Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #29

Depending on where we are and where we will be going to next is how much we would travel. My normal driving range is about 250 miles max. If we stay at least 2 weeks, then we will only move twice per month.

The MA's everyone are preferring to are older than what I am looking for. I would prefer something less than 5 years old.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Check out the Newmar, Canyon Star. Pm me if you have any questions or concerns. We use our coach around 50 - 60 days a year. When traveling I try to keep my driving to only 250 - 300 miles a day. Quitting around noon each day.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #31

I have been looking at them, being they have some 4 slide models. My biggest concern is can the engine and chassis handle the weight of all this plus my stuff.

What is the CCC of your 3940?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been looking at them, being they have some 4 slide models. My biggest concern is can the engine and chassis handle the weight of all this plus my stuff.

What is the CCC of your 3940?
I have 3 slides, with the front slide being very long. My coach weighs in at a little over 23K. That was full gas ,stocked, full propane about 1/3 or less of water and one passenger. I have done the CHF and added 5 Star Tuning and Koni shocks to the front. This coach is pretty loaded up. Only thing I eliminated is the roof satellite. Elected to go to a tailgater. This is my 3rd V10, been happy with them all. My son just used this coach for the first time and he said it was the Best handling and driving coach we ever had. I tow a Honda CR-V. The CCC is 26K and the gross GCCW is 30K. The frame is a 260" wheel base for better ride and weight distribution.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I would agree with cc8375--take a look at the Canyon Star. We just traded our 1997 Mountain Aire gasser (ordered new in '97) for a '14 Canyon Star (also ordered) this winter. Keep in mind you can do quite a bit of upgrading if you order, including some things that are not on the line sheet. We opted for the GE Advantium microwave, and all pulls on all the cabinets (like our old MA had) in lieu of knobs. We also sprung for the solid wood cabinet upgrade versus the wrapped cabinets. We feel the fit and finish is as nice as our old MA--solidly made and well put together. We are not full timers however, and chose another gas model as we only use it 6-8 weeks out of a season, and don't travel big distances to basically sit for a week at a time.
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #34

I am starting to think more and more about a 39' Canyon Star for our full time rig. We don't plan on doing a whole lot of mountain driving and this was my biggest concern. The DW will have to approve the interior storage and looks. I am sure the CS would have more exterior storage than the Newmar diesel rigs due to the size of the engine itself. We would have to upgrade up the interior some to satisfy here. A four slide would be preferred, so I would have to check out the CCC of them. I can do some of the work on the gas rigs, where I cannot do anything on a diesel. Being $50,000+ cheaper is also a plus.

I do wish the gas rig had the Comfort Steer system though!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am starting to think more and more about a 39' Canyon Star for our full time rig. We don't plan on doing a whole lot of mountain driving and this was my biggest concern. The DW will have to approve the interior storage and looks. I am sure the CS would have more exterior storage than the Newmar diesel rigs due to the size of the engine itself. We would have to upgrade up the interior some to satisfy here. A four slide would be preferred, so I would have to check out the CCC of them. I can do some of the work on the gas rigs, where I cannot do anything on a diesel. Being $50,000+ cheaper is also a plus.

I do wish the gas rig had the Comfort Steer system though!!!
Okay, you are pushing' 40'. 4 slides, upgrades, CCC. I have no dog in this at all…your money. Pursue all those things and forget about the fuel the engine uses. Find floor plan you like, see if you like the idea of Aqua-Hot and the luxury of endless hot water, or Air leveling with no jacks to get stuck. CCC, want 3,4,5 or 6 thousand pounds? Drive them. All of them. Get the one with comfort steer, if you want. If you can do some of the gas maintenance you can do some of the diesel maintenance. BTW, you do get something for the extra money you spend. IMHO
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #36

I will most likely do what a fellow camper told me to do yesterday. He gets on this forums sometimes, so he will know who I am talking about. His suggestion was to take my time and when I find the right rig buy it. If the timing was right there is a used Phaeton 40QTH for sale right now that would fit us great feature and price wise. But I can almost guarantee it will be gone by the time we sell the S&B. We are prepared to stay fulltime in our current rig as long as we need to find our next rig.

I am the type of person that I always want the latest and greatest of whatever I buy. This is why I have a lot of expensive audio/video equipment I need to sell that I will never get what I paid for it.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
edgray,

Canyon Star is not top of the line Newmar. It is second from the bottom. I think Mountain Aire is the top of the line Newmar.

I agree with GRTHarris about the Winnebago Adventuer 35P which IS the top of the line Winnebago Gasser. We spent 3 months in ours this past winter and really enjoyed it including the washer and dryer and sleep number bed.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas