Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Looks like my mind is made up and Mac is gonna get some of my business.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #44

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Glad your all safe and the MH didn't go up in flames. I guess it's fortuitous for all that you happen to be a retired fire captain and knew what to do! I have a fire extinguisher in my rig - this is a good reminder to check to make sure it hasn't expired.
craig.sayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #45

I have 10# Halotron (replaces the Holons) by my entrance door, as my first responce. I have the 5# powder all over for the last to use.
The Halotron is made by American Corp

Jim
37’ Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31549 /tag
Oregon NW Coast
Jstoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post

I had been meaning to upgrade the fire bottle. Now I will, and I am going to install a halon system in the engine compartment with an alert system for the dash. I am fairly certain that had I done so in the first place damage would have been negligible and I would be on the road in a few days. As it was, the fire had time to do damage and the Dry chem I dumped in there needs to be removed thoroughly or else more problems down the road.

I am thankful for saving the rig. Not sure how much yet....
When you do talk to Mac, he will NOT recommend any Halon for the engine compartment. His recommendation with be a large size bottle of AFFF with either a fixed head or a remote head.

Halon is only good in a small confined compartment.

Get with Mac and he will give you the best information for protecting various areas of your coach.

I had a long talk with him back in 2010 prior to hitting the road on my lifelong journey.

I installed the 3 liter S-200 AFFF with remote head in my engine compartment, Halon in my NotSoCold fridge compartment which has been reallocated to the Inverter compartment when I converted to residential fridge. I have another Halon in my Aqua-Hot compartment. A 1 liter Cold Fire handheld near the front exit, various small handheld Cold Fire in the coach and car. I plan to get a 1.5 gallon SS-400 AFFF portable from Mac where I can mix my own solution and have it recharged myself. I will use that at the entry way and then reallocate the Cold Fire one someplace else.

Do not delay in talking with Mac. He will give you the straight scoop.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #47

Heal quick!
We have 2 X 5lbs & 1 X 2 1/2 lbs extinguishers on board.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstoney View Post
I have 10# Halotron (replaces the Holons) by my entrance door, as my first responce. I have the 5# powder all over for the last to use.
The Halotron is made by American Corp

Jim
That's a good setup.....
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
So, here I am. Sitting in my rig at the Olive Ave. RV Park in Vista, CA. finalizing this post. This was my original destination when the breakdown occurred. The park owners graciously waived my cancellation penalties when I called after the fire that I just had to finish my original commitment to stay on their property. It is a nice new park located 20 minutes from Legoland. Rates are reasonable. Check them out. One little quirk are that the concrete pads are uneven fore and aft. The provide some nice blocks to raise the low end up.

It has been a long two months. The fire had time to do some significant damage. All of it contained in the engine compartment. Earlier detection would have saved time and money. I am planning on adding a detection system. Suppression will be through the use of a clean agent backed up by a dry powder. Two thirds of repair costs are labor hours. I have yet to see the invoice as a few things still need to be done between Cummins and National General. The biggie was replacing two 60 foot A/C lines running from the A/C compressor attached to the motor and run to the front of coach.

I spent today (pickup appointment) at Cummins while they sent it out to get the A/C system charged. (Final item on punch list) It came back from Kenworth with a leak that will need to be fixed before it can be charged. It will take an extra day or so to fix. We needing to get back north as we are moving into this full time. I have the coach now with no A/C coming from the dash with a drive north during a central valley heat wave. We will arrange with Cummins Pacific in West Sacramento, my home shop, to finish up the work order and fix the leak. A little inconvenient but a workable solution.

This final part of the journey has been difficult. The cumulative stress from this and other issues has been like a wet blanket. Hopefully, thinks will get better from here.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and well wishes. It helps to keep me connected to this new adventure we are trying to embark on. Or, are we already on it?
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff,

Fire up your generator and run your rooftop A/C's to cool things down inside as best as you can without the dash air system working.

Glad that you can see a light at the end of a long dark tunnel.

The very BEST early detection devices are Smoke/Fire Alarms that are interconnected so that if one goes off it can be heard by all of them.

However, I haven't quite figured out if that ever happened, lets say you have four units placed in different locations inside and outside the coach how do you quickly determine which location is the problem?

Good luck and safe travels going forward.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #51

I bought a 2014 Newmar Ventana and within 2 months I bought a automatic foam system for the engine compartment from Mac. It is a rear radiator and there isn't even a place I could stick a fire extinguisher hose in to squirt let alone look see any sort of leaks or other issues. Peace of mind... Priceless... Ted