Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
The last place I would take the motorhome is the 'recommended' shop suggested by your insurance company. You need the shop working on YOUR behalf, not that of the insurance carrier who is trying to get by for the smallest $$ outlay possible. Take it to a shop that has a vested intrest in you, and getting you the best repair possible.
Let me help you out a little, jcthorne.

The only body shops I know of that are "owned" by an insurance company is Sterling which is owned by Allstate Insurance. Now that is the fox guarding the hen house in my opinion.

My collision shop was on the DRP* program with several insurance companies and all that really means is the insurance companies will accept our estimate just as they would any company adjusters. Now why would we want to cut any needed repairs?

*Direct Repair Program (DRP) repair facilities are shops that have formed strategic alliances with insurers. The shop meets the insurance company’s criteria of their specific program and the shop agrees to do business in that manner. The insurance company’s purpose of DRP (Direct Repair Programs) is to streamline the claims settlement process and they work closely with a select repair facility to accomplish that. The shop agrees to provide many of the administrative duties of the insurance carrier in exchange for the referral. All insurance companies, just like repair facilities are not the same. It is the consumer’s responsibility to determine if this program is what you want, or if this is how you want your vehicle repaired. The repair facility must explain the repair process to you, the vehicle owner. It should be understood and agreed upon on what is being repaired vs. what is being replaced, and what type parts are being utilized in the repair process prior to the vehicle owner authorizing the shop to proceed with the vehicle repairs. It is the consumer’s responsibility and right to choose the repair facility of their choice and authorize the repairs based on a thorough and agreed upon damage evaluation. DRP’s (Direct Repair Programs) are an optional program of the insurance carrier. The consumer is not required or obligated to use a DRP repair facility. If you have any questions in regards to your rights about using a DRP make sure to see documentation of your State Insurance Commissioner

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Let me help you out a little, jcthorne.

The only body shops I know of that are "owned" by an insurance company is Sterling which is owned by Allstate Insurance. Now that is the fox guarding the hen house in my opinion.

My collision shop was on the DRP* program with several insurance companies and all that really means is the insurance companies will accept our estimate just as they would any company adjusters. Now why would we want to cut any needed repairs?

*Direct Repair Program (DRP) repair facilities are shops that have formed strategic alliances with insurers. The shop meets the insurance company’s criteria of their specific program and the shop agrees to do business in that manner. The insurance company’s purpose of DRP (Direct Repair Programs) is to streamline the claims settlement process and they work closely with a select repair facility to accomplish hat. The shop agrees to provide many of the administrative duties of the insurance carrier in exchange for the referral. All insurance companies, just like repair facilities are not the same. It is the consumer’s responsibility to determine if this program is what you want, or if this is how you want your vehicle repaired. The repair facility must explain the repair process to you, the vehicle owner. It should be understood and agreed upon on what is being repaired vs. what is being replaced, and what type parts are being utilized in the repair process prior to the vehicle owner authorizing the shop to proceed with the vehicle repairs. It is the consumer’s responsibility and right to choose the repair facility of their choice and authorize the repairs based on a thorough and agreed upon damage evaluation. DRP’s (Direct Repair Programs) are an optional program of the insurance carrier. The consumer is not required or obligated to use a DRP repair facility. If you have any questions in regards to your rights about using a DRP make sure to see documentation of your State Insurance Commissioner

Exactly. I do not want any shop that has an 'allliance with the insurer' I want one that has an alliance with ME. I am the customer, not the insurance company. I do not want a shop that the insurance company will accept the estimate without question because they know the shop will estimate and perform the work the cheapest way possible, rather than the best and safest.

I am in the middle of a battle with State Farm on getting my wife's 8 month old Lincoln repaired. Thank goodness it was NOT repaired according to the estimate SF wrote. Unsafe, not warratable and would never be right. Yea it would have looked ok but would not have met OEM strength and crash worthyness standards. SF is agreeing to pay to do it right, but thier shop would have done it thier way. My shop is doing it right acording to ICAR and OEM. My shop works for ME, not SF.

I predict that, just as company prescribed shops have been mostly outlawed, so will these strategic alliances. They work against the consumer and for the insurance companies.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JC,
You must have spent some time finding a shop that isn't aligned with an insurance company. The majority of the dealers and the reputable shops will have some association with at least one insurance company.

Of the 1000's of insurance jobs we did, we never did one for an insurance company. Our contract was with the vehicle owner not the insurance company. Again I'll ask you, why would it benefit the shop to cut corners by not doing the necessary work? That is money (profit) out of our pocket. It was always our responsibility to the customer to make sure the job was done right. Yep, we were ICAR certified also and some day I'll let you know what that really means.

Our goal was to fix it right and fix it the first time. We never wanted a vehicle returned for something we failed to fix properly.

I don't understand your statement that "their shop would have..." State Farm doesn't own any shops to my knowledge, only Allstate owns Sterling Collision.

I wish you luck and I'm sure your shop will repair your car to your satisfaction.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have USAA insurance and go to "their" recommended shop, they warrant the work for as long as you own the car. That being said, your insurance company may well have the same agreement, which stands to reason that they would want to have the work done correctly so as to NOT have to fix it at a later date. JMHO.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #19

That is exactly what that 'lifetime warranty' is supposed to make you think. In reality, the 'warranty' is not worth the paper its written on. There are ALWAYS other reasons any body repair will fail. Environmental fallout, maintainance, owner abuse, events out of the original repairer's control etc. Been there and done that with a 3 year old repair done by Sterling quite a number of years ago because I went there on recomendation from an insurance company. Useless.

I was not referring to the ICAR certificataion but rather to the repair proceedures they publish which for some vehicles are very well written.

Latest news on my Wife's Lincoln is that some of the sound insulation parts that are factory installed in the frame are not availalbe as parts. We are now pushing SF to total the car because of a relativly minor side impact that cannot be restored to new condition as Ford will not sell the parts. SF is dealing with Ford directly at the moment trying to obtain parts that the dealer cannot. Said they had been able to do so on previous occaisions. We will see. A repair that should take about 2 weeks will take 6 to 8 because of the delays, and parts availablity.

Oh, the shop I am dealing with is very reputable. Been in business for over 40 yrs. Normally does resotorations of antique cars but does some collision repair for long term clients. The main business is mechanical repair. They are 'associated' with several insurance companys in that all the majors know them well and they are on thier regular rounds. IE SF rep is there every tues afternoon and sometimes on Friday mornings. There is a difference in association and a strategic alliance. The difference is who the shop ultimately performs for.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #20

After 40 years of claims handling most insurnace companies do have "preferred" shops, usually these are ones that your claims rep would have worked with in the past and knows their work and can also work with the shop on the inspection, estimate, and repairs.

Unless your policy has uninsured coverage (UM) for Property Damage (vehicle) usually the UM coverage is for bodily injury only.

There should be nothing in the policy that would require you to have the insurance company's shop complete repairs.

Also, remember that the shop is working for you and not the insurance company.

Inspect the repairs and have the shop show you what work they completed before you sign off on the repairs.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I can highly recommend Mike's Collision in Wilmington, NC. They specialize in RV repairs and did a fantastic job on our coach after it suffered $50k in damage in an accident. Mostly front end.

Some large RV shops like Lazydays in Tampa have excellent body & chassis shops, but most dealers do not have the facilities for major body work or chassis repair.

If your factory offers customer-paid (includes insurance) repairs, that's your best bet, but not all manufacturers do that. Tiffin and Fleetwood do, and I believe Winnie as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
JSW

I highly recommend Extreme Paint and Graphics in Nacogdoches, Texas.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
It's been a while since I was involved with a hit and run, but the response from the insurance company might be "We can't cover it under uninsured motorist since the driver did not stick around to give you any information."
Uhh... If the other driver stuck around to give the information it wouldn't be hit and run now would it!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Uhh... If the other driver stuck around to give the information it wouldn't be hit and run now would it!!
that's correct - but how do you convince the insurance company to cover you under Uninsured if you don't know for a fact that the driver had no insurance?

I went through this very scenario many years ago when we were rear-ended one night. The other driver left the scene. We had a police report, witness statements, and everything in order - but our insurance would NOT pay out under our UM coverage. They did, however, pay out under our collision coverage - up to the maximum of our coverage.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
y suggestion would be to use an independent body shop that has a paint booth large enough for the mh. The coach builder would be the last place I would take it. Yes, they are familiar with building it but they certainly won't have much experience in repairing body damage. Would you send you car back to the Detroit assembly line to have the right fender replaced? Didn't think so! Besides, will the coach builder want to interupt their assembly line production to work in a "spot paint" job.

Of course I may be off base, maybe the coach builders have a collision repair facility. If they do, thats a different situation.

Good luck.
We worked with Gulfstream, National,Fleetwood,Tiffin (allegro),Travel Supreme, and others.They all had shops set up for repairs. MH's get dinged during manufacture,parking in the storage yard and delivery. They will never put a coach on the assembly line. The rule is never shut down the assembly line except in the case of a nuclear attack and then start up as soon as the mushroom cloud goes away.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
that's correct - but how do you convince the insurance company to cover you under Uninsured if you don't know for a fact that the driver had no insurance?

I went through this very scenario many years ago when we were rear-ended one night. The other driver left the scene. We had a police report, witness statements, and everything in order - but our insurance would NOT pay out under our UM coverage. They did, however, pay out under our collision coverage - up to the maximum of our coverage.
My stepson had the same situation. He was side swiped by a tractor trailer. The Truck didn't stop , probably didn't even know he hit anything. The insurance co said they could only charge uninsured/underinsured if they could find the vehicle that caused the accident. They fixed it on his Collision policy. Oddly enough he only hit the mirror, which in turn my stepson reacted & lost control of his car at 70mph on I-40. He ended up hitting a highway exit sign. Did 11K of damage to a 6 month old car. Could have had it totaled or repaired it was borderline. If they had totaled it he would of had to pay for the depreciation & would have lost money on the deal. It took 3 months to repair, & when completed you could not tell. He drove it for 8 more years & sold it last year for fair market value.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, repair