Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
I currently have a hydra lift installed on a tag axel country coach and have hauled our Harley all over the us as we are full timers. The only negative is the bike will get dirty if weather is bad but since we try to ovoid traveling in inclement weather that is rarely a problem. The hydra lift is simple to use and has proven to be bullet proof so far. With our setup I really cannot tell a difference in the way the coach rides with or without the bike. Just do your homework and make sure you have the carrying capacity. I have heard that it can cause severe porposing if your coach does not have the carrying capacity. I believe the tag axel coaches are better suited for this type of load although their are a lot of non-tags using them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #44

Lifts

I want to thank everyone for all the helpful input. After looking at all the carriers and reading all the suggestions and getting the coach weighed I find that it will put me over weight on the rear axle. So, I am going to sell the Goldwing and have fun with all the other things to do along the way.
Thanks Again
Dan

Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Biker down... Biker down.....

Sorry to hear that. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 12 and I've never not owned a bike.

Best of luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
I too have thought about horse trailers, light weight, ton of room and low to the ground.

However I got word back from Mighty Hauler today. A unit to carry my Goldwing, extras like running boards, extra hold downs, heavy duty wheel chock and 3 point hitch, with shipping came to just over $1600, probably will be over $1700 before Im done......... Im thinking of ordering one.
had one installed last fall and like it so far. We went with the electric pump and wheel chock as options. I had them install it at their facility in Ohio, took them about 4 1/2 hours for the install.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #47

Think I'd sell m/h before i get rid of bike. Been riding all my life since i was 10yrs old now 65. My wife would leave me i'd believe. We love the M/H but we really love the bike.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Dan,

If your HR has a rear radiator you need to read your owners manual where it states not to attach anything behind the coach. They show an example of a motorcycle lift of what not to do.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #49

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMOONEY View Post
I want to thank everyone for all the helpful input. After looking at all the carriers and reading all the suggestions and getting the coach weighed I find that it will put me over weight on the rear axle. So, I am going to sell the Goldwing and have fun with all the other things to do along the way.
Thanks Again
Dan
Sell the Goldwing? I'm shocked! There will be so many beautiful places to ride, especially on a Goldwing. One of the major reasons for our upgrade to a DP last year was so we could bring along more toys. It was heartbreaking to have to pass them by in our last class A.

However I am sure you have given it much thought, received plenty of good advice and it's your decision to make anyway. The best of luck to you and yours during your travels. Stay safe my friend...
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #50

Thanks, say windy diablo, do you find it difficult to deal with the trailer at some parks.? What do you do if they don't have a place for the dolly?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #51

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, say windy diablo, do you find it difficult to deal with the trailer at some parks.? What do you do if they don't have a place for the dolly?
Not really... I just look for pull throughs or large sites when booking. Many campgronds have an area for parking trailers and dollies as well if the space can't accomodate the rig and trailer, such as Lazy Days, which packs you in like a sardine. When I first bought it I figured I would have some issues, but that hasn't been the case so far. I have never been turned away or not been able to go to the campground of my choosing because of the trailer.
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
we put this lift on our Journey a few months ago ...... like it so far.

Mighty Hauler - Premier manufacturer of rear hitch carriers
Hi Brother,
Love the avatar, was wondering how long your RV is and if you have traveled with the lift and the bike yet? I have had several bikes that I usually haul in the back of my silverado with a loader hauler. I am thinking on buying a jeep, so this hauler might be my ticket to get accross the country. I want to haul a harley trike or a can-am spyder, not sure yet. What do you think?
Bill O.
06 Endeavor
Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclewis49 View Post
I currently have a hydra lift installed on a tag axel country coach and have hauled our Harley all over the us as we are full timers. The only negative is the bike will get dirty if weather is bad but since we try to ovoid traveling in inclement weather that is rarely a problem. The hydra lift is simple to use and has proven to be bullet proof so far. With our setup I really cannot tell a difference in the way the coach rides with or without the bike. Just do your homework and make sure you have the carrying capacity. I have heard that it can cause severe porposing if your coach does not have the carrying capacity. I believe the tag axel coaches are better suited for this type of load although their are a lot of non-tags using them.
I Installed a Hydra Lift on my 2003 Fleetwood Revolution I installed it myself and I use it often I Tow my enclosed trailer from it when not using the lift all the time, I like the fact it never drags and I need no ramp to load it. Also like the fact that I can take it to most RV parks and Not worry about turning around or unhooking, any thing.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #54

Motorcycle lifts

My coach is only 36 ft and if I did the math correctly if I put a lift on it will put 2200 lds on the rear axle. Got my coach weighed and this would put me about 450 lbs over gross on the rear axle the way we have the coach loaded. Ay thought?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My coach is only 36 ft and if I did the math correctly if I put a lift on it will put 2200 lds on the rear axle. Got my coach weighed and this would put me about 450 lbs over gross on the rear axle the way we have the coach loaded. Ay thought?
Similar situation here...Rear axle weight = 10,840; RAWR = 12,000. Looks like a lift is not an option for me either.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #56

I love my trailer! 32' coach and 16' ATC trailer. Keeps everything clean, dry and provides addition storage. BTW, while I have ridden a motorcycle since I was 15, I now have an electric car (Ford Think) which has worked out just fine.