RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Motor Home speed in California

Traveling in California for grandsons wedding and the towing speed limit is 55 for towing. Is there a grace limit speed? In Texas I usually travel at 4 over and have never got a ticket.

LakeBwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeBwd View Post
Traveling in California for grandsons wedding and the towing speed limit is 55 for towing. Is there a grace limit speed? In Texas I usually travel at 4 over and have never got a ticket.
We stay at 60 without issue.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeBwd View Post
Legally when towing, 55 is the speed limit. Sadly, from first hand observation, the big rigs are doing as fast as traffic will let them and then sometimes that doesn't even matter. On the busy freeways, enforcement is almost non-existent in SoCal. I personally believe in the old fashioned "safety first" mentality and only drive the speeds I feel comfortable with for conditions. Gusty winds, for example, I have driven 45 mph and have fifth wheels pass me doing 75 plus.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I run with the trucks. If they’re doing 60 to 62 or so I stay with them. If they’re doing 55 I slow down and join them. It usually means there’s a CHP around.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #5

In California

STOP Sign means 'slow down & roll on thru'
Yield Sign means 'I was here first'
Merge Sign means 'YOU have to let me in'
No Right Turn on RED means 'only if you don't see any other traffic'
No U-Turn means 'OK if no one sees'
Speed Limit Sign means 'This is just a suggestion'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #6

I usually run around 62/65 with no problems. If your not being stupid then CHP usually leave you alone.
Jpiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #7

[moderator edit]

I get the impression you're not a fan of the Golden State.

Regardless, I too try and run with the trucks.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
I get the impression you're not a fan of the Golden State.

Regardless, I too try and run with the trucks.
I am dumbstruck when I see a big rig truck rolling at 65 or less. Most are doing 75 and sometimes 80. The legal limit for them here is still 55.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
I am dumbstruck when I see a big rig truck rolling at 65 or less. Most are doing 75 and sometimes 80. The legal limit for them here is still 55.
You should drive on I 80 in Nebraska, they roll as fast as their engines will pull them.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #10

Well, that paints a pretty picture of our Golden State. I've lived here for 75 years and never had those issues, of course I don't generally drive the MH through the city streets and have never had any issue on any highway.

That said, I tow all the time and keep it around 58-60 for better mileage and comfort. Trucks pass often but I try to be curteous and let them pass or merge back in as needed. Generally they're not going much faster than that anyway.
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
You should drive on I 80 in Nebraska, they roll as fast as their engines will pull them.
Yep, I've been there. Just does not compare to the speed of the trucks, fifth wheels, trucks pulling boats, travel trailers, etc., seeing who can get to 80 mph the fastest and longest.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybb View Post
Well, that paints a pretty picture of our Golden State. I've lived here for 75 years and never had those issues, of course I don't generally drive the MH through the city streets and have never had any issue on any highway.

That said, I tow all the time and keep it around 58-60 for better mileage and comfort. Trucks pass often but I try to be curteous and let them pass or merge back in as needed. Generally they're not going much faster than that anyway.
Come drive the I-10 through the Inland Empire. It will open your eyes.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A retired CHP officer told me to merge in with the trucks and run their speed, usually 60 to 62. I have never seen any semi running much over 65 in CA. I see a lot of cars, pick ups, and MH's towing doing 65 plus.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just so it is written...California is like several different states in one - 780miles, Oregon to Mexico, so there is really no hard rules outside the basic laws.

Speeds are dependant on conditions and running 55 mph in many places put you at risk of blocking traffic.

A general allowance about speed above the limit is to stay with traffic. Big rigs/commercial drivers are not a good example. They are limited to 55, but run with the auto traffic...often well over 65.

Also please notice in CA law, the right-most lane is NOT always your required lane. When there are 3 or more lanes in one direction, towing vehicles may drive in the lane adjacent to the right-most lane to allow merging/exiting vehicles to passee in the right-most lane.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california