Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some motor home manufacturers mount bus style mirrors up front for you to see the image through the front windown, some look like they are hanging down from close to the roof line, and other manufacturers mount their mirrors by the side driver's and passenger side window. Which way or style do you prefer and why? Bagman57.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some motor home manufacturers mount bus style mirrors up front for you to see the image through the front windown, some look like they are hanging down from close to the roof line, and other manufacturers mount their mirrors by the side driver's and passenger side window. Which way or style do you prefer and why? Bagman57.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
They all provide good rear vision. The big difference I've seen is the bus type mounted in the front will put big knots on your forehead.
The ones hanging from the roof line you can walk under without banging your koggin.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #4

The front mounted will depending on the height pick on your head if you are tall enough. But I like them because I can reach them to clean when I let the air out of the suspension and they have no blind spots.

The top-front mounted I have heard from some owners have serious blind spots due to the dark tinted top of the windshield.

The side mounted I don't really like because I have to turn my head to look in them and this takes one eyes from the road ahead. AT least this was the case on the ones I test drove.

I guess all have positives and negatives. Just what you get used to as to what you like.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

My only issue is glare with the driver's side mirror when the sun is coming from the curb side of the coach and shining across the front of the coach toward that mirror...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've got the front mounted mirrors with the lower arms. I never had any issues knocking my head on them and I'm 6'. I sure do get up from the pedestal or water spigot area often enough and nail my back on the bedroom slide though.

I did have a glare issue at first on the chrome arms that hold the mirrors out there. The arms were somewhat square with rounded edges and the flat top would catch the mid-day sun and reflect it back at me like a mirror. I masked off that area and sprayed a little satin flat black paint on it, like the nose of a P51 Mustang and the glare went away. The overhead arms may be a good thing but my personal preference is that they look too much like insect antenna.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:14 AM   #7

I've had both the bus style bottom front mount and the side mount and the bus style wins for me.

With the side mounts on my Adventurer if the front passenger uses the slide out tray it blocks the passenger side view. Using that mirror requires one to take their eyes off the road and look to the side. On the driver side it is a little better but one has to divert more attention to looking at the mirror then I would prefer.

On my 95 Vectra with the bus style bottom front mount mirrors my attention was always ahead and just a slight glance left or right was all that was required. What the front passenger was doing had no effect unless they decided to sit on the dash board which never happened.

If it were not for the near $500 cost per mirror I would seriously consider getting a pair of the bus style mirrors for my coach.

Regards,
Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 AM   #8

I had the top mounted ones on the coach, after driving it for a week straight had them changed to front mount, too many blind spots with top mounted ones.

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've had both front mounted (low) and side mounted (high) and the next rig will definitely have front mounted mirrors. My current high side mounts leave blind spots even though it is a triple mirror stack and I really dislike having to turn my head well to the side to see either mirror. I even modified my side mounts to tilt the mirror assembly a bit to get rid of the worst of the blind spots, but some of that problem was because the installer had not allowed for somebody of average height (I'm 5'9") and placed the mirror such that it could not adjust low enough for me. Somebody 6' or more would likely have been more-or-less OK.

My personal preference is to have the mirror out front in my field of view while driving.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I changed my front mounts to side mounts because of windshield pillar post on drivers side that made it impossible to adjust that mirror so that I could see it without having to bend to right and look around post. Right side was fine. I am 6 ft, and the coach is an Allegro Open Road 2004 year model.

Dieselclacker
Old 09-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I drove a top mount once and found it uncomfortable and unnatural to look up into the mirrors. Can't say anything about the front mount since I have side mounts, and like them.

W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote