Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
Mid Atlantic Campers
this past sunday in Horntown VA we camped next to a poor fellow who's hitch busted while carrying his metric cruiser and towing his truck. The hitch only had the single square reciever and it broke away from a center piece that was attached to an upper cross bar and then it bent the reciever all the way to the ground. There are a lot of products out there that claim they can do the job, common sense should be telling you, BUYER BEWARE. Don't try to chince on a hauling system, it will cost you much more in the long run. So far for the money, I like the blue OX system of 3 recievers, a bit complicated to install, but well worth the effort. We used to have an old saying in the hood, a $5 helmet for a $5 head, get it ?

Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
this past sunday in Horntown VA we camped next to a poor fellow who's hitch busted while carrying his metric cruiser and towing his truck.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why I put my bike in the RV!!

2009 Mandalay Presidio 38D
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Toad)
kuldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What a lot of people do not consider with a lift mounted on the hitch receiver is the amount of dynamic loading or force on the receiver. Static forces are just a small part of the stress on the hitch. When you are rolling down the road, the rig bouncing over the road, the bike is out on the end os a pendulum and trying to swing and being retained by the frame. The dynamic forces are several times the static forces. It has been a long time since I worked with the calculations for this kind of loading, but you need to be sure about hanging several hundred pounds on the end of a moment arm and accelerate it to a limit and then decelerating it many times in a minute.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
We have an 07 Essex with an Overbiltlift on the back that carries my H-D Ultra Classic. The lift is made in NY and is identical to those sold by Blue Ox. (Overbilt makes them for Blue Ox). Previous to the Essex we had the same lift on our 40' Monaco Diplomat.

When the lift is installed they remove the single receiver hitch on the coach and weld a three receiver hitch on. This reduces the static loading on the single hitch and virtually eliminates the twisting motion the hitch would otherwise see (there are multiple receivers).

When we want my DH H-D Softail Classic along also, we pull our Chevy Silverado with her bike in the bed.

Initially I worried about weight and all that until I saw an article in the Monaco publication about a coach with a bike on the back. It was our coach and my bike.
06 Millennium Prevost
15 HD Limited Low and 16 HD Triglide (DW)
13 Avalanche Black Diamond with Cruiser Caddie
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another option if money is not an obstacle is to mount a lift into a van so your bike is inside the van being towed by your motorhome. We saw such a rig about ten years ago out at Sturgis and it was a sweet outfit. The lift was custom made by a company that makes wheelchair lifts. A platform that was remote controlled was lowered to the ground, the owner would drive his bike onto the platform and strap it down. The platform also had a clamping wheel chock for the front wheel of the bike. Then the platform would lift the bike upto and then into the back door of the van! It was really neat to watch it work! The owner gave me the address and name of the manufacturer but I lost it when we decided to go the trailer route.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #20
Mid Atlantic Campers
Roadpilot, I was actually referring to Blue Ox's manual system, the one with the ramp, way lighter then the auto lift system. I just dont like all that extra weight cantalevered off the rear end.

Ken, very good explaination !!!

Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote