space than some of the smaller heaters. I have 2 complaints. The LED display is bright and heat outlet glows orange. If you do not mind these 2 items a great heater.

2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will make it easy for you.. In an electrical system all losses are expressed as HEAT, thus all electric heaters are precisely 100% efficient.

NO difference.. Now some (Radiant) may make you feel waremer faster bu tin truth, only the side facing the fire as it were.

ALL of them, exactly the same effiency, NO difference, no matter what anyone says.

If it shines... Light is converted to heat when it encounters somehting dark

If it blows,, Friction of movement of the air becomes heat

IT is all heat, You get the exact same amount of heat from one 1500 watt heater as you do another, Always, they can not be less (or more) than 100% efficient.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies and info. From reading all the manufacturer hype I thought If I went with a radiant vs a ceramic I could use less electric thus saving a buck or two on usage.
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #19
After reading up on this subject there is another type you may consider. A convection heater.
Here is a link that you may informative.

Also the word efficient is misleading. Efficiency relates to what the equipment is doing with the energy put in.
All heaters are 100% efficient but it may not put out the type of heat you are wanting.
If the fan is too strong then not as much heat will be felt. Or if the radiant heater is not shaped right you will not feel as warm through out your RV.
The Internet has a world of knowledge.
Buy one and if you don't like it, take it back and buy something else.
Good luck.

2013 Georgetown XL 378

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Georgetown XL378
1 wife; 1 Lab; 1 Sheltie
1 life, enjoy it!
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #20
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Looking for suggestions on the most effective and cost savings to run electric heater for my motor home. Anyone have one they use that is cost efficient?? I'll be using it in the front larger area of the mh.
Whatever electric heater you use, probably the greatest impact on providing efficient warmth to the front of a motorhome is to better insulate the windows - especially the windshield and other single pane glass.
2003 Itasca Sunrise 32v F53
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
We use a small electric heater set up front between the two seats on our class A. I also have a five inch fan that I hang up near the ceiling and directed so it blows air towards the rear of the coach. Amazing the difference!! Utilizing a ceiling fan to redirect the heat that accumulates near the ceiling is what makes the smallest heater work for comfortable heating.
The 5" fan was a salvage job contributed by a fellow camper whose electric heater quit working. I added a cord and roller switch and now it works great.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
I just changed electric heaters. I went with the Lasko.

Lasko Ceramic Heater | Lasko Products, Inc.

Here is my reasons. Manual dial thermostat. High low heat output feature. But the main, and MOST important, it comes back on to the previous settings in the event of a power loss. My last ones would not come back on after a power outage.
2008 Monaco Camelot 42 DSQ
Irondale, Alabama
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #23
Originally Posted by docj View Post
All electric heaters are essentially 100% efficient. Despite claims by some expensive heaters that they are more efficient than others the heat ANY heater outputs is just the wattage rating. Most heaters are in the 1500-1875 watts range. The fans, if any, on most heaters are so small as to use an insignificant amount of power.
X2! Can't circumvent OHM's law. 120VAC X 15A = 1,800 watts, 125VAC X 15A = 1,875 watts.
A ceramic heater is a radiant heater with a fan, and a cute name. Kinda like a convection/microwave oven, it's a 1,500W electric oven-with a fan.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #24
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a collection of Space heaters 4 all diferent.. 3 of them are mechanical thermostat and on/off switch, (Returns to service when power is restored after a loss) the 4th electronic (Shuts off if power fails and stays off) Some are ceramic, some hot wire, all forced air.

As I said, all are equally efficient, 100%, can not be anything else.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a few differing ones. The oil filled type as shown above i have found to be effective for long term more even heating of a area, such as the living area of an RV. Put a plugin inline thermostat on it for better temperature control. Heaters with fans and that are more directional in their output are good for quick warm up - direct it towards where you are sitting. If you have pets the surface temperature of a heater is a consideration.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
pasdsd 1 has the right idea. Oil filled will not start a fire. most radiant heaters have all kinds of cautions about placement, not so with oil filled.
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #27
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
DON'T try your electric blanket on your MSW inverter! It fries the controls. Happened to a friend (lloydu on the forum) and also reported by others here on the forum too. Due to this we've never tried ours!

Also use caution leaving your inverter in standby. When the power goes out in the park you wake up to the sound of your blanket controls frying & the smell of burning electrics. I learned the hard way!

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #28
FWIW you are not quite correct about fan heaters. There is a couple per cent loss in moving the air as opposed to heat loss from the motor. It is not a big deal but it is real.

Aside from that I would cycle down fan heaters not on a thermostat. There is a lot of heat stored in the heater assembly that shortens the life of the coils when just shut off. Kick the fan to low for a half minute or more to cool the core.

Oil filled do not have that problem as the oil is soaking up the heat. Their real "secret" is the large thermal mass of the oil keeps the heat from spiking high. The other side is that they take longer to heat the area.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote