Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I'd also recommend that you get some other bids. Yes, to me, that seems like too much for labor. As others have said, you might try a Cummins authorized shop or an independent shop that has a good reputation.

When you said that your estimate is from "R & $ RV" (yes, that seems an appropriate name, LOL), might you be referring to "R'nR RV" the huge dealership in the Spokane area? ...THIS ONE? If so, that's probably an appropriate misspelling and kind of ingenious that you described their name in that manner.

Yes, I believe that if it is R'NR, you will be paying much more as opposed to going to a Cummins authorized service center and especially if using a good independent shop.

I know that the "Total Truck Shop" has a good reputation in the Spokane area and I would almost bet could do the same job faster and for a lower price. Their shop labor rate is $95/hr. ...go HERE for their webpage and contact information. I'm not sure if they still are willing to work on RVs or not but you can at least inquire.

It wouldn't hurt to contact them and a few other shops before you have the work done.
Did you notice that I said the motor replacement was one of the "solved problems"? That means that the damage has already been done! I was taking it to a place on Westbow Rd but got kicked out when they figured it out that the motorhome was over 10 years old. In the future (if necessary) I'll check out the Total Truck Shop. I'd not heard of it before. I live ~200 miles away so don't normally keep in tune with businesses in the Spokane area. I'll have to upgrade my research in the future.
thebunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #16

As you said, the job is history and it doesn't matter if it was a fair price or not. If they did a complete good job, then you have a 97 Discovery with a new engine. That's a good thing if you like the coach. I had a 96 model with the same engine. It had delamination problems, but was still a comfortable unit to drive and although it was only 230 hp, it took us where we wanted to go. Just enjoy what you have and don't look back.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Don't know about others here, but I would be interested in learning how you came to the decision to put $18k into an engine rebuild/replacement for a '97 coach. In no way am I criticizing your decision. Others are, or will be, making this decision and it would be helpful to have this insight.
I'm practically 80 years old and am attempting to salvage the old gal! I decided that the ~$25,000 I'm spending (that's about all I've got) will do better on a coach that I'm familiar with as opposed to another one that I could buy into with possibly some of the same problems. I am very familiar with this one and am confident that when it comes out of the shop I'll hopefully be able to run it until I'm unable to. The repair list it went into the shop with had 14 items on it, including roof repair, jacks hyd. line replacement, new air compressor, motor a/c squeal fix, etc. Good or bad, when I get it back I'll know what condition it's in!
thebunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunns View Post
I'm practically 80 years old and am attempting to salvage the old gal! I decided that the ~$25,000 I'm spending (that's about all I've got) will do better on a coach that I'm familiar with as opposed to another one that I could buy into with possibly some of the same problems. I am very familiar with this one and am confident that when it comes out of the shop I'll hopefully be able to run it until I'm unable to. The repair list it went into the shop with had 14 items on it, including roof repair, jacks hyd. line replacement, new air compressor, motor a/c squeal fix, etc. Good or bad, when I get it back I'll know what condition it's in!

Almost 80 and still rolling down the road! I hope to do as well.

Thanks for sharing your thought process in spending the dough to fix the old gal. That is an impressive list. She should be good for many more miles and smiles. May your winds be tail winds.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunns View Post
Did you notice that I said the motor replacement was one of the "solved problems"? That means that the damage has already been done! I was taking it to a place on Westbow Rd but got kicked out when they figured it out that the motorhome was over 10 years old. In the future (if necessary) I'll check out the Total Truck Shop. I'd not heard of it before. I live ~200 miles away so don't normally keep in tune with businesses in the Spokane area. I'll have to upgrade my research in the future.
My apologies. I've been misreading too many posts lately which does indeed make me look foolish and I'm going to force myself to again take a break from posting anything on the forum. I'm getting up there in age too and my faculties, both mentally and physically, are quickly eroding.

I applaud you for what you are doing. Since I now know you've already had the work done, it is what it is. If you're attempting to get opinions on whether to have work done at that shop again or if you may have been overcharged, my vote would be no and probably.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement