Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Motorcycle lift on Tiffin Open Road Gas?

I'm looking at a recent year used 33 ft Open Road. Does anyone have personal experience with a motorcycle lift on the rear? Would a gasser be able to handle the rear weight? Between the lift and bike, we are talking around 900 lbs.
RoadRunnerTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTo View Post
I'm looking at a recent year used 33 ft Open Road. Does anyone have personal experience with a motorcycle lift on the rear? Would a gasser be able to handle the rear weight? Between the lift and bike, we are talking around 900 lbs.
Rear motorcycle lifts are not recommended on any motor home without a tag axle. The only way to know for sure is to get your motor home weighed and see how close the rear axle is to maximum load. With the cantilever effect of the rear overhang, a 900lb load on the rear could translate to 1200lbs at the axle.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With a gas coach you'll run into several problems with a lift hanging off the rear.

Cruiser Lift has a lot of info that will help. Start Here - https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...ements2008.pdf

And the go here - https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...iagramrev2.pdf
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTo View Post
RoadRunnerTo,
Well Sir, I'm kind-a gonna have to agree with the other answers here for the most part. The one I don't agree with is the one about needing a Tag axle for an M/C lift. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, I installed a Hydralift on it and, we carried our '08 Honda GL 1800 that way, AND TOWED two different toads, an '04 Jeep Rubicon and an '11 Honda CRV.

We did it that way for two years and, over 8,000 miles and no one died, the moon and the sun are still rotating around the earth, we didn't lose our first born etc. All sarcasm aside, IT WORKED. But, our coach is a diesel coach and, has considerable differences in weight distribution and limits, than a 33' gas one. We had absolutely ZERO issues with our coach in that setup.

But, knowing what I know, and, the experience we've got in that kind of a setup, well Sir, I'd have to advise against it in your case. Our Goldwing tips the scales right at 900 lbs. and, the lift, hovers around 375 lbs. So, plus or minus, we carried about an extra 1,300 lbs. back there and, not only that but, it's cantilevered weight, not direct weight on the rear axle.

I have seen many, many non-tag axle coaches with M/C lifts on the back and have spoken with many of the drivers at various campsites all around. The only one I didn't get a chance to talk to had the same lift as we did, on a gas coach, about a 36' one if I recall. We (the wife and I were riding bicycles all around the park where he was camped and never saw them there) attempted to make contact many times but, never did. I really wanted to get his input on carrying a lift and M/C on a gasser.

If I were you, I'd maybe take a serious look at the Cruiser lift Tandem tote 58. Here's the link.

Fastmaster Producfts Cruiserlift/Swivelwheel Transportation

According to many, many folks I've spoken with at various campgrounds etch that have had these, they're NOT A TRAILER! They're considered an extension of the coach. If something like that unit interests you, if I were you, I'd maybe take a brochure of it to your local Motor Vehicle department and, or, maybe your local Highway Patrol of your state and get their "official" opinion and or, ask them for any form of a WRITTEN statement or section of their rules and regs, stating that particular design is, or is not, any form of a trailer.

And, you can tow with that model. That unit will take a very, very large percentage of the weight of the bike. None of the folks I spoke with that had those, had EVER been stopped by any LEO. Just some thoughts. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #5

I second the swivel trailer solution. I have a swivel trailer behind my fifth wheel and used to haul a GL1800 on it. The swivel trailer and bike weighed in at 1500 lbs, but only half the weight was carried by the rear camper frame hitch. It was doable, but get a tire monitor system, rear camera and 2 spare tires.
If you haul a swivel trailer behind a MH, there is no question anywhere about being legal. Some people claim that a swivel trailer behind a fifth wheel is considered a double haul. But I have never had any issues in 6 years full timing traveling through just about every state.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
X3 ........
In looking at pictures of a OR 33 a 900 lblift/bike will put an additional 1350+ lbs on the rear axle and take 450 off the front UNLESS you are FireUp................
No way is that rig capable of an extra 1350+lbs on the rear axle.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Doesn't it depend on how much weight is already on the axle?

How much reserve (carrying) capacity does the rear axle have?

Looking at Tiffin Open Road specs (for 34 and 32 footer. I don't see a 33 ft model) it says the rear axle weight rating is 17,500 and 15,500. So if the actual weight on the axles is 16,100 or 13,850 when coach is loaded, then bike carrier would work. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

Looking at Tiffin Open Road specs (for 34 and 32 footer. I don't see a 33 ft model) it says the rear axle weight rating is 17,500 and 15,500. So if the actual weight on the axles is 16,100 or 13,850 when coach is loaded, then bike carrier would work. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Another thing to consider is the "dynamic loads" when you drive over a bump and that carrier/bike start bouncing on back! You know what happens when you use a long lever bar to pry a rock or load. Once you start bouncing the end of the bar, something is going to give.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the question but noticed that you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
X3 ........
In looking at pictures of a OR 33 a 900 lblift/bike will put an additional 1350+ lbs on the rear axle and take 450 off the front UNLESS you are FireUp................
Apparently you can't read. I'm pretty sure I stated he shouldn't do it.
Scott
Old 10-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

Mike,
You're not misunderstanding. Calculations are just that, calculations. Unless someone actually proves, with real actual weights, before and after an operation such as the OP might be thinking about, one can burn up a few slide rules and still not have EXPERIENCE of actually having done it. You have, I have and more. When I did it, yep, I over loaded my rear axle, by almost 2,600 lbs. We did it for over 8,000 miles and two years. Guess what, my coach is still working flawlessly with zero detrimental affects.

I really don't recommend doing what I did, it's just something I did and it worked. If I had a gas unit and, knowing what I know, I'm pretty sure I'd head for the Tandem Tote 58 like I linked. But, we haul the Goldwing in our truck now and have been for a while. As stated earlier, I've seen plenty of shorter Diesel coaches with Hydralifts on them and spoke with the owners. They and, their coach are still alive and well.
Scott
Old 10-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Apparently you can't read. I'm pretty sure I stated he shouldn't do it.
Scott
Yes, I can read although spelling can be a problem. I appreciate it that you said he should not do it. Doubt after weighing ready to travel, even if it's actually a 32' (15K rear axle) or 34' (17.5K rear axle) he will have enough reserve capacity.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #13

OR gas has a 5000lb hitch with 500lb max tong weight rating. So why would you put 900lbs on it regardless of rear axle loading? Depending on year, there are also recalls on the hitches.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #14

Fire Up must attend motorcycle rallies 'cause in my 40+ years of driving I can count on one hand the motorcycle lifts I've seen on the back of RV's...and have a couple fingers left over. They are rarer than hens teeth. Motorcycle lifts are way overpriced ($6000-8000 installed) and good luck trying to sell it once you decide you no longer need it. You gotta have three class V hitches welded up and reputable installers are few and far between.

Plus, like everyone including Fire Up has told you, you're going to be so far overloaded on your rear axle, you'll be a safety hazard to everyone on the highway including yourself and your family. Fire Up had a diesel pusher and was 2600 hundred pounds over his axle weight for Pete's sake! 2600 pounds overweight is not a rounding error.

Do everyone a favor and get a trailer!
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tiffin