Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
Fire Up is one Swell Guy,
He spent a lot of time sending me pictures and info for my Hydralift, Sad to say I still haven't got it installed, Procrastinator I have become !!!
hardint,
Wow, I surely thank you for the VERY nice comment. It's very much appreciated. Very glad I could be of some help. I personally think the Hydralift is by far, the best, most advanced, most efficient motorcycle lift/carrier on the market. I'm not affiliated with them, not in the least. I just know I did quite a bit of inspection and research on all the rest and, hands down, they're the best.

But, hands down, THEY'RE THE MOST EXPENSIVE TOO! The smart move for anyone on here that's even thinking about purchasing one to haul their bike would be to scan Craigs List, Ebay and any other source for a good used one. Many, many times, a coach is sold with a Hydralift on it and, the new owner has no intention of using it and, will sell it for way less than 1/2 the cost of a new one.

And, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong a used one. I mean, NOTHING wears out on them. Anyway, just some friendly advice here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
hardint,
Wow, I surely thank you for the VERY nice comment. It's very much appreciated. Very glad I could be of some help. I personally think the Hydralift is by far, the best, most advanced, most efficient motorcycle lift/carrier on the market. I'm not affiliated with them, not in the least. I just know I did quite a bit of inspection and research on all the rest and, hands down, they're the best.

But, hands down, THEY'RE THE MOST EXPENSIVE TOO! The smart move for anyone on here that's even thinking about purchasing one to haul their bike would be to scan Craigs List, Ebay and any other source for a good used one. Many, many times, a coach is sold with a Hydralift on it and, the new owner has no intention of using it and, will sell it for way less than 1/2 the cost of a new one.
And, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong a used one. I mean, NOTHING wears out on them. Anyway, just some friendly advice here.
Scott

Scott,
The lift is installed and it looks great. We did not have the bike to test it though but raised and lowered it several times. It is super quite.
I took your advice and had them bolt to the frame and weld the bracket to that then bolt the lift to the bracket so the whole thing is removable.
I had quick connects installed for the hydraulic lines so the whole assemble should be simple to remove.
I also had the LED lights for the back of the lift installed but can clearly foresee problems with the lack of tie downs so that will be my first item to tackle when I pick the coach up.
Thanks again for you insight,
Old 08-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #31

Lenny,
You're most certainly welcome Sir. Glad to be of assistance. Now, I don't know what kind/model of bike you're planning on hauling but, I too knew that the tie-down points that were supplied with the lift, were not the most appropriate for my particular bike. The GL 1800 Goldwing is one big piece of plastic, (in looks anyway). So, appropriate tie-down points and are definitely something I needed to address before we could even use it one time.

So, based on the way a Wing has to be tied down, I had to design and create a substructure for that lift so the Wing could be properly secured. I definitely wanted the bike to be there, at the end of the days travels. So, in the pictures you see below, you'll see what I did to accommodate this issue. It's primarily the same rectangular tubing that Hydralift used for its tie down points. Although the substructure is all welded together, I did not weld it onto the Hydralift itself.

I bolted it on for the same reasons I did for mounting the main unit to the coach. Based on the way I did it, there was no need for welding. I've welded a few thousand miles in my life and, there's just times when it isn't needed. I don't know if you'll need anything like what I did but, I'd be glad to send you a drawing of what I designed and fabricated. In the last picture, you'll see the Wing tied down and, the closest tie points in the picture, are attached to that tubing I installed, right through the floor. This gave me the proper strength and angle for the front tie downs.

It also gave me SIX tie down points. Good luck.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	105239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	105240  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	105241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	105242  

Old 08-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Lenny,
You're most certainly welcome Sir. Glad to be of assistance. Now, I don't know what kind/model of bike you're planning on hauling but, I too knew that the tie-down points that were supplied with the lift, were not the most appropriate for my particular bike. The GL 1800 Goldwing is one big piece of plastic, (in looks anyway). So, appropriate tie-down points and are definitely something I needed to address before we could even use it one time.

So, based on the way a Wing has to be tied down, I had to design and create a substructure for that lift so the Wing could be properly secured. I definitely wanted the bike to be there, at the end of the days travels. So, in the pictures you see below, you'll see what I did to accommodate this issue. It's primarily the same rectangular tubing that Hydralift used for its tie down points. Although the substructure is all welded together, I did not weld it onto the Hydralift itself.

I bolted it on for the same reasons I did for mounting the main unit to the coach. Based on the way I did it, there was no need for welding. I've welded a few thousand miles in my life and, there's just times when it isn't needed. I don't know if you'll need anything like what I did but, I'd be glad to send you a drawing of what I designed and fabricated. In the last picture, you'll see the Wing tied down and, the closest tie points in the picture, are attached to that tubing I installed, right through the floor. This gave me the proper strength and angle for the front tie downs.

It also gave me SIX tie down points. Good luck.
Scott
Scott,
I'm sure that works as nice as it looks. Did you buy the side diamond plate pieces from Hydro-Lift? I did not as I'm going to do something similar and choose to do it myself as I would like the side pieces to be slightly elevated as the bike ramp does not sit flush with the ground. Additionally, I make motorcycle chocks and would like to install mine as they are far superior in strength (base and sides are one piece steel), it's a one person loading job as it holds the bike on it's own and has a tie-down strap for the tire therefore eliminating the risk of a blown seal by compressing the forks and it's spring assisted to aid in the removal of the bike. It's designed for trailers and fifth wheels so I will have to do some cutting and welding to modify it to fit the ramp on the lift.
I have a 2014 HD Ultra Classic Limited. The weight in the bike is 960lbs so additional anchoring points is a must as far as I'm concerned.
I should have the coach back mid week so we will see.
Thanks again for sharing your talents and insights with us.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #33

Lenny,
The "Five-bar" aluminum (that's the technical name for the aluminum sheet you see. It has five bars alternating directions) that you see, is part of the floor of the garage/no-touch cover that I purchased from Hydralift but, it DID touch in several places so, I sent it back with the exception of the floor. I kept it. One of the benefits of keeping that floor was I now had an edge that I could mount the alternate LED tail lights that are needed when the bike was on the lift and, blocked the coaches tail lights from following drivers.

As we've discussed before, I used part of my Condor wheel chock system on the Hydralift and, as you know, that's captive wheel chock which, holds that 900 lb. Wing straight up after I drive it on to the lift. Now, one thing I'm not real fond of is the compressing of the forks when I tie it down but, that's what I gotta do. Now, based on what you said about "spring loaded" in that it helps you off-load the bike, that's a pretty good plus. I gotta PULL on mine to get it out of the captive chock. No biggie but, it's still a slight pain.
Scott
Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #34

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Does anyone have the installation instruction for the HyrdaLift. I cound not find it on their website.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Does anyone have the installation instruction for the HyrdaLift. I cound not find it on their website.
FlaRider,
I'll have to dig around to see if I still have mine. I thought I found them on line back when I did the install but, if you've done all the searching, I certainly could be wrong. I'll check and see what I can find for you. I suppose if need be, you could call Hydralift and, maybe have them email you a set.

I know they are very specific on what's called "cradle height". The cradles are what the main, 4" cross beam sits in. Then, 4" cradle caps are positioned on top of that beam and bolted down for a sandwiching effect. They want that cradle height at a very specific height so the lifting arms are at the appropriate angle so as to not interfere with engine and crash bar parts as the bike is loaded and un loaded. I could go on but, that's the main reason for the specifics.

I'll see what I can find.
Scott

P.S. On edit, I just went to Hydralifts site and, if you scroll to the bottom of the site, you'll see a tab that's labeled, "Installing". Click on that one and, it will lead you to some "basic" instructions. They call the cradles "saddles" which, is the same thing. So, I hope this helps some.
Scott
Old 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #36

Thanks I did see that. It looks like you have to email them to get info. I don't know why they would just up the PDF files online and save themselves the trouble of replying back.

I am looking for a used lift and I was thinking if I had the instructions it would be easier to know if I was getting all the parts.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #37

Fire, Don't worry about looking for the information. I am going to request the information from Hydralift.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Scott,
I'm sure that works as nice as it looks. Did you buy the side diamond plate pieces from Hydro-Lift? I did not as I'm going to do something similar and choose to do it myself as I would like the side pieces to be slightly elevated as the bike ramp does not sit flush with the ground. Additionally, I make motorcycle chocks and would like to install mine as they are far superior in strength (base and sides are one piece steel), it's a one person loading job as it holds the bike on it's own and has a tie-down strap for the tire therefore eliminating the risk of a blown seal by compressing the forks and it's spring assisted to aid in the removal of the bike. It's designed for trailers and fifth wheels so I will have to do some cutting and welding to modify it to fit the ramp on the lift.
I have a 2014 HD Ultra Classic Limited. The weight in the bike is 960lbs so additional anchoring points is a must as far as I'm concerned.
I should have the coach back mid week so we will see.
Thanks again for sharing your talents and insights with us.
Lenny,

Did you have a chance to load your Ultra on the lift yet? When you have a chance post some photos.

How was the installation? Was it done as you expected?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Lenny,

Did you have a chance to load your Ultra on the lift yet? When you have a chance post some photos.

How was the installation? Was it done as you expected?
Hi Scott,
The lift looks great and as far as using it, well lets say it had zero problems lifting both my daughter and myself.

