Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Motorcycle Carrier Ramp

I have a Versahaul MC hitch mounted carrier on my 07 Southwind and it's ramp results in a steep climb to put a bike on.

I'm interested in anyone else who has had to overcome this steep ramp grade with an MC hitch mounted carrier.

I have considered using one of those synthetic car ramp blocks on the ground to lessen the grade of the ramp. They're usually about 36" ish long and 10" high.

Any input is appreciated.....

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe try an aluminum ramp that has a arch or curve to it. You can have them made to size if need be.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37GT View Post
Maybe try an aluminum ramp that has a arch or curve to it. You can have them made to size if need be.
That is an option I guess but the carrier provides a ramp etc so it's a neat package. I think placing the end of the stock ramp onto a short extension etc is a more simple/cheaper/storage efficient solution.

Just thought someone else with an MC carrier on a high mounted hitch may have had other thoughts.

Thanks though....
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #4

Put the front of your coach on the jacks. That will lower your tail considerably, especially if you have much overhang.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I use a drop down hitch receiver so that lowers the bike rake about 6" and that helps a lot. Then I rest the bottom of the ramp on one or two of my leveler pads.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I have a question about motorcycle carriers. Doesn't putting a motorcycle on a hitch carrier exceed the "tongue" weight of the hitch? I know a 5000 lb hitch usually only recommends 500 lb vertical or "tongue" weight, and I would thinks even a 10000 lb hitch would only recommend 1000 or 1500 lbs max. Are you able to haul full size motorcycles on this type of carrier? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Put the front of your coach on the jacks. That will lower your tail considerably, especially if you have much overhang.
Coming from a 5th wheel I keep forgetting that I have jacks. Never even considered just raising the front ones, I'll give that a try to see if it drops the rear enough.

Thanks..
Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpointe View Post
I use a drop down hitch receiver so that lowers the bike rake about 6" and that helps a lot. Then I rest the bottom of the ramp on one or two of my leveler pads.
I have a drop down hitch that is used in conjunction with the tow bar however it put the whole carrier further back than I want.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by La.Paul View Post
I have a question about motorcycle carriers. Doesn't putting a motorcycle on a hitch carrier exceed the "tongue" weight of the hitch? I know a 5000 lb hitch usually only recommends 500 lb vertical or "tongue" weight, and I would thinks even a 10000 lb hitch would only recommend 1000 or 1500 lbs max. Are you able to haul full size motorcycles on this type of carrier? Thanks.
All of these hitch carriers have the specs of what weight of bike they'll support. That information along with the class of hitch on your coach will dictate what you can carry.

In my case the hitch has a 500 lb maximum and my carrier will support a 500 pound bike.......so taking the 90 pound weight of the carrier itself that leaves me with a maximum bike weight of 410. The KL250 dual sport I carry is 260 so I'm fine.

These types of carriers can be augmented with an additional support bar welded to the frame on either side of the hitch (they slide into their own receiver) which raises the weight to 1000.

I just wanted something small enough to roll onto the carrier and amuse me when the DW is doing other things.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

So you have a KL250. Ever seen trials riders? You shouldn't need no stinkin ramp
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
So you have a KL250. Ever seen trials riders? You shouldn't need no stinkin ramp
LOL....yes I have, but not 59 year old ones with a weak lower back!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by La.Paul View Post
You are correct, most of the carriers designed to carry full size bikes require you to change the hitch to a triple receiver type. I trailer haul my Harley until I can save up for a Cruserlift, I think this design is best for transporting bikes.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
You are correct, most of the carriers designed to carry full size bikes require you to change the hitch to a triple receiver type. I trailer haul my Harley until I can save up for a Cruserlift, I think this design is best for transporting bikes.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
See...Bill has the same set up, albeit with two additional supports for the heavier load, but in his case he can let the air out and wheel the HD off whereas I don't have the air option.....hence the steep ramp.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #14

I just looked at a photo of that carrier and can't understand why they didn't make the ramp the same length as the carrier. If raising the front of the coach does not help enough, I would bolt/weld 2 pieces of angle iron on ramp and extend the ramp length another 18 inches or so. I made my whole carrier out of angle iron. There is a gap between the 2 pieces for the tray, but it doesn't hurt anything.