Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Motor home storage

I am new to this forum hope I manage this correctly. My question is while a motorhome is in storage is it recommended to put level jacks down and take the pressure of the tires or not.
Thanks
TVDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

I am sure that you will enjoy this forum, because it is World Class

NOT would be my choice, but I suppose it would depend on the length of time you store your RV.

If we are talking more than 2 or 3 weeks, I would not engage the jacks. We have hydraulic jacks and I wouldn't want to depend on the hydraulic system to support the RV for any extended time period. Maybe I am "a chicken" when it comes to this, but I have more confidence in my tires than I have to my jacks.

I have been told that if I park "long term" on a paved area (black top) I should put a piece of wood under my tires. So far I have only been parking on gravel (up to 6 month at a time) and I have had no tire problems relating to that. I have had tire problems, but that is a completely different story

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

I always put the stabilizer or level jacks down in my Discovery to make the coach more stable when walking around in it during checks.

Here are good websites with some great information for RV Tires.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/... <br /> <br />https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We have Power Gear jacks on our Discovery. I use them to take about 80% of the weight off the tires during our indoor winter storage. They have no issues with using them for long term storage. Power Gear only advises to check the lubrication on the jacks once every two weeks or once a week if stored outside. They recommended that the jacks lubrication be check even more often if your close to salt water. You didn't identify the brand of jacks you have but I would check with them and find out what their recommendations are.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
csrrsr do you mean to lubricate the piston that is extended? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
csrrsr do you mean to lubricate the piston that is extended? deSanford
Yes...sorry I didn't explain that very well.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #7

We have kick down jacks and with a block under them the coach will come to rest on them when the air bleeds out of the bags.

No pressure on anything but bolts.

Only weight on tires is the unsprung weight of the axles

Yours may be different
Old 01-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Put the jacks down, that's why they are there. I clean and lube them prior to retraction.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

In my case - I don't do it. If a jack or two bleeds out and the other one or two hold and you are not around to see it...you may end up with a twisted chassis and windshield problems....just a thought.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
In my case - I don't do it. If a jack or two bleeds out and the other one or two hold and you are not around to see it...you may end up with a twisted chassis and windshield problems....just a thought.
Yes, but that can happen anytime (although I know of no one that's happened to)....using it or storing it. Like the old adage..*@#* happens!! I say use your jacks (following your jack mfg recommendations)...that's what they are for.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't extend the jacks for storage. Like said above, the machined surface of the shart would be exposed for long periods of time.

I have the RV in a very large RV lot (over 800 spots) and can see those with their jacks down...the shafts get visible surface corrosion and, a few have lost pressure, causing the RV to lean over the slack jack...no thanks.

Tires on a plywood sheet and covers to fight UV damage is best - for me.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't some folks do.

This is a good place to flip a coin. Heads yes or tails no, or vice versa.

If the manufacturer recommends jacks down then that is a good guide if not then do what pleases you.

My jacks stay down when we are seasonal for three months at RV resorts, so storing for three months would be little difference except that I am not around most of the time when it is stored.

For the record I use my MH half the year and store half the year. Down when I am around and up when not. My tires and jacks have not suffered any ill effects from this routine. I do follow all reasonable recommendations for care of tires and jacks.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
I use the jacks always when parked or stored. Putting a load on them keeps lip seals in good condition. If you are getting corrosion on pistons, your hardchrome plating has failed or you jacks do not have it.

When extended, I clean off the mushroom feet and lube the pistons with WD40 to keep the seals clean.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #14

This is from the HWH Website, Frequently Asked Questions.

Vehicle Storage Information Concerning HWH Equipment

53. Can I store my coach with my jacks extended?
Yes, this will not hurt the system.

54. How long can I leave my coach parked with the jacks extended?
As long as you want. We recommend operating the system occasionally if possible.

55. Do I need to do any maintenance on the jacks or rooms while the vehicle is parked with the jacks and rooms extended?
There is no necessary maintenance for the jacks or rooms while the vehicle is parked. If desired, WD-40 can be used on the jack rods right before storing the jacks if dirt has collected on the rods. Refer to the following link for jack maintenance information http://www.hwh.com/ml47149.pdf.

56. If I’m parked for a month or two, should I occasionally operate my system?
Yes, it is good to operate the system occasionally but it is not required.

Tags
storage