North Trail still has the coach as they are preforming warranty work.
I hope to have it back this week as there are a few items I wish to address such as replacing the belt and hoses as a precaution prior to my next trip.

Posting pictures continues to be a problem. When I transfer from my phone to my computer the pictures transfer in a zoomed in format distorting them.

Lenny
Old 09-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #40

I put a hydra lift on a 2007 Itasca Horizon 40' DP. We tow a car on a Karkaddy dolly also. One problem I have is my motorcycle is a HD Ultra Classic Limited LOW. The lowered bike has clearance problems on the right side with the drivers foot rest mount and pipes with the hinge pivot point of the lifting mechanism. I have to put a section of 2x6 in the track to raise up the bike high enough for those parts to clear the right side hinge/pivot point of the lift. Makes loading and unloading a bit precarious and I find it best if the ground slopes away from the right side of the coach/lift so I can coast the bike off the lift.

I also have a 2013 Fatboy with the 200mm rear tire. Haven't measured but that might be the maximum width that will fit on the channel. The FLHTKL rear tire has maybe 1-1.5" clearance.

I'm short, 29" inseam and have a leg ground clearance issue also. I cut some sections of 2x12 that I put beside the lift as I ride on and off-load. I also have to make sure I am not leaning any to the right as I load/off-load due to the clearance of the footboard and pipes.

I purchased a trailerable cover from Geza. It's like a tight stretch girdle that doesn't flap and keeps the bike clean. Haven't driven through rain yet but it's sat outside in the rain and stays dry. It is a PIA to install, gets easier after a few times.

The bike and car are nicely in the rear view camera and the bike is solid on the lift. I use 6 ratchet straps to make sure.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I put a hydra lift on a 2007 Itasca Horizon 40' DP. We tow a car on a Karkaddy dolly also. One problem I have is my motorcycle is a HD Ultra Classic Limited LOW. The lowered bike has clearance problems on the right side with the drivers foot rest mount and pipes with the hinge pivot point of the lifting mechanism. I have to put a section of 2x6 in the track to raise up the bike high enough for those parts to clear the right side hinge/pivot point of the lift. Makes loading and unloading a bit precarious and I find it best if the ground slopes away from the right side of the coach/lift so I can coast the bike off the lift.

I also have a 2013 Fatboy with the 200mm rear tire. Haven't measured but that might be the maximum width that will fit on the channel. The FLHTKL rear tire has maybe 1-1.5" clearance.

I'm short, 29" inseam and have a leg ground clearance issue also. I cut some sections of 2x12 that I put beside the lift as I ride on and off-load. I also have to make sure I am not leaning any to the right as I load/off-load due to the clearance of the footboard and pipes.

I purchased a trailerable cover from Geza. It's like a tight stretch girdle that doesn't flap and keeps the bike clean. Haven't driven through rain yet but it's sat outside in the rain and stays dry. It is a PIA to install, gets easier after a few times.

The bike and car are nicely in the rear view camera and the bike is solid on the lift. I use 6 ratchet straps to make sure.
drwwicks,
Your clearance issues are somewhat normal. You see, the angle of the lift arms vs the tire rail, is very critical when, installing the lift onto the coach. Obviously, the lesser angle is preferred. Now, you're stating clearance issues with the actual pivot points of the lift arms and floor section? Man, that is clearance issues. And, you're remedy of installing a 2x in the rail is most likely your only cure for that situation.,

The Hydralift is, like I've always stated, the premier lift. It's the top of the line unit. But, due to the configuration of many of the cruisers/touring machines that can and will be loaded on to it, it's pretty hard to have a "one size fits all" without issues, in that kind of situation. They make a good lift, they just can't cure all the potential problems individual owners might have.

In those cases, you improvise, just like you have. When we had ours, the darn Goldwing is so wide at that low point, I had to remove my right side cruising peg for me to load the bike onto the lift. Otherwise it would run smack dab into the pivot point/lift arm you're speaking of. And, I STILL had to lean the bike a hair to the left as I finished loading it to its final resting position. Not really a big deal. I'm kind of a gorilla in terms of size (maybe brain too) so, I can handle a bit of leaning of that 900 lb. machine.

Anyway, sounds like you've conquered all your loading/off-loading issues. As long as it works, and you're happy with your procedure and, the outcome, that's all that counts.
Scott
Old 09-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post

drwwicks,

Thanks for the info. I will be in the same boat as you, I have a 2012 Limited that I lowered 1" front and back, never thought that would be a problem. do you have any pictures of your bike on the lift? Is the 2 x 6 in the track just under the rear tire to raise it up or is under both tires and you put the wheel chock on top of that.

Marc