Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Speaking of trailer...why not use a trailer than you can have the bike and car enclosed and not worry about it??
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if I remember right, when I did my calculation on my GW which weighs about 900, and another 350 for the Hydralift actually adds almost 2200 to the rear once it is lifted.

here is another recent link on the topic. also is a picture of the Hydralift on the back of my Tour.

bob

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/driv...ft-222951.html
Old 11-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Your only adding 1200 pounds on the hitch. Some of us add allot more pulling a trailer.
Actually, I know of no hitch attachment lift that will work with the weight of an HD Ultra. The one's Ive seen have a max of 500#s. Otherwise they also call for a three way attachment, two of which are bolted or welded.

As to doing this with no tag...I can only say that at one time the Hydra-lift web site had over 100 coach pictures of customer installed lifts with virtually all on single rear axle...beavers, Country Coach, Alfas Newmars, Winnies, Foretravel, etc.

But I agree, I'd have a serious view of weight loading on axle, both front (as it does make a difference on the front too) and rear. I'd also check to see what the chassis maker says about add ons WRT their warrantee if your coach is still under it..may need to notify them. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You always have the alternative of using a toad that you can carry the bike in back....
In my case, the ATV is in the bed of the truck The motorcycle has no place to go except the lift.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Bigdsl, Yes you have a dual tire rating of 22,700 BUT what is your rear AXLE rated at?
I'm showing 23K on the rear axle.
Bigdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Actually, I know of no hitch attachment lift that will work with the weight of an HD Ultra. The one's Ive seen have a max of 500#s. Otherwise they also call for a three way attachment, two of which are bolted or welded.

But I agree, I'd have a serious view of weight loading on axle, both front (as it does make a difference on the front too) and rear. I'd also check to see what the chassis maker says about add ons WRT their warrantee if your coach is still under it..may need to notify them. JMHO
Of the three lifts I've been considering...Blue Ox, Cruiserlift, and Hydra Lift...they all have a 1000# capacity.

I contacted Monaco and their response was a question first "Do I have a side radiator?", I answered yes, then they said "We've seen many people do it, but we can't recommend for or against. We didn't design the coach/frame to carry a lift...we designed it to pull a vehicle or trailer".
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Your only adding 1200 pounds on the hitch. Some of us add allot more pulling a trailer.
Big difference between pulling and carrying. The 5K lb. hitch on my Adventurer is rated for 5,000 lbs tow weight but only 500lbs (10%) of tongue load (weight on the rear axle) which counts in your CGVW. A motorcycle lift is ALL axle weight and as other posters have said, it is multiplied by the distance from the rear axle to the lift. 500 lbs at the axle is 500 lbs but 500 lbs 15 feet behind the axle is a LOT more....
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
if I remember right, when I did my calculation on my GW which weighs about 900, and another 350 for the Hydralift actually adds almost 2200 to the rear once it is lifted.

here is another recent link on the topic. also is a picture of the Hydralift on the back of my Tour.

bob

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/driv...ft-222951.html
Thanks for the link Maj....very interesting reading. Still seems like it depends a lot on a specific coach, the actual weight of the coach, the weight rating of the coach, and the weight calculation.

Still on the fence, but next time I take her out and a CAT scale is close, I'm going to weigh her and do the weight calculation to see if a lift is even a consideration in my case.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Big difference between pulling and carrying. The 5K lb. hitch on my Adventurer is rated for 5,000 lbs tow weight but only 500lbs (10%) of tongue load (weight on the rear axle) which counts in your CGVW. A motorcycle lift is ALL axle weight and as other posters have said, it is multiplied by the distance from the rear axle to the lift. 500 lbs at the axle is 500 lbs but 500 lbs 15 feet behind the axle is a LOT more....
I second that emotion. That's why I guess for me I'll have to do the actual weight and calculate how much I'm adding for my coach. There's already enough systems on these things to go wrong...no sense in creating another.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #24

I'm contemplating one of these lifts myself, I dowloaded the BlueOx calculation form and took my measurements today. My set-up/numbers came out to roughly 1305# (lift and MC) I'll be adding to the rear axle.

Looking at my MH spec tag, it looks like my rear axle is rated at 16,000 lbs and my brand new XZE's are rated at 10,140 lbs at each dual end, so 20,280 total.

Quite honestly, I don't know what all these numbers mean since I don't know how much static weight is presently sitting on the rear axle? So how could I possibly know if the additional 1305 lbs is below or above the limit???
Old 11-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
Quite honestly, I don't know what all these numbers mean since I don't know how much static weight is presently sitting on the rear axle? So how could I possibly know if the additional 1305 lbs is below or above the limit???
You will have to actually weigh your coach to see what the actual front and rear axle weights are. Subtract the actual weight for each axle from your coach's data plate with GAWR or Gross Axle Weight Rating, and that will let you know if 1305# is above or below the Axle Rating.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #26

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #27

New coach advise

Just purchased our first coach, traded in a 45' voltage toy hauler and was considering a trailer for car, HD, and kayaks on the back of our new Entegra Anthem 45'.We researched parks with accommodations for storage of trailer and found they are very limited.
We just bought the 2014 f-150 limited as a tow vehicle and was considering the Hydralift for our 2003 road king along with thule racks for kayaks . I was just looking for advise on weight issues if any and covering of the bike since I am a little fussy about my scoot but don't really mind cleaning it.
Lv2build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2build View Post
Just purchased our first coach, traded in a 45' voltage toy hauler and was considering a trailer for car, HD, and kayaks on the back of our new Entegra Anthem 45'.We researched parks with accommodations for storage of trailer and found they are very limited.
We just bought the 2014 f-150 limited as a tow vehicle and was considering the Hydralift for our 2003 road king along with thule racks for kayaks . I was just looking for advise on weight issues if any and covering of the bike since I am a little fussy about my scoot but don't really mind cleaning it.
Why not put the bike in the F-150 with a Rampage lift ? I carry my road Glide in the back of my Ranger and it works fine. That way, you don't have the worries with the weight issue on the coach axles
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote