Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 04:39 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome advice need

I have a Class A, 33ft gas burner that i am going to sell and replace with a Diesel Pusher. Here are my questions:

I have a F250 4x4, is that to much truck to pull. i also plan to put a golf cart in the bed of the truck.

what are the pros and cons of a "Tag Wheel" Not sure i want or need one

where does a 08 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH stack up in quality of motor home

thanks to anyone responding jim
jimallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First ? Is your vehicle towable? I love our tag for handling and carrying capacity. I think your answers though will be model specific. While we can carry a 1000 lb moto/golf lift and tow a Yukon, other models may not be capable. I suggest you research a few homes and floor plans and match them to your plans.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 AM   #3

Calculate an estimated weight of the truck with the golf cart in its bed and limit your coach search to those models with adequate towing capacity. Most tow setups seem to be in 5,000 pound increments. 5k will almost certainly be insufficient; 10k is probably enough. FWIW, a previous owner of my MH towed a 2WD, regular cab F150 with a golf cart in the bed on the factory 5,000-pound hitch.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #4

Yes you can probably pull an F-250 with a golf cart in the bed with a 5,000 lb rated hitch. However, if you are ever in an accident, even if it is not your fault and even if the accident is not related to towing, you may be liable especially if the lawyer sees you have deep pockets and class A motorhomes usually tells them that you do.

I have seen receiver hitches pull completely off a motorhome. So if you want pull an F-250 (6,000 + lbs) with a 5,000 lb hitch rating, you will be taking a big chance and that is WITHOUT THE GOLF CART.

You need a motorhome with at least a 10,000 lb hitch rating.

The 36 QSH Phaeton has a 10,000 lb hitch. The Phaeton is probably the best selling bran in that size diesel pusher.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Look for a coach with a 10K hitch, the base curb weight of the current 2WD model of that truck is between 6,400 and 7.200 lbs depending on options. Even at 6,400 lbs you're 20% above capacity of a 5K hitch.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #6

The 08 Phaeton does have the 10,000 lb hitch. As far as quality, don't know first hand but i have read here in the forums where they were recommended.

Found various answers on whether or how an F250 can be towed four down. Your best bet is to look in the manual for your truck. I did find that they weigh more than 5000 lbs and can be quite a bit heavier depending on engine and options.

Here's a link to another thread here on iRV:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/towin...ty-186498.html
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Toy Hauler 5th wheel maybe your solution?

Example: Raptor
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Generally speaking, if the towed vehicle had a shiftable transfer case with a neutral selection, it's easy to tow but check your manual before you listen to me or anybody else.
A 10k hitch is fine for what you want to do but by all means crawl
Under the back and inspect all the welds and bolts for cracks or looseness or have a qualified service person do it. Also with that weight toad, an auxiliary brake is a must, especially with a two axle MH (less brakes than with a tag axle). Good luck! - Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

By all means, check that the vehicle can indeed be towed four down before spending all that money having tow equipment installed. Don't take a salesman's word for it either. Get the owner's manual out and find it in writing!

Tags
motorhome, advice

« TPMS | How Long ??? »