Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

I am curious why you think this would be better than a good multimeter. For what one of these costs you can buy a decent FLUKE VOM and do the same things plus current readings. Is there something about this unit I am not seeing. ?
You can check for power, ground and measure voltage. It also has two different audible tones; one for power and a different for ground. This helps locate intermittent issues because you can attach the probe to the circuit then start wiggling wiring and connections till you hear the tone or the tone stops sounding depending on the problem at hand. Most importantly in my opinion, you can easily energize a circuit to test it. You have to use one to REALLY understand. I was recently trying to explain to a coworker why it is so good and he really didn't understand, so I let him borrow it. He is now a believer! A multimeter has it's place, but for most issues that would be in my tool box next to my lab scope. Both of which see very little action.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Funny stuff! But seriously, I carry a screwdriver kit that has various sizes flat, phillips and those pesky "square" bits necessary to work on most RV screws; a regular pliers; needle nose pliers; a pair of larger channel locks; a small and large side cutters; small and large crescent wrench; electrical wiring connector kit; roll of 16 gauge multi-strand wire; 12V circuit tester & a digital volt-ohm meter; a replacement fuse set (with the proper size fuses for your fuse panel(s)); standard (and/or metric is your coach has metric size bolts) socket wrench set; duct tape; small hack saw; AND A BFH!!!

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The one I need the most is the one I don't have in the tool bag.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
I never hit the road without my henway. Eddie Elk.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everything

I carry tools for automotive, woodworking, electrical, electronic, and plumbing. A small electric driver kit as well as a big one. All sorts of driver bits and several drill bits. 2 rolls of duct tape, electricians tape, wire, distilled water, spares for the things that usually get left behind. All the schematics and manuals for the coach and everything in it. a small assortment of hammers ranging from LFH to MFH. (I've never needed a BFH)

About the only thing I don't carry is a lug nut wrench, breaker bar and a jack capable of lifting the coach. I'm not even going to attempt changing a flat tire! That's what roadside assistance and credit cards are for. (Oh my poor back!)

Oh, and a 4G hotspots for getting to this forum.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
Funny stuff! But seriously, I carry a screwdriver kit that has various sizes flat, phillips and those pesky "square" bits necessary to work on most RV screws; a regular pliers; needle nose pliers; a pair of larger channel locks; a small and large side cutters; small and large crescent wrench; electrical wiring connector kit; roll of 16 gauge multi-strand wire; 12V circuit tester & a digital volt-ohm meter; a replacement fuse set (with the proper size fuses for your fuse panel(s)); standard (and/or metric is your coach has metric size bolts) socket wrench set; duct tape; small hack saw; AND A BFH!!!
Hey...that above is exactly what I have in my tool boxes. I have 2 boxes for tools (1 inside and 1 in an exterior bin) because I need to use the screw drivers and pliers much more often than the other stuff.

Ditto about the "square" driver...also known as the Robertson or Scrulox...Just so common in RV's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For me, my Coach-Net membership card & cell phone , although we do have an all-around, general purpose automotive kit w/a multitude of tools that I added a hammer & a roll of Duct-tape to.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
I carry about everything already posted including bailing wire and Guerrilla Tape. I did include a 24" breaker bar recently...not for the MH, but for the boat. But, the two most important devices that I would never leave home without....the credit card and the phone.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Along with the HenWay (as mentioned earlier), I carry a HammerFor and they fix most everything and don't take up much space.
For the big jobs I pull out the muffler grease, wire stretchers, and prop wash.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #38

In addition to the normal hand tools, tape, meter, etc. I carry a small tarp in case I have to lay on the ground to fix something.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
I have a cheap Harbor Freight multi meter. After reading this thread I thought it might be time to upgrade to a Fluke multi meter.... Holy cow, they are expensive!!

Mike

X2........the HFMM has been more than good for the past 11 years with cheater wire and alligator clips.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #40

My Brain
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Zip ties.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #42

Leatherman and a fluke... you can go a long way with this.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote