Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I just looked at a photo of that carrier and can't understand why they didn't make the ramp the same length as the carrier. If raising the front of the coach does not help enough, I would bolt/weld 2 pieces of angle iron on ramp and extend the ramp length another 18 inches or so. I made my whole carrier out of angle iron. There is a gap between the 2 pieces for the tray, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Hrmm...the ramp is pretty much the length of the carrier, it's just that the hitch height on the Southwind is 29" I agree that using the front jacks to lower the rear end likely wouldn't accomplish much so it appears the solution will be to buy a pair of those synthetic car ramps for oil changes etc and just use one and let the end of the ramp sit on it to lessen the grade. The bike isn't that heavy so I could also just build something light out of wood to have the same result.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #16

At home we always pull up our MH aside of the curb to load the bike of which greatly decreases the incline. Unloading never seems to be as big of problem. When loading back up again when on the road we always load the bike last. If we can't find a conducive spot in the campground that reduces the steepness I follow the DH down the road until we find a spot. Usually a shopping center...
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #17

I installed a 4" drop bar to lower the high hitch on my 2013 Sunova. Then I lower the front jacks, that lowers the rear end when loading/unloading. The angle of the ramp is manageable. I also have the Versa Haul and tow a 400 lb scooter.
Rvbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvbiker View Post
I installed a 4" drop bar to lower the high hitch on my 2013 Sunova. Then I lower the front jacks, that lowers the rear end when loading/unloading. The angle of the ramp is manageable. I also have the Versa Haul and tow a 400 lb scooter.
Got a pic of the set up with the ramp attached so I can see the grade?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #19

I have the RV in Fla and the ramp in GA, we towed a car down this trip. Would be happy to in a few weeks. I also have a 10" drop bar that lowers it even more but cut down too much on my clearance, more than I liked. The longer the drop down bar the less your vertical weight rating.
Rvbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvbiker View Post
I have the RV in Fla and the ramp in GA, we towed a car down this trip. Would be happy to in a few weeks. I also have a 10" drop bar that lowers it even more but cut down too much on my clearance, more than I liked. The longer the drop down bar the less your vertical weight rating.
The drop bar also sets the whole carrier back too...
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #21

I'm heavily involved with Dualsport motorcycling here in So Cal. I've had every type of carrier for recievers. Currently I have a 2 bike rail carrier and an Ultimate Hauler or as it's also known a Moto-jak rack.
I'd sell the Versa, an excellent piece of equipment but not practical. The Ultimate lifts the bike up and away with easy one person loading. I'll never give up my Moto-jack rack.
Used on Craigslist they run 150-250 used. Don't buy cheap imitations because the quality is often lacking.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post

These types of carriers can be augmented with an additional support bar welded to the frame on either side of the hitch (they slide into their own receiver) which raises the weight to 1000.
Thanks for that welding info... Is there any problem with that (up to 1000lb.) weight on the frame of the coach itself? I know you can make the carrier support 1000 lbs...but will the frame support the carrier and load without distorting the frame & possibly torquing it so slideouts etc. get messed up? Do you know anyone who has done this?
I'm trying to carry 2 bikes totaling about 700 lbs. with carrier.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Thanks for that welding info... Is there any problem with that (up to 1000lb.) weight on the frame of the coach itself? I know you can make the carrier support 1000 lbs...but will the frame support the carrier and load without distorting the frame & possibly torquing it so slideouts etc. get messed up? Do you know anyone who has done this?
I'm trying to carry 2 bikes totaling about 700 lbs. with carrier.
There was a fellow on this forum that did the weld with a Blue Ox MC carrier. If I had decided to go that route I think a call to the coach manufacturer would clear up that issue.

Two bikes...hrmm there's going to be some set back too. I know with my Versahaul with one bike the carrier is about 36" at least back of the coach. Now depending on how high your hitch is off the ground, you may want a drop hitch on it which will set your carrier back even further.

I'm assuming these are smaller dual sport/dirt bikes?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #24

Scooters actually...one heavier than the other....i know versahaul makes a dual tray carrier with ramp ...but would keep the lighter bike outboard. The coach mfr. was no help and told me to see a hitch guy for an answer. I've written to Ford Commercial instead and hope to have their answer which I will duly report.
I have found out that the frame tubes on all the F-53's below the top 2 have a 36'ooo lb deformity rating...top 2 have 50k.
Will have to measure the hitch height on the coach I'm looking at...but that is a good suggestion about the drop down.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #25

Hey Cam....new territory for me too. Anything I've recently mentioned is information from other very helpful people here, particularly in this thread.

I'm in learning curve mode too....