Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
Strapping down motorcycles

Sorry for the delay Scarab0088, I hadn't seen your post with questions. I bought the Condor PS-1500 and was not planing on attaching it to the floor, based on the issues that I saw raised by others in this forum (access to underneath because of fuel tanks). I've read a few other posts elsewhere about strapping, so I have some idea. My husband and I are actually going to try to load the bikes later this afternoon. We don't leave until Saturday, but he won't have time later in the week to do it, so today is it! Thanks again for your suggestions.
AirCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
Well…… we got 'er done last night, but I'm not real thrilled with all of the placements of the straps. We had difficulty because I had a stacking washer/dryer put in the garage, which covered up one of the front corner floor loops. I may try and work on this again before we leave. I'm most concerned about the front straps, which aren't very visible. And BTW, that was a real PITA. I'm hoping that the maiden voyage is the hardest and it will come easier with practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9088.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	125271  
Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always tie down with everything pulling forward so if any straps come loose it keeps the push against the chock. I have seen someone that had the front straps come loose and then a bike slipped back and fell over in a trailer because they had straps pulling to the back.

Our Condor is braced against the front of the outlaw with a 2x12 so it can't move forward and all straps put toward the front.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #18

or 120
Old 04-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I always tie down with everything pulling forward so if any straps come loose it keeps the push against the chock. I have seen someone that had the front straps come loose and then a bike slipped back and fell over in a trailer because they had straps pulling to the back.

Our Condor is braced against the front of the outlaw with a 2x12 so it can't move forward and all straps put toward the front.

That's awesome info. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the pic as well. I think we'll work on restrapping before we leave. Did you add the channel track in the floor? Suggestions on type of place to go to have it installed (RV dealer, motorcycle dealership, trailer dealer)?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCarol View Post
That's awesome info. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the pic as well. I think we'll work on restrapping before we leave. Did you add the channel track in the floor? Suggestions on type of place to go to have it installed (RV dealer, motorcycle dealership, trailer dealer)?
The e-track comes installed from the factory on the older Outlaws. I did put the short e-track in myself that you see under the wood blocks. You could easily install some yourself, it comes in many sizes.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 2 common track style tie-down systems in the after market...E and L Track.

E-Track is pictured and can be obtained at many places including Harbor Freight.

L (AKA Q'Straint or Airline) track is more expensive, but has more options, IMHO.

See them here: A, L & E-Track Tie Down Straps & Rail | DiscountRamps.com
and at other accessory outlets.
We are not affiltiated.

It's a simple screw-in addition.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #22

On my 5th wheel toy hauler I used the HF chocks and had a local aluminum fabricator make a bar using 1/4" angle with a 18" x 6" plate welded to the middle facing aft. The aluminum angle ran the full length across the garage and I cut slots in it and fed a tie down ring up through it and secured with clips. Sorry I don't have pictures. I bolted one chock on the right side of the bar and used 4 straps to secure the bike in the garage. I did remove and reinforce with large fender washers the tie down rings. When I did carry a second bike, I bolted the other chock to a 3' x 8' 1/2" plywood base and slid it under the aluminum bar on the left side and secured the bike with 4 ratchet straps. Drove across country with 2 HD Electra Glides and nothing moved.

I don't like the "pingle" style chock because it can be difficult to back the bike out of it. The HF black or Condor can be adjusted better so the bike is captured in the chock without being trapped. All the chock is doing is holding the bike upright and the straps secure it from moving. I had the HD fork tie down part put on my 11 and 15 HDs. Much better that trying to use the handle bars.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #23

I guess there is more than one way to transport a bike, but I am a firm believer in rails long enough for both wheels to fit in with a chock in the front and attached to the transporting vehicle in some manner. I've used a lot of other methods, but for me this has never failed. I usually build my own from scrapyard metal.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have four bikes in our trailer at present. I use the heavy duty HF for the harley. I used narrow squared off ubolts purchased from a trailer supply for anchoingt the HF cross frame through the floor and large square washers under the floor for pull through safety. That chock allow for me to use tie downs around the handle bars to the built in out rigger eyelets. I also tie down the rear of the bike too. they can really move around on rough roadways.

for the smaller dirt bikes I use the cheaper HF stand. Then I use the HF Loop type cargo rings and use self tapping #14 metal screws through the wood floor to the frame for attaching the tie downs.

I have always compress my forks on every bike for the passed 40 years and never heard of the seal going bad. My ride very well over thousands of miles. I would never do anything to hurt my Harley or my antique Suzuki dirt bikes.

I my garage I use the heavy duty HF chock epoxy anchor bolted to the floor for security sake. my more expensive old bikes are kept suspended from the ceiling in my garage for safe keeping.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #25

Here is an article I wrote many years ago for Sport Rider Magazine. You may find some info here that helps you too

Motorcycle Tie Down Comparison Test | Sport Rider
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote