Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Motorcycle Lifts

I am considering a blue ox sc4200 to carry my ultra. Anyone with any experience with this lift or the others out there... Good or bad... Would be appreciated.
Bigdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Before going to the expense of the lift, go to Blue Ox web site and use their weight computation diagram to figure the amount of weight you'll be putting on your rear axle. The lift when mounted on the rear puts a LOT more weight on the rear axle then just the lift and MC's weight due to the distance behind the axle it is. This distance acts as a lever and multiplies the weight. IMO I would not use a rear MC lift UNLESS I have a TAG Axle MH.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Have the Hydralift. Works well; however, I have serious concerns of all lifts on some of the roads in the country. It is about 1300#s at the end of a lever with the Ultra. Some of the dips really put pressure on the straps holding the bike. I have broken one footage off, shearing the bolt holding the strap to the rear passenger foot peg, and several straps. Can't really fault the lift...just a lot of momentum down and up when you take the coach through some of the dips on the roadways.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I have a Overbuilt lift I'm selling, if your interested. Problem is I won't be home until the end of Dec. I had a 900 pound Harley on back of my 2011 Knight and never knew it was there. This lift will fit on the back of your RV, or pickup and can lift a bike up to 1500 pounds, or more. The web site says the lift can handle 6000 pounds. Don't think I would. Can also be converted to haul a ATV, wheelchair, or anything else you can think of. Tow your car also with it's built in receiver. As of now it is installed on my RV so you can see how it works. This is an electric model winch making it easy to wire up. Hook the two wires to your battery and your good to go. Hydraulic powered lifts are a pain to install and don't do the job any better then electric. Electric eliminates the need for a hydraulic pump and the plumbing. No rust, with new winch, wire rope, 2 gauge electric wire and remote winch switch. Rear lights and tow car wiring included.
See it at Motorcycle Carrier | Motorcycle Lift | Motorcycle Trailer | RV | Pickup Truck | Motorhome
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

I suggest you do a search and read the dozens of post on this subject. I have had a lift on four coaches three were over weight on duals and the 42' with tag that was ok on weight put me at max on fronts with tag set up to balance weight.

I would never put a bike on the back of a gas rig or dp that did not have at least 8 bag air suspension and the ccw checked closely.

I use a 4x4 pickup with rampage lift to load the 1200 lb trike I now ride.

good luck
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #6

This past spring I purchased a used gas MH that had an overbuilt lift on it. I talked to the previous owner and asked what he had hauled and he hauled a Harley on it. When it was installed the owner also put air bags on the rear. I am amazed how well built this is and last week I took it off before putting my motorhome in storage and was amazed how easy it was to tear apart and take off. I can do it by myself in about 20 minutes. Mine is an older model and you have to crank it by hand but I don't think it would take much to put an electric winch on it. I have a Gold Wing and I have yet to convince myself to haul it so I probably will sell it for a very reasonable price. If you are interested please e mail me. I'm in upstate NY.
Super14j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the information. I think for the time being I'm going to research a little more.
I have a 40' Monaco Exec, which probably would handle it, I'm still a little leary about my $30k motorcycle hanging from the rear in the open. I absolutely love the idea of carrying the bike and towing the car, would like to hear from more folks about the long term... If they've had any major problems.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdsl View Post
I have a 40' Monaco Exec, which probably would handle it
You will probably exceed your tire weight limit on the rear duals. I use an Overbilt lift with a 425# bike and am under the tire limits but that big bike you want to haul will add quite a lever out there. The Overbilt lift weighs about 300#.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
You always have the alternative of using a toad that you can carry the bike in back...that's the way I started with a Big Boy ramp and driving up into the back. Unlike the trike, though, it was always a bit scary for this older guy. If you go that way, recommend the electric loading devices made for p/u beds. Generally cheaper than a good lift on the back of the coach. Not sure but if I didn't have it to do all over, I'd go that way, and I don't have any loading or weight problems with my coach. There are probably 4 or 5 long threads on the subject.

Last point would be that the Hydralift has a number (over 100 photos) of different coaches that they have successfully place the rear coach lift on. You might find you coach there. There are also those that have put the lifts and bike on the back of 5th wheels. Seems strange with tongue weight and much lower strength frames I would think., but they are successful.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
You will probably exceed your tire weight limit on the rear duals. I use an Overbilt lift with a 425# bike and am under the tire limits but that big bike you want to haul will add quite a lever out there. The Overbilt lift weighs about 300#.
That's what I'm afraid of.

I have brand new tires rated at 5675# each in a dual wheel configuration ( 22,700 total).

I haven't put the coach on the scales yet to do the weight calculation.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You always have the alternative of using a toad that you can carry the bike in back...that's the way I started with a Big Boy ramp and driving up into the back. Unlike the trike, though, it was always a bit scary for this older guy. If you go that way, recommend the electric loading devices made for p/u beds. Generally cheaper than a good lift on the back of the coach. Not sure but if I didn't have it to do all over, I'd go that way, and I don't have any loading or weight problems with my coach. There are probably 4 or 5 long threads on the subject.

Last point would be that the Hydralift has a number (over 100 photos) of different coaches that they have successfully place the rear coach lift on. You might find you coach there. There are also those that have put the lifts and bike on the back of 5th wheels. Seems strange with tongue weight and much lower strength frames I would think., but they are successful.
I like that idea of carrying it in the bed of the toad. My wife may not, as that would mean I get to shop for another vehicle. :-) Were planning to use our existing ford edge to tow behind.

As far as the pics on hydra lift, I haven't seen them, but I have seen them on cruiser lift's website...even has a pic of an Exec with one installed.... But again, wondering long term and real world functionality.

Spoke with a guy this weekend who has the unit to carry his ultra behind his fifth wheel. He loves it. It has a small wheel on the ground behind it to lessen the strain on the 5'ers frame. The little wheel on the ground behind it had me wondering what happens if it goes flat going down the road and he has no way of knowing about it.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Bigdsl, Yes you have a dual tire rating of 22,700 BUT what is your rear AXLE rated at?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #13

Sorry guys, and I don't want to start a war, but I would never put a lift on a non-tag coach.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Your only adding 1200 pounds on the hitch. Some of us add allot more pulling a trailer.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote